Uninstalling Classic...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm thinking about uninstalling Classic/OS 9 from my iBook. Do I just trash the System Folder and Applications (Mac OS 9) folders? Is there anything else I need to do or any precautions I need to take?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If you just trash your system folder and your OS 9 applications, you should be fine. You could theoretically also delete the Classic Startup application and support files from OS X, but you won't save much space, and if you do need Classic back for some reason you'd have to reinstall OS X. If you just delete your system folder, you should be able to just drag a new system folder onto your hard drive in case you really need Classic for some reason.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

If you just delete your system folder, you should be able to just drag a new system folder onto your hard drive in case you really need Classic for some reason.

I do just that: there's a complete OS 9.2.2 sitting on a CD-R that I just copy as and when I need it. Yes, it can be run from the CD, but it's quite hilariously slow
  • Reply 3 of 7
    For some reason, I am unable to delete the OS 9 System Folder. It gives me a warning that the folder is being used by the System, and that I can't trash it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by shatteringglass

For some reason, I am unable to delete the OS 9 System Folder. It gives me a warning that the folder is being used by the System, and that I can't trash it.

If you're using Mac OS X v10.2:

1. Open Hard Drive.

2. Choose System Folder

3. File>Get Info.

4. Open Ownership and permissions.

5. Click the lock icon.

6. Under Owner, change the Owner to you (the item with (me) after it.)

7. Type in Admin name and password

8. Click change all items... Answer Yes.

9. You should be done. Close Get Info. Trash System Folder.

If you're using Mac OS X v10.1 (or earlier):

1. Open Terminal (Apps>Utilities>Terminal)

2. cd /

3. sudo Chown -R you "System Folder"

4. Trash System Folder.

Tip: If Option A doesn't work, try the Terminal.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Look in System Prefs and make sure that you don't have Classic set to automatically launch at boot up.

If it says it's running, turn it off, then try to delete the OS 9 System Folder.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

If you're using Mac OS X v10.2:

1. Open Hard Drive.

2. Choose System Folder

3. File>Get Info.

4. Open Ownership and permissions.

5. Click the lock icon.

6. Under Owner, change the Owner to you (the item with (me) after it.)

7. Type in Admin name and password

8. Click change all items... Answer Yes.

9. You should be done. Close Get Info. Trash System Folder.

Nope, still won't let me. It says the System is using it. I don't have Classic active.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Nope, still won't let me. It says the System is using it. I don't have Classic active.

Hmm de dee. Whine. Moan. Wish Mac OS X wan't so darn strict. Whining. Done. Okay, try one of these two methods:

a. Use the Terminal as listed above.

b. If your machine can boot from Mac OS 9.2, start from a startup CD or something. Delete the system folder from there. Restart into Mac OS X. Complain some more about permisssions.