Apple, others, sued over hard-drive size claims

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 83
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

The lawsuit is baseless. It will loose. I can't believe that people are suing over this. Their lawyers are so doomed in court that I wish I could get the videos of the case.

I don't agree at all. I think this case has a strong chance of making it. I'm quite sure that some competent lawyers will be able to round up a bunch of well-versed computer scientists who will be able to explain just why the accused are guilty of false advertising, and will be able to back that claim up with hard standards documents, the likes of which this thread has not yet seen.
  • Reply 82 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I don't agree at all. I think this case has a strong chance of making it. I'm quite sure that some competent lawyers will be able to round up a bunch of well-versed computer scientists who will be able to explain just why the accused are guilty of false advertising, and will be able to back that claim up with hard standards documents, the likes of which this thread has not yet seen.

IANAL, but i think the only way the lawsuit has a chance is if some hdd manufacturers didn't put any kind of translation on the box. if they just say 'X MB' and dont explain what a MB is, then there may be a claim, since SI or other units aren't common knowledge. the whole decimal v. binary units is irrlevant if they define their units explicitly. they could say 1MB=65 bytes, and advertise their drives like that. it would piss people off, but i dont think theres a legal argument against it. again, IANAL.
  • Reply 83 of 83
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Kibi, Mebi and Gibi. I was surprised to learn about these new prefixes in this discussion, and even more surprised to see so much enthusiasm and support for them from several of you. I decided to check with a senior software engineer who I know very well. He has worked for three different software development firms and knows many in this field. I figured he could tell me how these terms are being accepted among computer professionals. I just received his reply today and it is interesting:

"I don't know a single person that uses these terms, and personally I think the whole idea is rather stupid. We've been using kilo, mega, and giga for 30 years, and no one seems to be confused by what they mean."

So, my question is this. Where is the support for these new prefixes coming from? From the latest curriculum in computer science? From computer IT professionals? I have no idea and it would be interesting to find out.