Holy Bat Signal!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Suddenly that cool red phone at the Genius Bar is making sense.

Saw this at macrumors.com:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...threadid=39170

I draw the line at Phil Schiller in tights and a Robin mask...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Well that's cute. Is this 'supposed' to be at all stores? Many are in malls so where would the light be put? At the entrance? Folks won't understand the purpose. This also seems a tad wasteful. How many copies can they REALLY sell the first three or four days. A couple hundered? Hardly worth the cost of spotlights and custom covers.... Besides. It feels rather un-apple.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hey, don't shoot the messenger, pal. I'm just posting what I found. I don't know if it's true or not.

Thought it was kinda interesting...
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Very interesting. I actually really appreciate it. I think I'll got downtown that night just for $hits and giggles to see if it's true. Thx for the story.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Hmmm...I ain't buying it. Try again
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Well that's cute. Is this 'supposed' to be at all stores? Many are in malls so where would the light be put? At the entrance? Folks won't understand the purpose. This also seems a tad wasteful. How many copies can they REALLY sell the first three or four days. A couple hundered? Hardly worth the cost of spotlights and custom covers.... Besides. It feels rather un-apple.

um....where the hell were you last year for jaguar's release?

they sold just a tad more than a couple hundred copies in the first few hours.

• Reply 6 of 24
    Yeah, I was at the San Diego Apple Store during the Jaguar release last year...it was a bit of a zoo, to say the least!

Stuff was flying off the shelves (Jaguar AND Macs) and everyone was having a great time.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Yeah, I was at the San Diego Apple Store during the Jaguar release last year...it was a bit of a zoo, to say the least!

Stuff was flying off the shelves (Jaguar AND Macs) and everyone was having a great time.

At Palo Alto, the store was more packed than at the grand opening. They were still selling copies of Jaguar a 2 AM.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    No no no, you misunderstand. I'm talking about a single mac store. I understand that they will sell thousands (probably 10s of thousands in the first few days) but I'm talking about the cost of renting a light for that first night compare to the added sales it could generate THAT night.

I just glanced online. Renting a large single light with transit to and from goes over 2 grand. (and that is a 'cheap one'. Some run up to 7.5) You think they will make that much extra profit in one night?

Not to MENTION the cost of making a custom cut glass cover! $$$
  • Reply 9 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

No no no, you misunderstand. I'm talking about a single mac store. I understand that they will sell thousands (probably 10s of thousands in the first few days) but I'm talking about the cost of renting a light for that first night compare to the added sales it could generate THAT night.

I just glanced online. Renting a large single light with transit to and from goes over 2 grand. (and that is a 'cheap one'. Some run up to 7.5) You think they will make that much extra profit in one night?

Not to MENTION the cost of making a custom cut glass cover! $$$

its called marketing

its worth it if it draws attention.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Ah. Point well made. Hadn't thought about it from a 'non dollars and cents' point of view. Getting hype would probably be good. I conceed.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

its called marketing

its worth it if it draws attention.

Especially when half the Bay Area wakes up the next day and goes, "Hey, did you see that huge ****in' X in the sky? WTF was that?!"
  • Reply 12 of 24
    did anyone notice if they said where its gonna be. i imagine not at all the stores. will it be at the SoHo store, or is it just gonna be in cali?
  • Reply 13 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

did anyone notice if they said where its gonna be. i imagine not at all the stores. will it be at the SoHo store, or is it just gonna be in cali?

well, not sure how well it will work in SOHO....NYC is pretty effing bright at night...... the WTC beams of light memorial were some powerful lights..... dont think Apple can afford that
  • Reply 14 of 24
  • Reply 15 of 24
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

relevant video

• Reply 16 of 24
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i actually talked to a Genius the other day about this.

they show up on caller ID as "BATPHONE", but they aren't what you think.

turns out their just a direct line to Tier II tech support at Apple, in case they get stumped.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    ROFL.... this is too funny...
  • Reply 18 of 24
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

relevant video

Wow. I don't think it's ever taken me this long to download 963k... Don't everyone rush to get it at once.

Quote:

76.7 of 963KB - 0.2KB per sec.

• Reply 19 of 24
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    It loaded in less than 10 seconds here
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Ah. Point well made. Hadn't thought about it from a 'non dollars and cents' point of view. Getting hype would probably be good. I conceed.

Marketing is still all about looking at it from a dollars and cents point of view. Remember, business is a game. The object of the game is to make as much money as possible. Apple is in business

So by spending money on hyping your company, and thereby promoting it, it brings you a return on your investment that is not always necessarily immediate.

Also, you mean that you "concede', for "conceed' isn't really a word