I just need a simple answer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
All i need to know is... what is the conversion rate for a G4 Chip to its PC comparison? Like say a G4 1 GHZ?

I know say Pentium speeds... but what would that equal out to be? ...or is this a simple answer?

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    There is no simple answer.

That's why so many people get into heated debates about these things.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    What he said. 8)
  • Reply 3 of 12
    It really boils down to which OS you prefer to use.

ROUGHLY speaking, a 1 gig G4 CPU is equivalent to a P4 at about 2gig. But alot about overall system performance depends on many other things .... I'll let others delve into the Velocity Engine and Quartz Extreme and such things that really boost overall system performance without requiring huge clock-speeds and the associated power consumption/heat discharge common to Pentium machines.

For the av erage user, either chip will be more than enough ... but (my opinion) the MacOS is so much more elegant to use and is so well integrated with really top-notch programs in iLife. ... It just makes for an Easy-to-use machine.

(ok, this ought to stir up some discussion/debate)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

It really boils down to which OS you prefer to use.

*COUGH* OS X is the best! *COUGH* *COUGH* Windows sucks *COUGH* Sorry...I think I'm coming down with something.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    It totally depends, especially given that many apps are not cross platform. G4 macs are considerably slower than todays PCs in terms of sheer processing speed. However, sheer processing speed is not holding you back. Think of apps and their usefulness, the insane networking capabilities of eg: a powerbook g4 (Gb ethernet?! Wifi, etc).

If you are trying to convince yourself to take the plunge and get a Mac, I'd advise you to do so. There's no way you'd regret it. OSX rules, Mac functionality and style rule too.

To reiterate, though, any midrange PC will beat the G4 for sheer processing speed, except under really contrived circumstances that many subsequent posters will mention...

...just wait for it...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

*COUGH* OS X is the best! *COUGH* *COUGH* Windows sucks *COUGH* Sorry...I think I'm coming down with something.

Maybe you have a virus. What OS are you using?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CiNoRi

All i need to know is... what is the conversion rate for a G4 Chip to its PC comparison? Like say a G4 1 GHZ?

I know say Pentium speeds... but what would that equal out to be? ...or is this a simple answer?

Thanks a bunch!

There is no simple answer. For many things (including games) a 1GHz G4 seems to performs about as well as a 1.2GHz P4, but AltiVic optimized functions (like certain photoshop filters) can perform 1.5 to 2 times as fast as a P4 of the same MHz rating, and a few programs like BLAST do even better.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Yeah i am definately a big mac fan... i have a G4 450 looking to upgrade...

I have also been a pc user for much longer... and i was just trying to understand in compairison.

I think i have pretty much made up my mind on a new Mac...just saving some cash... and waiting for panther ;-)

laters!

-Erica
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

If I had a virus, it would have to be some version of Windows , their are security holes in Windows you could drive a truck through, and all the microsoft "security patches" in the world aren't going to fix that.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    PC Speed = GHz + (liquid NO2 & Headphones)/Windows + Asprin High

G4 Speed = BMW + R&D time/"MOT SuXxorz"

G5 = Warm pie with whipped cream.

Real world performance may vary.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Must you make me pee my pants before lunch?