Speaking in Tongues ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Reading about Bush ( French Bouche ..Mouth ) & his alleged connections with Christian Fundamentalists...got me thinking whether or not Bush has ever been recorded "Speaking in Tongues" ?

It is a corner stone of many fundamentalist church groups in the USA...& I am sure many of them would welcome his speaking in tongues..if he hasn't already..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I don't know Aqua. I am not sure that all or even most fundamentalist denominations speak in tongues.

I suppose I could write more, but it is late here and early there. Good morning to you. Good night to me: I am tired after finally giving a long reply on the Zionism thread.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

I don't know Aqua. I am not sure that all or even most fundamentalist denominations speak in tongues.

I suppose I could write more, but it is late here and early there. Good morning to you. Good night to me: I am tired after finally giving a long reply on the Zionism thread.

Gutt Schlaffen
  • Reply 3 of 51
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Reading about Bush ( French Bouche ..Mouth ) & his alleged connections with Christian Fundamentalists...got me thinking whether or not Bush has ever been recorded "Speaking in Tongues" ?

It is a corner stone of many fundamentalist church groups in the USA...& I am sure many of them would welcome his speaking in tongues..if he hasn't already..

How many churches have you been to that speak in tongues?

stupid statement.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Every time he makes a public statement?
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by JRC

How many churches have you been to that speak in tongues?

stupid statement.

Actually, quite a few...IMO..They tend to be spread across both Catholic & protestant spheres..but most are from the latter camp...at least in my neck of the woods....
  • Reply 6 of 51
    I speak in tounges. I belong to the PAOC. Pentacostal Assemblies of Canada. I do not believe that is it defines anyone or any belief.

Just a way to express yourself to God.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    There is a video of him walking with serpents in his hands and chanting.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    yeah,

I heard that the Pentacostal people in the states do that... is that true?

we are nothing of the sort...
  • Reply 9 of 51
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think some do, yea. I've seen video of people doing that in a church but couldn't tell you what denomination it was.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Can someone type in tongues please?

Actually, can someone point me to somewhere that I can download an audio file of someone speaking in tongues?
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Can someone type in tongues please?

d035 l3375p34|< c0un70r?
  • Reply 12 of 51
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Actually, quite a few...IMO..They tend to be spread across both Catholic & protestant spheres..

This is assinine. I have never EVER heard anyone in a Catholic church speak in this way, least of all during an actual service! And I've been to Catholic churches all over the place. Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Arizona, Colorado, New York. You fail to recognize that the Catholic Mass is possibly one of the most solemn and conservative of all religious observances.

Far from yelping and screaming out "praise jesus" after a paragraph of babble and a bottle of poison, Catholic services are more likely to put a person to sleep.

You want people babbling in tongues, go to a BAPTIST service in the deep south. That's where you'll find most of these types, and even then I bet it's much less common than it used to be.

Seriously... I have never [heard anyone] saying they've witnessed a Catholic service where people speak in tongues (until now apparently). I'm sorry dude, but it is totally obvious you just lumped "Catholic churches" in there, because it's so incredibly popular right now to bash the Catholic church.

Totally lame IMO....
  • Reply 13 of 51
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

This is assinine. I have never EVER heard anyone in a Catholic church speak in this way, least of all during an actual service! And I've been to Catholic churches all over the place. Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Arizona, Colorado, New York. You fail to recognize that the Catholic Mass is possibly one of the most solemn and conservative of all religious observances.

Far from yelping and screaming out "praise jesus" after a paragraph of babble and a bottle of poison, Catholic services are more likely to put a person to sleep.

You want people babbling in tongues, go to a BAPTIST service in the deep south. That's where you'll find most of these types, and even then I bet it's much less common than it used to be.

Seriously... I have never [heard anyone] saying they've witnessed a Catholic service where people speak in tongues (until now apparently). I'm sorry dude, but it is totally obvious you just lumped "Catholic churches" in there, because it's so incredibly popular right now to bash the Catholic church.

Totally lame IMO....

For starters..I am dissapointed at your "assine" remarks..It's not like you to be so..close minded.

Second point, I was raised Roman Catholic. Baptised & confirmed.I still attend church.. & in the interest of openess & dialogue, have been to many other denominations in my city.

