No real proof, but sign of FireWire 2?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As I said, it could be just nothing, but I found an interesting image on the German <a href="http://www.cyberport.de"; target="_blank">Cyberport Homepage</a>. They're quite big in the Computer Business over here in Eastern Germany.

The image was found deep inside the webpage

<a href="http://www.cyberport.de/DE/disp_item_popup.omeco?IMAGE=../artimages/bild4/3501-132_400.JPG&DISP_TITEL=LaCie+60+GB+StudioDrive+Fir ewire&IMG_WIDTH=400&IMG_HEIGHT=400" target="_blank">here</a>.

There are other items with the "regular" logo, too. Like

<a href="http://www.cyberport.de/DE/disp_item_popup.omeco?IMAGE=../artimages/bild4/3501-141_400.JPG&DISP_TITEL=LaCie+120+GB+StudioDrive+Fi rewire&IMG_WIDTH=400&IMG_HEIGHT=400" target="_blank">there</a>.

As I said before, I don't know what it means so let's speculate.

Sebian

edit: don't drink and type...

[ 07-03-2002: Message edited by: Sebian ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Interesting . . .

But honestly, how would they even know?

Is the FW2 spec even set?

Does anyone even make connection/controller parts for it yet?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    haderachhaderach Posts: 32member
    They say the drive uses the Oxford 911 bridge chip, here are the specs:

Oxford 911 Data Sheet

IEEE1394 to ATA/ATAPI Native Bridge - the technical stuff...

Features \tÂ*\tÂ*

*\tS400 (50 Mbs) compliant 1394-1995 Link and Transaction layers

*\tCompatible with 1394-1995 and 1394A Phys.

*\tMicrosoft Win98SE, Win2000 and MacOS generic driver support

*\tSBP-2 Target Revision 4 compliant interface

*\tSupport for UDMA5 (ATA100)

*\tSustained data transfers of 35MB/s

\t

*\tSuspports PIO modes 0 to 4, modes 0 to 2 and Ultra DMA modes 0 to 5

*\tORB co-processor to accelerate translation of ORNs to ATAPI commands

*\tSupports ORB changing for increased performance

*\tHigh performance ATA Command translation in firmware using Reduced Block Commend (RBC) set

*\tIntegrated 32-bit RISC processor (ARM7TDMI) with on-chip scratch RAM

\t

*\tOptional External Serial ROM interface for configuration data, user serial number, etc.

*\tIntegrated 512kb Flash memory

*\tBlank Flash memory programming feature via 1394 bus

*\t3.3 Volts operation

*\tLower Power CMOS

*\tUltra-thin 128-TQFP package (14 x 14 x 1 mm)

Description

The Oxford 911 is a high performance 1394 to ATA/ATAPI (IDE) native bridge with an integrated target Serial Bus Protocol (SBP-2) controller. By supporting the SBP-2 protocol, the device can use generic SBP-2 drivers available in the Microsoft Windows 98SE, 200 and ME operating systems and the MacOS (8.6-OS X). MacOS support also includes booting from the FireWire disk.

The device is ideally suited for smart cable or tailgate interface applications for removable media drives, compact flash car readers, CDR, CDRW, DVDR, DVD-RAM and hard disk drives, allowing IDE drive to be connected to a 1394 bus in a plug-and-play fashion. Both ATA and ATAPI devices are supported using the same firmware.

This highly integrated device offers a two-chip solution to native bridge applications using an external 1394 PHY. The device is compatible with both 1394-1995 and 1394A PHYs.

The LINK controller complies with 1394-1995 and 1394A specifications. The 1394 transaction layer and SBP-2 protocol is implemented using a combination of the ARM7TDMI (low-power RISC processor), an ORB (Operation Request Block) hardware co-processor, and a high performance buffer manager.

The buffer manager has a RAM bandwidth of 800Mbps. It provides storage for 1394 and ATA/ATAPI packets, automatically storing them and passing them to the appropriate destinations, without any intervention from the processor. It also provides storage and manages the sequencing of ORB fetching to reduce latency and improve data throughput.

The configuration data including the IEEE OUI (Organizational Unique Identifier) and device serial number is stored in the Flash ROM which may be uploaded from the 1394 bus, even when blank. The device also facilitates firmware uploads from the 1394 bus.

The ORB co-processor translates ORBs as defined in the SBP-2 protocol into ATA-ATAPI commands, and automatically stores error/status messages at an address specified by the host.

Concurrent operation of the ATA/ATAPI and 1394 interfaces are facilitated using the high throughput buffer manager where LINK, ATAPI manager and ARM7TDMI can perform interleaved accessed to the on-chip RAM buffer. The high performance processor ensures that no significant latency is incurred. The ATA command translation is performed in firmware to meet RBC standard, T10-1228D. The ATA/ATAPI Manager supports PIO modes 0 to 4, DMA modes 0 to 2, and Ultra DMA modes 0 to 5 and provides the interface to the IDE bus. It is complant with T13-1321D, ATA-5 specification, as well as support for ATA100.

take a look at the new lacie "style"...

<a href="http://www.lacie.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.lacie.com/</a>;

[ 07-03-2002: Message edited by: haderach ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sebiansebian Posts: 3member
    I'm doubtful myself. But I don't care much about the text because I think the image just "slipped in" and was meant for a (near) future product.

I know the new LaCie Style, but don't think the entire lineup will come in this beautiful, but expensive aluminium cases. There is at least a chance that there may be products with newer tech but old style.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ssmurphyssmurphy Posts: 40member
    The case in the picture is nothing new. LaCie has been using them for a year or two. All plastic and look cheap up close.

Later Steve