wireless headphone ipod?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
how about an ipod with bluetooth for wireless headphones? is it possible? i would love to see this from apple, even as an option.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That might be nice because on a couple of occasions, I've damn near ripped my head off with those wires dangling from my ears. I can be a bit of a klutz at times, and it doesn't take much!

It would probably require something besides an earbud design because they're so tiny and I could see them falling out and getting lost. I've seen those neat headphones that connect around the back of your head (like those athletic straps that hold eyeglasses on when you're playing sports), so maybe a nice adaptation of that? Something light and unobstrusive, of course. But cool-looking and "Apple-y"?

Wireless is nice. The more, the merrier. I want EVERYTHING to be wireless, now that I've had a taste of it!

• Reply 2 of 19
    i know what you mean, as there are many times i will fall asleep listening to music and i've woken up many times with the cord wrapped around my neck i think more than anything though, it's the cool factor to have wireless headphones!
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I've requested this for ages, especially since there are so many bluetooth headsets available for mobile phones. However, the lead complaint I hear from hardware developers is that it'll eat away the battery pretty quickly. Also the size of the headset, since it'll need it's own battery supply.

I really don't know much about it, but it sure does seem simple for someone to develop a bluetooth module that'll plug into any headphone jack and work well. Here's hoping.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    How to make it work: on one of the sides of the headphones, how cool would it be to have a slit for the ipod charger cable, so that it would have a rechargeable battery, or what about even a kinetic type battery like the ones on watches. Perhaps a little far-fetched, but it'd be awesome. If the battery life got really good, a couple blue-backlighted bluetooth or apple logos on the headphones would be icing on the cake... but a small and reliable bluetooth adapter must forst be made for the ipod....
  • Reply 5 of 19
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Bluetooth isn't fast enough for headphones, unless you put the MP3/AAC decoder in the headphones themselves, which would increase the price.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    what if they just went analog from the ipod to the head set on a short but reliable frequency? I guess you can already do that with the iGriffin, just get a head set that tunes to the Radio...there you go.

Problem solved with "modern" equipment...all for under 50 dollars.

Then you could use the same equip to tune your radio in your car...which still is analog, and I'm talkin' FM, not AM: which is monophonic and operates in the khz range, less sound quality. In this case, it would behoove you to use Analog, convenience and standard.

-walloo.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

what if they just went analog from the ipod to the head set on a short but reliable frequency? I guess you can already do that with the iGriffin, just get a head set that tunes to the Radio...there you go.

Problem would be the sound quality. If you're into your music sounding distorted, and by distorted I mean limited high and low signals, then that would be fine. I'm actually disappointed in the Belkin product when I used it in the car. It sounds like an AM radio broadcast.

When you think about wireless technology, it's fairly simple to say wireless headphones for music. But how come there's only a handful of those on the market and most of the ones aren't that great or they're gigantic? And we're talking about wireless in the sense of a 50 year old technology. Obvioulsy it's improved, but I guess something's holding it back.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    It's just a matter of time.

Examples of Bluetooth stereo headphones:

Impulsesoft iWish

OpenBrain Bluetooth Stereo Headset
  • Reply 9 of 19
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    stereo != high-fidelity
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

It's just a matter of time.

Examples of Bluetooth stereo headphones:

Impulsesoft iWish

OpenBrain Bluetooth Stereo Headset

Somebody turned Al Gore's iPod up to 11 when he wasn't looking.

MSKR
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

stereo != high-fidelity

And this was in response to... what? The specs for those bluetooth headphones say "CD-Quality". does CD-Quality = high fidelity?

Edit: I just think it's funny that about a year ago I had an argument here with someone who swore up and down that bluetooth headphones with good audio quality were impossible to build.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

Somebody turned Al Gore's iPod up to 11 when he wasn't looking.

MSKR

I think the guy right next to that guy just farted, or else he thinks his own farting is hilariously humous

So the iGriffin doesn't work to well, going back with the cheaper idea...it seems tho on another note that the bluetooth codec(or just dec) would also be of a lower qual, as it is still using a compressed schema...

well, just had a brainstorm, even if they had a standard wireless compression that all sound went through, it seems like a pretty complicated idea just for wireless. I'd wait for higher bandwidth wireless techs to pull through, that way it could be sent str8.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I had an idea a while ago about wireless power transmission. Someone told me that it was possible, but not probable. Anyone want to explain that to me? Why can or can't it be done? If it can, what's holding it back. Seems to me like it would solve worlds of problems.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Bluetooth is ~700kbps, uncompressed CD quality audio is 1200kbps. Bluetooth headphones could use compression, but that leads into the morass of whether anything compressed qualifies as "CD quality".
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Since we're talking about streaming MP3's or AAC's from an iPod, uncompressed CD quality is moot. You're going to get as good quality as you would through wired headphones.

Besides, the first headphones listed above can decode a 320kbps MP3 stream. I'd be willing to call that close enough to CD quality that it really doesn't matter.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Was just doing some research and came across this.

Found the link to the company from Apple's bluetooth web site.

http://www.csr.com/applications/headset.htm

Quote:

High-end headsets: CSR is sampling its next-generation (Bluetooth v1.2-compatible) BlueCore3 platform, including a variant called BlueCore3-Multimedia. This chip, with integral BlueCore, codec and DSP core ? provides a single-chip solution for high-end headsets. The codec is stereo, also enabling OEMs to develop products for emerging markets such as wireless headphones capable of Bluetooth voice and MP3 music.

Seems like it's only new, and if this company was on Apple's web site, they probably use there chips for their products. Here's hoping.

James.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I had an idea a while ago about wireless power transmission. Someone told me that it was possible, but not probable. Anyone want to explain that to me?

It's not only possible, but someone was working on it very hard until his death. This same person was told over and over throughout his life that things were impossible and improbable.

He went forward anyway and perfected the very thing that empowers every computer, and everything. That invention was A.C. power. His name? Nikola Tesla.

Google "Nikola Tesla Wireless Power"

• Reply 18 of 19
    And now you know... the rest of the story.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

That might be nice because on a couple of occasions, I've damn near ripped my head off with those wires dangling from my ears. I can be a bit of a klutz at times, and it doesn't take much!

Lol i know exactly what you mean. then again if you have wireless headphones no one will know u have an ipod and thats part of the beauty of the white earphones.

Damn it why does apple charge so damn much for me to replace those not as great as they say they are headphones.

As for wireless power. It exists and they use testing it out in belgium and othe rplaces. Microwave technology with direct line of site over somewhat large distances considering its wireless energy. Only problem is when bird flies between the direct line of sight. can u say poof