Superdrive writes DVD-RW? Is this new?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Look here

Is this new? I didn't know tthey could do that.

Amorya

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yes, it is new. And get this- it will even be able to write DVD+R disks. Yes, folks, that was a plus sign you saw...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Sorry, but it's not new.

My dual 1 ghz Quicksilver's Superdrive does DVD-RW.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Yes, it is new. And get this- it will even be able to write DVD+R disks. Yes, folks, that was a plus sign you saw...

Is that supported or just a hack?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Is that supported or just a hack?

Hell, my iMac does it. You just need toast to erase the DVD. The finder will burn it no problem (DVD R/W that is).
  • Reply 5 of 15
  • Reply 6 of 15
    You cannot use DVD-RW media in powerbooks to record. At least not on my 1GHZ Ti.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I'm trying to decide whether I did a superdrive or not. I don't think i'll be making movies on it anytime soon. I hear it is a good thing to have if you want to Backup files regularly. However, this can be done with a combo drive too right? Can you point out some other uses for the superdrive besides making movies, if any? thanks
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cris84

I'm trying to decide whether I did a superdrive or not. I don't think i'll be making movies on it anytime soon. I hear it is a good thing to have if you want to Backup files regularly. However, this can be done with a combo drive too right? Can you point out some other uses for the superdrive besides making movies, if any? thanks

with a combo drive you can only backup to cds (650-700 MBs max per disk), with a superdrive you can backup on a dvd. that is a whopping 4.75GB per disk.

Jamil
  • Reply 9 of 15
    My 17-incher writes DVD-RWs. To rewrite, I format with disk utility.

But what's with data dvd-rs not being recognized by Windows computers? That's a bit of a pain.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I got some DVD+RWs which are supposedly supported on the sony drives issued on the G5's but this beast wont erase itjavascript:smilie('') any suggestions? thanks
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinnyman29

I got some DVD+RWs which are supposedly supported on the sony drives issued on the G5's but this beast wont erase itjavascript:smilie('') any suggestions? thanks

Did you try it with Toast?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    yes i did, thanks, it worked just fine
  • Reply 13 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

You cannot use DVD-RW media in powerbooks to record. At least not on my 1GHZ Ti.

Yes you can, I have. http://superdrive.cynikal.net/
  • Reply 14 of 15
    This? this is a lot to take in?

Tell me, what's the + mean in those disc designations?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Just an FYI, you can use diskutil to erase CD-RW and DVD-RW discs.

Do a diskutil --help command in the terminal to learn all of its options.

I stumbled onto this the other night when I enabled file system journaling.