Maccentral Reports on... Cell Phone Cameras?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I found this... an unusual article to be in the Maccentral Site:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...=1064267652000

Phone cameras outsell digital cameras, study finds

By John Blau, IDG News Service

September 22, 2003 3:00 pm ET

Mobile phones with embedded cameras outsold conventional digital cameras for the first time in the first half of 2003, signaling a turning point in the wireless industry's efforts to carve out a piece of the booming digital photography market, according to new market research.

Worldwide sales of mobile phones with built-in cameras soared to 25 million units in the first six months of this year, compared with 20 million conventional digital cameras in the same time frame, Neil Mawston, an analyst with Strategy Analytics Ltd., said Monday, citing new market data.

In the first half of 2002, mobile phone operators worldwide shipped 4 million phones with integrated digital cameras, according to the analyst.

The surge in demand comes primarily from Japan, Mawston said. The country accounted for six of 10 camera phones sold globally in the first six months of this year.

"Japanese consumers are really eager to buy and test new consumer electronic products," he said. "In addition, local operators such as NTT DoCoMo Inc. are heavily subsidizing handsets, which isn't the case with digital cameras."

Camera phones sales in Europe and the U.S. will "continue to grow but not nearly at the same rate as Japan," Mawston said. "Japan is going to drive this market for some time to come."

While camera phones don't pose an immediate threat to high-end digital cameras, offering resolution levels of 3 million pixels and higher, they will capture a chunk of the lower-end disposable camera market, Mawston said.

"Consumers will still want to have a high-quality digital camera to take high-quality photos but for quick shots, many of them will be inclined to use camera phones, which they'll carry around most of the time," he said.

Japan's NEC Corp. and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. (which uses the Panasonic brand name) each accounted for 15 percent of the global camera phone market in the first half of this year, followed by Finland's Nokia Corp. with 14 percent.

Each vendor is eager to expand its market share but could face some challenges moving ahead.

In recent months, numerous groups and companies have raised concerns about camera phones invading privacy or breaching security, resulting in usage being banned in some public places and workplaces.

It just strikes me 'wrong' that this article was where it was. I mean, why would a Mac magazine think it important that Mac users know that more and more people are buying phone cameras?

Could be nothing... probably is.

Then again, it could be pre-justification of ... something. When is the next MacWorld Tokyo?

Thank hell it's not an article about Apple releasing a Tablet, eh?

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I really hope Apple can do a cell phone that incorporates a camera... I like the Sony Ericcson phones, but they have lackluster address and scheduling support.. The 6 616 also has the camera, but it is too low-res. If Apple could incorporate a harddrive (not too big of course) and a decent digital camera with great pda functions... That would be sweet... But I doubt Apple will enter this market... (Yet, I would love for them to prove me wrong as I will soon be in the market for a "cell".)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Not unusual. MacCentral has posted tech articles about products other then computer-related. Apple will not get into the phone business anytime soon. It's unprofitable except for the companies (Nokia, Samsung, et al) that make them. Phones are practically given away by the cell providers as an incentive to buy a long term user contract. Phones are always "attached" to the providers. Have you ever tried to buy a phone without a service contract of some sort? I don't believe you can.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Yeah, I hear you, but this article is more 'Wired' than 'Maccentral' in my admittedly not too discriminating opinion.

I've also heard (and I know that you've heard) that Apple's working on [something] that 'the Japanese are going to go crazy over'.

Which could be anydamnthing. Just let this thread sink, folks, and nevermind.

Aries 1B