Stuffit 8

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can it finally stuff/unstuff multiple things at once? Is it finally not slower then death?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wow shittacular.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Well...let's see.

Icons finally don't suck. That's something.

Does seem faster, and uses less CPU...though the contextual menu compress still locks up the Finder.

Um...yeah.

If this was an update, that would be cool and I'd be very happy, because Stuffit would finally be working closer to the way I expect it should have to begin with.

As an $80 app? Ridiculous. And the upgrade pricing is equally so.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Can it finally stuff/unstuff multiple things at once? Is it finally not slower then death?

I can do this for free without any extra software!

# unzip someZipFile.zip &

# unzip someOtherFile.zip &

# tar -xzvf someTarFile.tar.gz &

And they all uncompress at once! $80 saved...
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Why exactly does Stuffit now have Photoshop and Illustrator plug-ins, and what do they accomplish?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I don't know but I just want an Expander that can unstuff two or more things at once, and a helllllllll of a lot faster.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Unless stuffit is altivec-optimized up the wazoo, I really don't care about stuffit 8. It's painfully slow, it's proprietary. Finder-integrated .zip will at least be multithreaded, like finder file copying currently is. BTW, apple, love the multiple file-copying in one window idea!
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Sigh. They used to be such a cool company. Panther will put them out of business.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Why exactly does Stuffit now have Photoshop and Illustrator plug-ins, and what do they accomplish?

I don't get this either. Can anyone clear this up?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by naderby

I don't get this either. Can anyone clear this up?

They basically allow you to either stuff or stuff and mail the file you're working on from within photoshop or illustrator. When installed they show up under the File-->Automate menu. So, they're just a shortcut.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Oh, weepee-do!
  • Reply 11 of 24
    I dunno, I can see that being kind of useful. Kind of. Not worth an upgrade, but yeah. *shrugs*
  • Reply 12 of 24
    OK i jumped ship on 10.2.8 and was burned. How is Stuffit 8? Can it unstuff multiple things at once? Is it faster at stuffing/unstuffing? I read there are problems with unstuffing applications, that they won't launch. God it sounds like this company will be out of business before Panther is even out.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    So it's that bad that no one has installed it!
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Update is out. So no one at all installed it? Can anyone verify if it unstuffs multiple things and at once and faster? I don't want to install it unless it is finally working.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Update is out. So no one at all installed it? Can anyone verify if it unstuffs multiple things and at once and faster? I don't want to install it unless it is finally working.

The update doesn't fix anything other than the "executable bit" issue. Apparently Aladdin thought it would be good security to disable executables in stuffit archives. This of course breaks any app you stuff...
  • Reply 16 of 24
    I read on VersionTracker Apple made them do that.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I'm still using 6.5

Me too.

But expander is 7
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

I read on VersionTracker Apple made them do that.

The level of intelligence in the VersionTracker comments is roughly equivelant to that of an untrained caterpillar.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    I have the most current version, including the new update. It doesn't seem all THAT much faster, but it has worked fine so far.

As I understood it, the 8.01 update fixed it so that .sit archives would retain UNIX permissions (including marking something as executable). Their newer .sitx format is supposed to do that already, so I wonder if they were trying to steer people toward using that, until Apple asked them to make the change....
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Wow they still have not added multithreading to unstuffing and stuffing. Do they actually want to go out of business?