One of those HUGE iTMS updates this week

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just happened to check out the Just Added section of the iTMS tonight. Um, wow, that's a lot of music. I must have scrolled one page at a time for twenty minutes, just skimming the artist names. It seems there's lot of ska, reggae, and classical in the list, but that may just be my expectations that there would be more rock/pop and country in proportion to that stuff (well, maybe not relative to classical recordings). The "Various Artists" group is particularly funny. I wonder if there's a pattern to when they do these gigantic updates?

I have noticed over the past 3-4 weeks that indie labels are slowly adding their stuff to the Store, though it's not happening in big chunks like I thought. So far, Nettwerk has about 3 artists in the iTMS, Delerium being one, and they have some albums with literally one song available for download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Janis Ian mentioned on the Mac Night Owl Live that Apple's software for ripping to iTMS had been delayed until some time in October, so unless the schedule slips again that's when I'd expect the flood.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    The influx is from Rounder Records. The independents are finally arriving! So, are they ripping their own? I'm thinking that "Just Added" might need to move to a daily mode.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Most of the independents will be ripping their own, but a few big ones (Rounder?) might have worked something else out (like using a late beta of the final software that they'll eventually ship to the others?).

The "just added" section shipped out on New Music Tuesdays is not comprehensive. Apple's been adding songs at a much faster rate than that. When the indies start flooding them they'll probably continue to send out highlights every Tuesday. But since they said that they intend to seriously promote independent labels and musicians, they might go beyond that in other ways.

Not that I'd mind if my band was featured in an Apple email. 8)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Perhaps by the time iTMS for Windows debuts (late next month?) Apple will change the 200,000 to 300,000 songs.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Perhaps by the time iTMS for Windows debuts (late next month?) Apple will change the 200,000 to 300,000 songs.

Here's to hoping for 500,000.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    There were a couple of services that were promoting themselves a few weeks ago as official middlemen to do the actual transfer/encoding of labels' recordings to the iTMS. Maybe the indie stuff we see now is from deals with those companies, and the indies who have a DIY approach are waiting for the software for Apple. (Don't ask me what those middlemen might be using to encode the stuff without Apple's software, unless they're using whatever Apple uses now in a not-so-neat package.)