(OS X) Recommend a good Serial Number Keeper App.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I buy a lot of shareware programs for our home bussines, and i normally keep all the numbers on its own mailbox in Eudora,...

The problem is that it has bloated to the size of 10Megs (Big for a Eudora Mailbox file,) with hundreds of entry divided into "X only," "9 only," "X/9" and "No serial needed,"... It's a b**** to manage.

So I am counting on the forum Members' expertise to recommend the best Serial Number Keeper App. you have used. Any info will be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    stickies
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

stickies

I already have all the Access Codes for required Web Sites on stickies,... and i'm already on my third Stickie Note, with text set to size 9 Helvetica,...

I was hoping to also transfer them to a (secure) Serial keeper App.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I know it's not exactly what you want, but I put them all in a PDF and back it up on .Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by spirou

I buy a lot of shareware programs for our home bussines, and i normally keep all the numbers on its own mailbox in Eudora,...

The problem is that it has bloated to the size of 10Megs (Big for a Eudora Mailbox file,) with hundreds of entry divided into "X only," "9 only," "X/9" and "No serial needed,"... It's a b**** to manage.

So I am counting on the forum Members' expertise to recommend the best Serial Number Keeper App. you have used. Any info will be appreciated.

Create a encrypted disk image with the disk copy app and just save all your serial number mails as text (or whatever) onto that disk. As loong as you keep your password secret you can leave that image anywhere!
  • Reply 5 of 29
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Bunge's suggestion seems the quickest, easiest and most hassle-free. It's what I'd do.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Serial box. That's what it's for.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    resres Posts: 711member
    I use filemaker pro to keep track of serial numbers and other important information about my software.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Now, on another note, did anyone ever notice that this kind of thread is always started, by a new user, on the day an app that fills the requirements is released. Today there is a program that has just been released on Version Tracker that does just this. And I bet the starter of this thread already knew that.

Yes!!!!!1!!!, I'm a mole from the company releasing that App!!!!111!!!. Oh, GOD, How i could ever fool such a brilliant l33t h@x0r mind like yours (*SOB!*)... Please, can you ever forgive me when i tell you to...

Aaah SHUT UP!,...Man, talk about paranoia!. ALL new users, Tonton?, so what program were you trying to plug in when you posted your first thread, Hmmmm? (Never mind that my first post was on the "Hardware" section, but...).

Anyways, thanks for the rest for the sugestions. I already dragged+copied the Eudora Mailboxes on the desktop, changed them to .text, clean them up, and then convert them to a single PDF file. Much better!. If i back it up on .Mac, i will probably use the encripted disk image method with it. Thanks again for the help.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

I was hoping to also transfer them to a (secure) Serial keeper App.

Not a perfect solution but what about Keychain? Fire up Keychain Access and add to your heart's content.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Shame on you, torifile. Serial Box is the name of the popularly distributed file which contains pirated serial numbers. The name of the program is Salt Mine Reader, or SMX for short. And as far as I know, the latest version does not allow you to enter any serials yourself. It is only a reader. So it is not "what it is for". Serial Box is for piracy, and nothing else.

Shame on you, tonton, for knowing the name of the app AND the serials. Seriously, the format for SMX (Saltmine Reader or whatever they're calling it these days) is just XML. Create your own XML file and you can read it in just like that long list of serials is read in.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

I think Safeguard is what you're looking for. I haven't used it but I'm definitely curious. Does anyone have any impressions?
  • Reply 12 of 29
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WJMoore

Not a perfect solution but what about Keychain? Fire up Keychain Access and add to your heart's content.

That was going to be my suggestion.

Make keychains for '9 only' 'X only', etc. Add one application at a time in the Keychain Access app, and voila. Encrypted, secure serial #s.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Not a genius or anything, but this one is free..and I love it.

It is called Serial Number Tracker.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20321

Read and decide yourself.

~tommy

• Reply 14 of 29
    You know what I want is something like this which will sync to my Palm Pilot memos. I need to learn Obj-C so I can make my own I guess!
  • Reply 15 of 29
    I'm using Password Master from Maury over at RAILhead Design

Works well, and he's open to suggestions.

Matt
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Pastor - It's simple. It's Cocoa. It's Free. It's here.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    I use LittleSecrets. Very nice little application.

Get it here (MacUpdate)
  • Reply 18 of 29
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Can't you just do a table in a Word doc and put a password on it?
  • Reply 19 of 29
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    WORD?!?

Good god man, do you embed images in Excel documents to look at them too?

(Don't ask, I had someone send me just such a document instead of just attaching three JPEGs...)
  • Reply 20 of 29
    This is a no-brainer: Keychain

1. Spend 10 minutes, get on with the program and you'll never look back.

2. If you have .Mac; download the latest "Backup 2 Beta" and backup your serialnumbers

3. Even better; make Keychain a menu-item. Never more than a click away...