Damn G5 Memory

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok I buy 2 sticks of 512RAM and What does my computer say when I click the "About this Mac" it says 256 total. WTF.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    More problems, eh? You but 3 Apple computers at once, a iBook, a G5, and a eMac or iMac I think, dont remember... then you complain about Apple software, you say it sucks and that you cant get it to work... ok so then you have more problems... something about installing software... so now you buy some RAM, and that doesnt work with your G5... you say that your family wants to kill you and that you are going back to Dell in a sec... what is next? You either have a really really bad case of bad luck, or you are a troll... i hate to admit it but I think its true

EDIT: you bought a20inch Cinema Display, Standard 1.6 G5 with an extra Gig of RAM, 12inch PB with Superdrive and 512extra RAM, 900MHz iBook with extra 512RAM, and I spent $350 for a 15inch G4 500MHz TiPB with some bad pixels. Add 2 OfficeX and Student OfficeX plus about $1K in other software and acces
  • Reply 2 of 22
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Sounds like wrong memory type.

Don't forget that the 1.6 memory is different to the 1.8 and 2.0.

I get this when I put SD133 in a machine that only supports SD100. It uses only half of the installed memory.

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    No they are the proper memory for the machine. It actually does not show any of the memory I installed. It only shows the memory that came installed when I bought it which is 256. I should have that plus the 1.24Gig of RAM I installed. Aaargh! I am starting to think that Apple's are like my first wife. Pretty but a pain.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    hmmm again... well maybe you didnt push it in all the way or something, seems like you have a lot of money, go get someone to install it for you
  • Reply 5 of 22
    this is an actual problem being shown with the g5's, they are pretty picky with the ram, make sure you get the highest quality ram you can get, i suggest crucial or someone, buying cheap ram dosent pay. you have a high quality machine, get some high quality ram

by the way i orderd 2 512 sticks of ram from crucial yesterday so i can put them in my new duel g5 i just recieved today il tell you if it went flawlessly or not.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

No they are the proper memory for the machine. It actually does not show any of the memory I installed. It only shows the memory that came installed when I bought it which is 256. I should have that plus the 1.24Gig of RAM I installed. Aaargh! I am starting to think that Apple's are like my first wife. Pretty but a pain.

If you have a 1.6 GHz there are only two available slots. If you have a 1.8 GHz and have six slots open, be sure to put them in the same numbered slot. There are two slots with each number. It's likely best to go with the number two slots next.

The other tricky thing is actually putting the RAM in. If a RAM module is seated correctly, the two little levers at the side will snap into place. They must fit into the little notch on the sides of the strips. Once you have pushed the strip in well and the levers don't snap into place, push on one end at a time to seat them. That is what I had to do at the suggestion of an Apple technician.

By the way, your bought 1 GB of extra RAM. Two 512 MB strips gives you 1024 MB of RAM, which is 1 GB. Also 1024 bytes is 1 KB, and 1024 KB is 1 MB. To my knowledge, the only ones who do not follow this convention for binary bits and bytes are the hard drive makers. They can advertise a larger drive by using the normal prefixes.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    along those lines, if the RAM needs to be installed in pairs, and just one chip is bad, neither will show up in the computer. it's entirely possible you have a bad chip, so neither will work.

where did you get the RAM from? i'd try to bring them back to the vendor and see if replacement chips work.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

along those lines, if the RAM needs to be installed in pairs, and just one chip is bad, neither will show up in the computer. it's entirely possible you have a bad chip, so neither will work.

where did you get the RAM from? i'd try to bring them back to the vendor and see if replacement chips work.

This is exactly what I was going to say about the pairs. This is most likely your problem, always read up on something before going through with it.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

Indeed.

The horse's mouth (Apple's G5 memory specs and requirements support page)
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Ok I got two new sticks of RAM and all is right with the world.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    that's why you post this stuff in the Genius bar and not current hardware.

glad to hear it's working!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Yeah well I posted some stuff on the Genius bar but apparently the geniuses were on vacation. I guess asking a question about an issue with current hardware does not belong in the current hardware section. What the hell was I thinking??
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Yeah well I posted some stuff on the Genius bar but apparently the geniuses were on vacation. I guess asking a question about an issue with current hardware does not belong in the current hardware section.

certainly the smart ass remarks don't. you're welcome.

(oh yeah, tech support is the Genius Bar.....

as for the people in the Genius Bar being on vacation, are you referring to this thread?

seems your question was asked and answered, and that was your only post there i could find. please show me which thread of yours was ignored. seeing as that's also my turf i'd be more than happy to help you out.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Sorry, I just have to figure out what these sections mean. So sorry to put you out. I am a newbie trying to gain some info and all I get is lectures on where to post. I will go look for a more friendly site for newbies without the shitty elitist attitude.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Yeah well I posted some stuff on the Genius bar but apparently the geniuses were on vacation...

Quote:

Sorry, I just have to figure out what these sections mean...

*statement mismatch*

<non of my business>

Elitest? You started with the smart ass comments as people were trying to help you. I think you are probably a troll. Albeit the best troll I have ever seen

</non of my business>
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I am not a troll. I am a very happy Mac user. I guess I just feel a certain hostility becasue a am a newbie. I am constanly voicing support for Apple at work and on the web. Hell here at work there is even a growing group of Mac rebels trying to gain a little support. We have approximately 60,000 employees using PC's and there are only 80 Mac users globally on our network. Granted there are things I cannot do on the Mac so I do have to use a PC machine once and awhile. I am sorry if I pissed off people here and I have made it a point to thank those that help me. I just don't have much time for attitudes that are not productive.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Gregg, it's just confusing when you switch between "Could you help me please" and "you're all a bunch of elitist jerks!" and then back to "I'm sorry I'm a newbie, I'm not sure what's going on..."

I don't have any idea what you want your personality to be like... you ask for help and get an answer, then you rudely declare that no one was willing to help you in the genius bar, then you make another post with an apology at the beginning that develops into being rude again, and then you are unhappy when people act strangely in response to this behavior.

People here are very welcoming if you are nice. They don't mind if you post in the wrong forum if you're new here, as long as you're polite about it. If you get indignant when someone politely corrects you, you can't expect everyone to be really nice to you.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I am not a troll. I am a very happy Mac user. I guess I just feel a certain hostility becasue a am a newbie. I am constanly voicing support for Apple at work and on the web. Hell here at work there is even a growing group of Mac rebels trying to gain a little support. We have approximately 60,000 employees using PC's and there are only 80 Mac users globally on our network. Granted there are things I cannot do on the Mac so I do have to use a PC machine once and awhile. I am sorry if I pissed off people here and I have made it a point to thank those that help me. I just don't have much time for attitudes that are not productive.

Dude, don't take it personally, we are just trying to help you, so that your chances of getting the info you want are better. Just relax, and enjoy and last your posts come across as a little whiny,(Don;t take it personal) so chill and ask away!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Ok ok you are probably not. But you can't blame me/other for thinking that, I mean you are one of the only people I've seen to have this many problems..at least all at once. I know in your thread about AppleWorks you didn't answer a lot of the questions that you were asked when given tips about troubleshooting. I'm a jerk I'll admit it, but I would try to be nice as mods are always polite and helpful until you rub them the wrong way. I just hope mods don't hate me as much as they used to (I'm trying to be good...no more threads about me!)
  • Reply 20 of 22
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I bought 2 512 sticks for my Dual G5 from Crucial. I got free shipping and paid only marginally more than other dealers. Put the RAM in and everything worked he first time. 1.5 GB is nice.