Linkin Park

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...is just about the worst band ever (IMO). Twentysomethings doing the throaty thing over your average 11-year-old's angst. It just doesn't work for me. And that is even ignoring the fact that each one of their songs is a very subtle variation on a previous song, so subtle, in fact, that I often find myself wondering if the Linkin Park tune I am, at one time or another, forced to listen to, is the 2 year old classic "Broken trailer park home" or rather their newer "The neighbour's kid stole my skateboard", or their latest "I've got diarrhoea, whine, whine, whine!"

Despite these tiny reservations on my part, I do wonder why ever they've become the superstars they are today. Seeing Appleinsider members score an average 130 on emode's IQ test, I reckon there are not that many Linkin Park fans around, except maybe for groverat.

So fess up, who likes 'em? What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    AND... they're a boy band! They are a completely constructed entitity. So tired of rich boys whining.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    I have no problem with them. My kids (3 and 4) love them because there is a World Rally Championship video with Linkin Park playing in the background so all I here is "Car race music, Car race music"!!
  • Reply 3 of 36
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't get them either. I;m glad you used the word "angst" because that's what it is. Teen angst music. Yawn.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    bring g'n'r back.....
  • Reply 5 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Even though it is targeted at my demographic (the 12-14 year olds), I hate the stuff anyway. It's so premanufactured and plastic-sounding. Nothing worth listening to.

I do sorta kinda like Session, though...probably because it doesn't have lyrics.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    ...Didn't know these snot rags were still around...

In so many ways I'm happy I'm NOT a teenager anymore.

Of course when I was 14-15 all I listened to was...

Of course Iggy and the Stooges/Ramones/Clash change my direction in musical tastes very quickly...

We didn't have MTV either...warping our brains into listening to the crap they promote today. We had drugs for that then.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    I don't particularly get Linkin Park myself...or any of the other identikit teen angst metal that is in constant rotation on MTV, M2 and Much Music (or Fuse as it appears to be called now)...but I guess I'm not supposed to. It is, after all, teen angst metal and I haven't been a teenager for 10 years. I do have to say that I don't hate them nearly as much as I hate Good Charlotte or that Jason Mraz guy with the stupid hat and the punchable face.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Does anyone get Evanescence?

Goth Christian rock? A cross between Linkin Park and Bjork... and it SUCKS. Uhg.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    wow, look at the angst among you guys...

I love Linkin Park. I have never been to their concerts and most likely never will. You can listen to a whole album in one sitting. I am not a fan of bands that have one or two hit singles and the rest of the album is mediocre. With trance of techno music often mixes are an hour or so long. Go persecute them.

Linkin Park does their own mixing, writing, editing and art work. They were not constructed like a boy band. They all met in schools.

IMO
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I really don't like hip hop or Rap and can't stand the boy bands and Britney and the other little hookers but Linkin Park is ok for cheap entertainment. I do like Staind though. I grew up listening to everything from Styx to Yaz to The Dead Kennedys to Black Flag.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Does anyone get Evanescence?

Goth Christian rock? A cross between Linkin Park and Bjork... and it SUCKS. Uhg.

Leave Björk out of it, please!

If you'd need just one truly creative artist, she'd be where to look first. Björk in the same sentence as Evanescence and Linkin Park... I guess I'll have little sleep tonight.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Bjork is a no talent babling nutbar.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Bjork is a no talent babling nutbar.

Seriously have you ever heard any of her music outside of the 3 videos they have ever played of hers on MTV?

Bjork is truely talented (with or witout the sugarcubes )

Sure she's a little freaky occassionally but that doesn't mean she's any less creative.

Other current talented artists receiving some airplay:

Ben Kweller

Ben Folds

Coldplay (no seriously!)

Jurassic 5

The Juliana Theory

Saves The Day (its not angst, I swear )

Rainer Maria
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

Seriously have you ever heard any of her music outside of the 3 videos they have ever played of hers on MTV?

Bjork is truely talented (with or witout the sugarcubes )

I'd appreciate it if she would re-release her last two albums as instrumentals only. That way I can enjoy them as albums by Mark Bell and Matmos without having to endure the vocals.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Jason Mraz guy with the stupid hat and the punchable face.

ever see or hear Jason Mraz live?

COMPLETELY different.

I didn't like his album...... I downloaded a bootleg show of his from january though....I love it..... and I've seen him perform on TV....... much better live.

Just my opinion thought
  • Reply 16 of 36
    they were called somethen else when they first hit the 'scene' (so to speak) something else that was stupid. Yeah I can't stand them myself.

.... oh my I actually agree with der kopf!!!
  • Reply 17 of 36
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Leave Björk out of it, please!

For real.

Why is there a whole thread on these losers?
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

For real.

Why is there a whole thread on these losers?

Because every topic in AO is about something that sucks
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

AND... they're a boy band! They are a completely constructed entitity. So tired of rich boys whining.

and so are the Beatles

Your logic fails here.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Even though it is targeted at my demographic (the 12-14 year olds), I hate the stuff anyway. It's so premanufactured and plastic-sounding. Nothing worth listening to.

I do sorta kinda like Session, though...probably because it doesn't have lyrics.

Same here(except for the Session stuff). Yet somehow every 13 year old at my school is crazy about them.

I can't go a day without hearing "Do you have that Linkin Park album?"