10.2.8 out on swupdate

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    I forced a reboot and all is well except for one thing. All my music from iTunes is gone! How do I transfer it back from my iPod?
  • Reply 42 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I forced a reboot and all is well except for one thing. All my music from iTunes is gone! How do I transfer it back from my iPod?

Tell me your're kidding, right?
  • Reply 43 of 90
    Nope. All my music is gone!!! 2.86 Gig worth of music is gone!
  • Reply 44 of 90
    Quote:

PodMaster is the only solution that I've heard of for going from iPod to Mac. But I've never used it. Someone on this site must have.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:

That's exactly why I partitionned my HD in 4 pieces. All my data should be safe, in case an update goes wrong.

• Reply 46 of 90
    Check out macupdate.com. I haven't actually tried any, but there are a ton of programs listed that should help. The user feedback and reviews can help you make a decision on which is the best. Hope it helps.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Man, everything bad happens to you, Gregg. OK, I copied these instructions from iPod.iTunes. Follow them VERY carefully!

[SIZE=1]If the iPod preferences are set to "Automatically update all songs and playlists" (which is default) and you delete some or all of your tracks/playlists in your iTunes library by accident, iTunes will delete those tracks/playlists on the iPod!!!

- the next time you connect the iPod

- the next time you start iTunes while the iPod is connected

The auto update mode in iTunes creates always an exact mirror of the iTunes library on the iPod. If the tracks in the iTunes library are gone, they will also be deleted on the iPod.

To get the tracks/playlists in this situation back from the iPod, follow these steps exactly:

- Quit iTunes in case it's running.

- Disconnect the iPod in case it is connected.

- Start iTunes.

- Connect the iPod. In iTunes, immediately hold down the Option-Command keys. When the iPod appears in iTunes source column, wait five seconds, then release the keys.

This will skip the automatic iPod update, avoiding the deletion of the iPod tracks which you've accidentally deleted in iTunes before.

- Set the iPod preferences to "Manually manage songs and playlists".

To open the iPod preferences, select the iPod within iTunes source column, then click onto the upcoming iPod icon at the right bottom of the iTunes window (the left icon).

- Run iPod.iTunes to restore the desired tracks/playlists.

- You may now set the iPod preferences back to "Automatically update all songs and playlists".[/size=1]

------

OK, I test it and the iPod.iTunes software works.

I just tested it by deleting a song in my iTunes library and seeing if it will restore the copy on my iPod. It didn't do anything when I first launched it, wouldn't let me press any tabs or the "Start" button. Quit it, relaunched it, and it worked fine. It really takes its time though. One song took about 10 minutes, however much of that was scanning the whole iPod and copying the playlists, not copying the songs over. But let the software run its course. If you interrupt it, things might not fixed or might even make things worse, so be patient!

Man, I'm so sorry you're having these problems with your new Mac. I just feel bad that you took a chance, made the switch, but probably don't have a very good opinion of your Mac at this point.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    Quote:

Holy shnikes. I already updated and all is well (knock on wood).

Maybe the force reboot damaged your disk directory (similar to deleting files, they're still there just not listed). Can you reboot off your install CD and use disk repair?
  • Reply 49 of 90
    Well I am working with the iPod.iTunes software to try and restore it! Of course with my luck the whole computer will catch fire and burn my house down.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    All those stupid iPod extracting apps are retarded. There is an AppleScript that will extract tracks highlighted in iTunes, you just add it to your script menu. So much easier and of course iTunes has way more power then Podmaster to sort songs so you can find what you want immediately. I forget its name and I'm lazy. That's what you want though Gregg, but Podmaster also works. I would say use Disk Utility to make sure everything is ok. (from the boot cd)
  • Reply 51 of 90
    Quote:

If the rest of your data is still there, you should just be able to put the audio files from your home directory back in your iTunes library. You'll have to re-create your playlists and such, but hopefully that will solve the problem.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    Quote:

Well I am working with the iPod.iTunes software to try and restore it! Of course with my luck the whole computer will catch fire and burn my house down.

Yeah. Just send your Macs here and I'll send you our Dell desktop. I'll assume the fire risk, and you get a nice working Dell computer. I'll even pay shipping.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    Gee brand new 12inch PB, 12 inch iBook. G5 and a 500MHz TiBook for a Dell desktop! What a fair trade! At least let me pay the shipping. (Please note that this was sarcasm)
  • Reply 54 of 90
    Quote:

Gee brand new 12inch PB, 12 inch iBook. G5 and a 500MHz TiBook for a Dell desktop! What a fair trade! At least let me pay the shipping. (Please note that this was sarcasm)

• Reply 55 of 90
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I don't know torifile, it was a better deal when it included the 2.8GB of music. I'd probably pass on it now.

I'm seeing several people around the web that are having their networking killed after installing the update, and having to reinstall Jaguar to get online. I think I'll stick with my boring, old school 10.2.6 installation for a little while.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    I installed the 10.2.8 COMBO updater ... repaired permissions and fsck -y before and after applying the update ... no problems encountered at all.
  • Reply 57 of 90
    maybe its just me, but on my 933(1gigram) tower, window resizing seems faster, especially in safari.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

maybe its just me, but on my 933(1gigram) tower, window resizing seems faster, especially in safari.

could it be the system optimization that occurs after the update is applied?
  • Reply 59 of 90
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    itunes scrolling is smooth on my TiBook 1Ghz after the update. And Office just opened in one bounce... weird never done that before... Seems faster...
  • Reply 60 of 90
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andymyers

I installed the 10.2.8 COMBO updater ... repaired permissions and fsck -y before and after applying the update ... no problems encountered at all.

where did you get that? I cant find it anywhere on the Apple site yet