Waiting for the perfect phone.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well, looks like Nokia is out of the question. Their continued refusal to play nice with Macs has lost them this customer after years of loyalty.

The SE610 is a beautiful phone. But people complain that the screen is too hard to see in the daytime and that it doesn't have enough memory. The fisrt complaint isn't all that important to me, but the second one has me concerned.

Anyone know when a more capable successor to the 610 will be released?

I'm extremely happy with my Nokia 6510 but I'd love to have polyphonic ringtones, Java games, Mac syncing and color wallpapers. Why didn't SE just give the 610 more memory? Geez.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Well, looks like Nokia is out of the question. Their continued refusal to play nice with Macs has lost them this customer after years of loyalty.

The SE610 is a beautiful phone. But people complain that the screen is too hard to see in the daytime and that it doesn't have enough memory. The fisrt complaint isn't all that important to me, but the second one has me concerned.

Anyone know when a more capable successor to the 610 will be released?

I'm extremely happy with my Nokia 6510 but I'd love to have polyphonic ringtones, Java games, Mac syncing and color wallpapers. Why didn't SE just give the 610 more memory? Geez.

According to my next door neighbor, business development guy for Ericsson Asia, not for a while. the 610 is selling so very well, no need to push new product out for at least a quarter or two. Focus is now on the 3 G phones for Europe and Japan.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I don't know what all the complaints about the T610 are about. The defualt theme is a little hard to read in direct sunlight, but with a different theme it is not a problem at all. I have not run into any memory issues at all. I have about 110 contacts in the adress book, my calenders for the next month, 45 midi ringtones, 12 games, 5 pictures, and I still have 500k left. This phone is amazing. Get it.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Yeah, I don't see why people complain about the memory on the t610. It has plenty of memory for a phone.

Like HOM, I have: a pile of contacts, 25 pictures that I have taken with the camera and attached to the phone book, 8 games, some added ringtones, and a couple of new themes.

After all of that, I still have about 450k free. Granted I did erase some of the built-in pictures and ringtones - who needs a crap reggae ringtone or a picture of an exit sign that they provide on the phone?

Yes, the screen is a bit difficult to see in direct sunlight, but not so bad that it's unreadable. Choosing a different theme can help. If this is a huge issue, you may want to get the Z600, which is to be released soon. It's a T610 in a clamshell form-factor, and it uses a much more readable TFT LCD screen. (With any luck, the TFT will be included in a further revision of the T610.)

Considering the size and specs of the phone, it's a complete no-brainer. It's not a smartphone, or a PDA! Unless you have thousands of contacts and a need to carry around every Java game ever created, get one.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:

Okay. You may have convinced me. Now which should I do, upgrade my 5GB iPod to a rev 3 version, or upgrade my phone? Both cost about the same. I can't afford to do both, and I'm still leaning toward the iPod.

What phone are you currently using?

I went from a T68i to the T610, only to fulfill my need for consumption.

The added benefits of the larger screen, camera, and Java aren't really neccessary.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

I'm using a Nokia 6510, which I love. It's small, fast, reliable, has great reception, and has a great phone book and can store loads of SMS messages and calendar notes, but it doesn't have any of the cool new goodies. Nor does it work with the Mac.

Meanwhile I have a 5GB iPod, 15GB of ripped music on my PowerBook, and about a thousand CDs I haven't bothered to rip. I want to get the new 20GB iPod, or I might splurge and get the 40.

Why don't you get a T68i (cheap now), and a 3G 15 or 30 gig iPod (which have been reduced in price at many resellers since the 20/40 introduction)?

That way you get the phone (with mac integration) and a bigger iPod!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Perfect = $30 Bluetooth phone
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Perfect = $30 Bluetooth phone

i didn't pay a dime for mine (nokia 3650)

here
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:

I hate the form factor of the T68i. It's waaay too big for me. And I don't really like phones with flips. But a tiny clamshell phone like a Samsung would be acceptable if it had the right features.

If you're concerned about size, I'm not sure a clamshell phone saves you any size ... well, not volume at least.

