Free Panther upgrade for recent hardware purchasers?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all, I am ignorant of how Apple does OS upgrades for recent hardware purchases. If Panther comes out in a month, are all those people who just bought PB's and G5's going to have to pay the full upgrade price for Panther? If not, what is the cut off date?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I would guess so.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I would guess so.

Well I would hope so! I was wondering what Apple did when 10.2 came out. I seem to recall that recent purchasers could get a copy for $20 or something like that.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Normally it's a 30 day window... if you purchased your hardware no more than 30 days before a major OS is released, then you're eligible for the new release for basically shipping and handling ($20 usually).

If you bought that spankin' new hardware 31 days before, you're outta luck.

So roll those dice and buy your hardware when you want.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Hi all, I am ignorant of how Apple does OS upgrades for recent hardware purchases. If Panther comes out in a month, are all those people who just bought PB's and G5's going to have to pay the full upgrade price for Panther? If not, what is the cut off date?

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------

I was just in the Apple Store and asked about free (or cost of CD only) upgrades to Panther on recently purchased hardware. An employee said that Panther was not much of an upgrade; which seems different than what is posted on the boards. What was really interesting is that he said 10.2x will be maintained going forward because it is 32 bit OS and Panther is 64 bit. He also said that functionality like Expose will comeout for 10.2x -

Has anyone else heard this?

PS

As noted elsewhere usually there is a 30 day grace period and sometimes new hardware will come with an upgrade coupon for those machines they do not want to bother upgrading at Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    A friend of mine just took delivery on a new G5 and tells me that there's *no* upgrade coupon for Panther (10.3) inside. He was told by the Apple Store dude that hardware bought today will not qualify for free Panther because chances are Panther won't be out until December.

Just another data point, your mileage may vary.

Joe
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcgil

----------------------------------------------------

I was just in the Apple Store and asked about free (or cost of CD only) upgrades to Panther on recently purchased hardware. An employee said that Panther was not much of an upgrade; which seems different than what is posted on the boards. What was really interesting is that he said 10.2x will be maintained going forward because it is 32 bit OS and Panther is 64 bit. He also said that functionality like Expose will comeout for 10.2x -

Has anyone else heard this?

PS

As noted elsewhere usually there is a 30 day grace period and sometimes new hardware will come with an upgrade coupon for those machines they do not want to bother upgrading at Apple.

Apple store employes are so stupid... apple should think about hiring them... i mean a sales person told you that Panther will be 64Bit, it wont be much of an upgrade, and that Jaguar will have features like Expose... man what a dumb-ass