What you fail to acknowledge is the Catholic Charismatic movement, which has some 75 million adherents world wide.

They endorse with the Popes' consent, the speaking in tongues...as one of the gifts of spirit. So it is not just pentacostal, baptist or protestant...as you would put it.

The charismatic catholic/revivalist protesant movement IS a world wide christian phenomena.. This might offer you an insight..

http://religion-cults.com/spirit/charismatic.htm

Personally I acknowledge that for many people across such a broad spectrum of denominations, the speaking in tongues is an essential "proof" ( Glossia & Xenoglossia . And No I am not into Catholic bashing..

If you have a long enough memory, you'd know I'd consider most "christian churches" as actually being "Paulian". His (Pauls') emphasis being on the life of Christ & salvation from the cross ...and NOT on the central message of Christ's true ministry..that of salvation through love & of our spiritual sonship with all our brothers in unity with God the eternal father.without the need for intermediaries of any kind..

But that as they say..is another story...
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Are you speaking in tongues at the moment Aqua ?

Yabba Dabba Do...
  • Reply 15 of 51
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    What do you mean by speaking in tongues ?. The few times i went in church in France they where speaking french, when i went to austria in Saint Etienne cathedral they where speaking german (and i didnt understand anything, i fact i was more interested in the archirecture than any other things).

I guess that you speak english while you are in a american church.

Only integrist speak in latin in France.

Some explanations are welcome.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Ah, I see.....maybe this useful useful guide to glossololia can be of some help !

V funny...

But couldn't find my favs..either

No pidjinglish...

No Engrish

No bro cool tungzinit

No Gobbldeegook...

No Do be do be do be doo..

No do~wha do~wah do~wah.

No Dah dah dah Dumm

No Babba da Boom

No yeah yeah yeah

No yadda yadda yadda

& No strine..Geezz your standards are slipping Sedgy...
  • Reply 17 of 51
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    talking in languages one has never learned to speak in this life is not a phenomenon of churches only. as it can happen and has happened to atheist and non-christians too.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

talking in languages one has never learned to speak in this life is not a phenomenon of churches only. as it can happen and has happened to atheist and non-christians too.

Yes and then it is called possesion.... bring on the exorcist
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

What do you mean by speaking in tongues ?. The few times i went in church in France they where speaking french, when i went to austria in Saint Etienne cathedral they where speaking german (and i didnt understand anything, i fact i was more interested in the archirecture than any other things).

I guess that you speak english while you are in a american church.

Only integrist speak in latin in France.

Some explanations are welcome.

If I may put it succinctly :

There are Two types of "Speaking in Tongue "

"Glossia'" & " Exenoglossia "

Both were apparently known to Paul..1st century AD..

The terms derive from the greek " tongue "

Those thus " possessed " by the Holy spirit would speak either in a foreign language...as a Greek might suddenly ( & without prior knowledge of said language ) start speaking in Russian...this was termed Xeno ( foreigner or stranger )Glossia, but was recognisable and undertood by other peoples...

The other type..simply Glossia...was not translatable and was often referred to as the language spoken by angels..

At the time of Christ's ascension into heaven he promised the aid of another...the Holy Spirit...

& it is recorded in the NT, that after the Holy Spirit poured itself upon them, they all started speaking in foreign languages......So much so, that merchants from other countries abiding in Judea..mistook them as being fellows from their own distant lands..and not local fishermen.

This would naturally have aided the semination of Christ's teachings...across the known world.

It is the babbling type of speaking in tongues that I have my doubts over..but I respect that it is a proof for some...
  • Reply 20 of 51
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Aqua, I'm sorry if I disappointed you with my earlier post, but I have to reiterate that my (pretty wide) experience with Catholics services - even a few that would be considered "progressive" in style and tone - are that they are at the other end of the spectrum from what I envision as "speaking in tongues".

Maybe that's where the real problem here lies. When I think speaking in tongues I think Robert Deniro going under with the boat in Cape Fear. I think unintelligble babble -- sort of a trance-like state where no one knows what the hell the person is saying. That's a bit different from say people in one church praying aloud in different, Roman languages.

I don't know what you'd call that but I never though of that particular scenario as "speaking in tongues". Clear things up a bit? And thanks for thinking that I'm not usually "close minded"... second nicest thing anyone has said to me all day.