G4 iBook specs leaked?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From this article at

The Register

Quote:

A major UK reseller may have inadvertently pre-announced Apple's intention to migrate the iBook consumer notebook line to the G4 processor.

Dabs' latest computer magazine off-the-page sales advert refers to a "iBook G4". The machine is equipped with a 500MHz processor, 60GB hard drive, 256MB of memory and a DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive. It also sports a 15in display, the ad says.

The price for the machine is £859 -$1408 excluding sales tax.

500mhz!!..Somehow I can't believe that one.

Thoughts...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proxy

From this article at

The Register

Thoughts...

If it's true, that's lame!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    *LOL*

`Plz close this stupid thread!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

*LOL*

`Plz close this stupid thread!

Well if The Reg says it's true than it must be
  • Reply 4 of 21
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    It's certainly there in the Dabs flyer - I've scanned it in but I don't think I can upload it to the board here (just refer to an alternative location on the web which I can't provide at present). The reference number doesn't bring up a record at the Dabs site any more (if it ever did).

The weird thing is how something like this got to be in the flyer - there's no clear alternative product that could be accounted for unless there were multiple mistakes in drafting it, which is not really that likely. The cheapest PB G4 15" is £1599, and the nearest priced iBook is a 12.1" combo at £1049 which has 512MB RAM and a 40GB HD. The only other possibility is that this is a total aberration or someone just made it up out of thin air. Maybe it's all just an attempt to get some publicity??
  • Reply 5 of 21
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    iBook moving to widescreen displays? - Why not. 15" and 13" would be nice.

iBook moving to G4 processors? - Why not. However, I'd expect a 867 MHz version at least.

Now, _if_ Apple would do a 500 MHz version, just to clearly differentiate between PowerBooks and iBooks, a 15" widescreen iBook would still be a nice machine to buy if you're on a budget.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I don't believe this is anything other than an error.

I just can believe that school kids are going to lug around a 15" lap top. As for a 500mhz G4, why bother, for general use the 900mhz G3 would be better and it isn't made by Moto.

I do agree that 13 & 15 widescreen would make some sense, but the addvert just doesn't say that.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proxy

From this article at The Register: ... UK reseller may have inadvertently pre-announced ...

Then don't! 500MHz is a crappy hoax! Maybe the number was only a second "inadvertently" typo...

Until now, Apple has never introduced new or updated products with a lower processor speed than it's predecessor. There is no reason doing so right now.

As they just took the 12"-PB from 867MHz to 1G, they could replace the iBook line with 800 and 900MHz G4-Processors. That would make sense and would not cannibalize the 12"-PB, because that one still differentiates enough from the iBook with its Superdrive, AirportExtreme, FiWi800, external screen connector (iBook only mirror mode)
  • Reply 8 of 21
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Now that speculation of a G5 Powerbook is over, the last thing Apple wants is talk of a G4 iBook.

Imagine all the people sitting on the fence waiting for a G4 iBook? Surely Apple would much rather prefer they focus on and buy from the products currently available.

I'd love to see a G4 iBook, but I doubt seeing a 15" model unless it was severely limited in it's graphics and display res. I've always thought having only one size iBook at 13" would be perfect. Crank up the res a bit too and maybe widescreen as well.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    If Apple were to use a 500 Mhz chip, then I'd say Steve has gone nuts... That would be plain out stupid!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

If Apple were to use a 500 Mhz chip, then I'd say Steve has gone nuts... That would be plain out stupid!

There only so far you can stretch "Megahertz Myth Marketing", and I'm afraid this elastic won't make it to the moon.

Forget it, it's a publicity stunt on the part of the Web Site to get traffic so they can sell whatever they really have ...

"What, a 500Mhz G4 iBook? Are you crazy, it was soooo obviously a typo, now please pay for your purchases and get out, and come again!"

• Reply 11 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Besides, I maintain that Steve has ordered engineering to never make him have to say the phrase "500MHz" again.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    iBooks will limp along with the G3 however long it takes until PowerBooks have G5s. Then, and only then, can I imagine the iBooks getting G4s, and they'll be G4s at speeds faster than the current G3s.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    500 Mhz G4? My god, by that time Power Books in addition to the towers will have the G5. Putting a 500 Mhz G5 in an iBook at that time would even be lame....
  • Reply 14 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Dual G4 500s?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    The stupidity is overwhelming!!! The is the lamest rumor in a long time and even MacWorld UK is reporting it!!! Anyone believing that they would replace a 900 MHz G3 with a 500 MHz G4 is a downright fool!! (80% of the time the G3 would be faster than the G4)

If they made a super-entry-level iBook with 500 MHz G4 for something like 5-600$ that would be nice (though highly unlikely), but this is just dumb.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    lock thread. The Reg just corrected itself and said the retailer got it wrong... this was stupid from the start
  • Reply 17 of 21
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
  • Reply 18 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    If anyone actually believed this shitty rumor, please stop by after work so I can shoot you in the face.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Yah right there'd be a huge market for iBook 900s! Funny what some people will believe.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Now that speculation of a G5 Powerbook is over, the last thing Apple wants is talk of a G4 iBook.

Imagine all the people sitting on the fence waiting for a G4 iBook? Surely Apple would much rather prefer they focus on and buy from the products currently available.

I'd love to see a G4 iBook, but I doubt seeing a 15" model unless it was severely limited in it's graphics and display res. I've always thought having only one size iBook at 13" would be perfect. Crank up the res a bit too and maybe widescreen as well.

No Apple wants rumors of 500Mhz G4's so people would buy 'em before they're replaced.