Cougar next? Will it include Classic?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
As Panther approaches FC what is next Cougar it seems that getting rid of Classic is going to be the next logical step in the transition. Supporting Classic must be diverting resources away from developing OSX and they must have made some compromises on speed and efficiency to facilitate Classic. Getting rid of Classic would allow Apple to concentrate on the future.

I would assume that the next version is going to be October 2004, but maybe march/April 2005, would that the right time to finally put OS9 to bed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Supporting Classic must be diverting resources away from developing OSX and they must have made some compromises on speed and efficiency to facilitate Classic.

Classic is done for the most part. The only changes being made at this point are very minor bug fixes.

Classic doesn't "compromise" Mac OS X at all. If you don't use it, it's as if it wasn't even there to begin with. Remember, Classic (like so much else in Mac OS X) is just another app; its presence doesn't hamper anything else.

Remember that there are thousands of old programs that will never be updated and must forever run in Classic. If anything, now is the time for Apple to finally make using Classic a bit more transparent an experience, now that all major developers have jumped into supporting Mac OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Cougar?

Whered'ya hear that name?

I thought it was gonna be "Bill the Cat"

OOOOOP AACCCCK
  • Reply 3 of 61
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

As Panther approaches FC what is next Cougar [..]

I would assume that the next version is going to be October 2004, but maybe march/April 2005, would that the right time to finally put OS9 to bed?

I heard a rumor, the next "big cat" will be called Garfield :-)

Apple kept 68K compatibility around for years, I have little doubt they will allow Classic to live on for some years - after all, it does not in any way limit the things they can do with MacOS X (except for the very unlikely case the decide to go intel).

10.4 will put a focus on 64Bit - I believe they will want to have a few more month for that, so March 2005 sounds right.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

10.4 will put a focus on 64Bit - I believe they will want to have a few more month for that, so March 2005 sounds right.

What is there to focus on? Panther will already have some (if not all) major math libraries optimized for the G5. Theyve had 18 months to do this... and Im sure later Panther updates will keep up the optimization.

I could forsee some "64 bit only" tricks for "Bill the Cat" (like Quartz Extreme is only for 32MB or better graphics cards).

It would be perfect if Apple had another update late next year, then MAYBE one more just before Windows Longcow ships sometime in 2k5
  • Reply 5 of 61
    It is Leopard. Why? Well why not? :P
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

What is there to focus on? Panther will already have some (if not all) major math libraries optimized for the G5. Theyve had 18 months to do this... and Im sure later Panther updates will keep up the optimization.

Allowing applications to address more than 4GB of memory.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    Who's going to be the first to humiliate himself by posting a picture of a Fat Tabby?
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by palter

Allowing applications to address more than 4GB of memory.

that could easily be done in a 10.3.x update... no real need for a whole 10.x update
  • Reply 9 of 61
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Who's going to be the first to humiliate himself by posting a picture of a Fat Tabby?

OS X v10.4 Tubcat

• Reply 10 of 61
    Which is a copy from...

• Reply 11 of 61
    which is a copy from:

www.tubcat.com
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

which is a copy from:

www.tubcat.com

Which scares the hell out of me.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    OMG!

• Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Which scares the hell out of me.

I think he uses his powers for good.

Anyway, one of the greeters at the apple store verified that 10.4 would indeed be called Tubcat and told me it was going to be optimised for the G6 from intel for use in the new apple PDA.

• Reply 15 of 61
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm thinking Lynx...
  • Reply 16 of 61
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well I just took the name from the list of cat names that Apple had patented recently.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Listen Apple don't do that, ever! I think Dan Knight (Low End Mac, uses Claris Emailer and Claris Home Page) would agree. And so would my mom (uses After Dark Games.) There are plenty of apps that won't be upgraded - probably not ever. There are also apps that people don't use too regularly and don't want to upgrade. If Apple did that I would be really . They don't really have to develop or improve it (it's already pretty good,) just keep it around. That's important.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Too bad you can't see much of that girl, Not Unlike Myself. She looks hot! And she's a redhead! EDIT: Uh oh, I think she's like 13 or something... now I feel dirty EDIT AGAIN: Just went to the actual website... damn, she is just 13 or thereabouts! Well I am sure she'll be quite hot once she grows up.

I still use one Classic application, and I can't live without it: ResEdit. There is no better resource editor, even shareware. I'm just too used to ResEdit to switch to something like Resorcerer, especially when it costs money to do so.

Well actually I can live without it but I don't want to. I use it to make plugins for EV Nova. Normally I just make little ones so I can get myself unstuck from a mission or something, but sometimes I'll add little "enhancements" to the game.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

I heard a rumor, the next "big cat" will be called Garfield :-)

Apple kept 68K compatibility around for years, I have little doubt they will allow Classic to live on for some years - after all, it does not in any way limit the things they can do with MacOS X (except for the very unlikely case the decide to go intel).

Don't they still have 68K compatibility (in Mac OS 9.2?)
  • Reply 20 of 61
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The last OS that can run on a 68040 is 8.1, and the last OS that can run on a 68030 or lower is 7.5.5. However, 8.5 through 9.2.2, which are PowerPC only, still are mostly 68k code as far as I know. And I think that's why they got progressively slower with each release instead of faster.