Personally, I hate clamshell phones: by the time you've unfolded them, they're huge.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Personally, Im waiting for a phone with support for video/voice chat!
  • Reply 10 of 23
    tonton, I am in about the same position as you. I had a Nokia 8310, which I really liked - very fast, intuitive interface in a nice small form. However, it didn't have bluetooth (so no sync with isync), so I gave it to my wife and got a SE T68i. I am somewhat ambivalent about this phone - I like the bluetooth, and it is ok in general, but it is s-l-o-w, the UI isn't great, and it hangs sometimes. I am hesitant to get the T610, mainly because of past problems I've had with the T68i (yes, it isn't fair, but...) and the screen (which is ok, not as great as some here seem to suggest, though). I will wait for the Nokia 6600 and iSync 1.2, hopefully the two will talk. It is sort of a monster of a phone, though...There is no mobile out there now that really has what I am looking for. And to be honest, I still half heartedly dream that Apple will blow everyone away and come out with an ipod of a mobile. Of course, I don't expect it at all, unfortunately.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Tell me about it... that's why I'm waiting.

[OT] So... how's Thailand? Not a real fan of Bangkok myself, but I had a great holiday in Phuket (Laguna) last winter. Are you Thai or a foreigner? I'm a foreigner living in Hong Kong but looking for a way to get out of here. [/OT]

[continuing OT...]

I am a foreigner, but I have lived here a long time now (in Bangkok). Ahh, Phuket is one of many wonderful places here in Thailand. I am jealous, the Laguna is really, really nice. I assume from your post you don't like HK. I always thought it was great, but never having lived there, what do I know

[/OT]

Back to ideal mobiles!
  • Reply 12 of 23
    does anybody know if the siemens SX1 will work with romeo or a similar remote-control program?

It seems like the perfect phone to me.

Here's the link
  • Reply 13 of 23
    I'm patiently awaiting the Motorola V600. Quad-band, bluetooth, camera, top notch reception and clarity (from beta reports), etc. It should be out in Oct/Nov. Also, it's a flip phone. Frankly I'm sick of having an exposed keypad. Even though I lock them religiously, they still get unlocked all the time. Lame.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I am waiting for the Treo 600. I like the Palm operating system, and I like the mini-keyboard (I own a Treo 90 now).
  • Reply 15 of 23
    ok, it is ugly

ok, typing numbers is a mess, but:

http://www.my-siemens.com/MySiemens/...2Fdesc,FF.html

the new siemens sx1 has lots of nice features, inlcuding playback ability for mp3 and mpeg4 (YES, your favorite tv show on a screen with less then 3 inches!)

it has voice dial (a must with this config of the keyboard), BT, adresses, lots of and expandable memory, iSync compatible, tri band... a very nice toy!

except it's ugly and typing numbers... ah? i did mention this...
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Personally, Im waiting for a phone with support for video/voice chat!

Funny,

Where I am (little old Adelaide, South Australia), getting a video mobile phone is easy (and cheaper than a quality normal phone) on a new network calling itself '3'. Only problem is no-one seems to want them as they are (by current standards) too big.

You can by 2 NEC video phones for about $800 Australian.

adamr
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

I am waiting for the Treo 600. I like the Palm operating system, and I like the mini-keyboard (I own a Treo 90 now).

I worked on their new york launch today. Its a cool phone. You'll be able to get it in October.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thai Moof

but it is s-l-o-w, the UI isn't great, and it hangs sometimes. I am hesitant to get the T610, mainly because of past problems I've had with the T68i

from what people say the slowness is gone in the os, i am upgrading my 68i to the 616 soon, the z's prob wont be out in the US for awhile\
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I just bought the SE T616 from AT&T. I love this thing! It actaully feels like something apple would have designed. I even have an Aqua theme for it so it look like its running an OS X light or something.

I downloaded the Salling Clicker demo thing and bought it within 2 minutes of using it. This is an amazing program- I can control my entire mac with it. When I leave the house my iChat status gets set to away and if I want I can have iTunes stop playing music! You can search your entire music library and choose the songs that you want to play- right from the phone!

Some things that I don't really like about it are:

the camera's image quality isn't all that great, but it does work- I'm not using it as much as I thought I would, but its cool to take little quick pics of funny stuff and e-mail it off to friends right from the phone...

the top 1/2 (plastic) part of the phone gets dirty way too easily. I seriously need to get some type of skin for the phone 'cause its going to be looking like my iPod in about 3 weeks (scratches).

other than those 2 things I think th phone is great! here are some pics that I took