Who is buying a new PowerBook?

Comments

• Reply 181 of 336
    I checked the net to track how my order is going, and it just (about 20 minutes ago) changed to scheduled for the 25th to ship. Scheduled to be delivered the 26th!!!!

YEAH BABY YEAH!!!!

I've been waiting for this PB for 6 agonising months! I hope I get it tomorrow so I can play with it all weekend!!

Will let you know my thoughts when I get it and put it through its paces!!
  • Reply 182 of 336
    Swweeeet!!!

Airborne said I'd get my new AL 15 Powerbook monday most likely... here today I sit typing on it.... damn it's sexy!

I love the aluminum texture all over... it looks soooo sweet. Looks much more robust and stable too.

Just copying over some docs and stuff, but I'll let you know how it works in FCP soon if anyone is interested... I'm upgrading from a Ti500, so it should zip along much nicer!
  • Reply 183 of 336
    666666 Posts: 134member
    i keep staring @ my order status... on or before 8/10/03......

i'm upgrading from a borrowed ibook clamshell. This will blow my mind!!
  • Reply 184 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by cris84

PS. I just wanted to say I had a bad experience with the sales guys at the Apple Store in Los Angeles. Like Pandoering's experience, they just wanted to sell me what they had in stock instead of helping me decide what I needed. They were pretty rude too.

However, I am still a very happy camper with my order

I've had quite good experiences with Apple/resellers. In the Apple-dedicated Micro Anvika on Tottenham Court Road, London, the sales rep was singing the praises of the 12" instead of trying to sell me on a 15", which I made obvious I was seriously considering. And when I finally ordered my 15" by phone through the Apple Store UK, the lady sales rep was very friendly (it was the 17 Sep and we rambled on excitedly to each other about the Expo for 45mis!) and made sure I really wanted a SD and a one-stick 512MB RAM. (Yes and No respectively, it turns out.)

She saved me a lot of money that day by bringing me to my senses. Thank You
  • Reply 185 of 336
    YOU (lucky gits) with 15" PBs (esp 1.25GHZ + 5400RPM HDDs)

More reports on

Noise

Speed

Heat

Latch

Battery

Plaeeeeese

[Edit: added Battery]
  • Reply 186 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

[B]YOU (lucky gits) with 15" PBs (esp 1.25GHZ + 5400RPM HDDs)

More reports on

Noise - Nothing out of the ordinary... don't think the fan has come on all day in my hot office...

Speed - seems peppy enough... quicker than my Ti500, haven't run FCP yet

Heat - seems a little warm, but my office is about 80 F

Latch - push the button, springs open about a quarter inch... much nicer than my old Ti that took 2 hands. No issues at all.

The Alumninum keys are interesting to type on... a nice texture. the whole thing is very "metal" ie, extremely little plastic visible anywhere... so it feels very substantial and "sexy in an industrial way".

Great very bright screen too!

Charlie
  • Reply 187 of 336
    Cheers kyogen.

How bout battery aswell? And Im really worried bout the heat. Do you know how hot it gets compared to the old Ti? I didn't have one but when I went to a reseller, a 15" Ti that had been on display all day was suprisingly cool - warm to the touch, but not very warm and definitely not hot.

More reviews ppl!
  • Reply 188 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Cheers kyogen.

How bout battery aswell? And Im really worried bout the heat.

More reviews ppl!

not bad on heat, left side is a little warm, but not so hot as my Ti got... I'm installling apps, emailing and web browsing... Unless you are literally going to put it on your lap all the time and run video editing apps or big games, I wouldn't stress on the heat.

I have a little fan on my desk that used to blow on the back/under my TI book... that's really more than enough for a desk... there are also some little USB fans that i was thinking about trying out... like 14 bucks US at CompUSA...

I think the speed, screen and "kool" factor definitely make it a "keeper!"
  • Reply 189 of 336
    Oh yea, on the battery, I've had mine on batts for at least 2-3 hours here on my desk, and it's down to 38%... I didn't check the exact time, sorry... I'll check that tomorrow... but my Ti book would have "slept" quite a while ago...
  • Reply 190 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by kyogen

...Unless you are literally going to put it on your lap all the time and run video editing apps or big games, I wouldn't stress on the heat...

Just one or two big games
  • Reply 191 of 336
    FINALLY, my 15"er is leaving L.A. and moving its way through the dustbowl (up the hillbilly highway, no doubt).

I've spent way too much time analyzing shipping patterns of many many powerbook shipments, and even though Airborne's shipping information sucks, I'm pretty confident that I will have it in my greasy hands tomorrow.

BTW, anyone know a good anodized Al polish?
  • Reply 192 of 336
    <PREPARES FOR MAJOR RANT >

OK, so an update on my shambolic Apple order. My last entry was when Apple realised they were idiots and were going to send out my powerbook "as a matter of urgency" to arrive with me definitely today.

So after constant calls (and waiting listening to f%^&ing Enya) trying to get hold of my TNT tracking number I finally find out today that they're handing it over to TNT "right now". A full 48 hours after they were handing it over to TNT "right now". Both times they spoke directly to the guy in the warehouse apparantly.

So I get a little annoyed. Oh well, at least I'll have it tomorrow. Oh no, apparantly TNT, one of the world's leading Worldwide Express Delivery companies, doesn't work weekends. So I should get my powerbook Monday ....... "or Tuesday at the latest".

Just to remind you, it shipped on the 17th September and then sat in Luxembourg for a full 7 days while it waited for my laptop case to arrive so they could send the out together. The same laptop case that arrived at my house on 24th September.

For crying out loud, I've never ordered from Apple directly before and I can't believe how bad it's been. I know they're busy and all but 12 days from shipping to delivery! Please someone tell me I've jsut been unlucky?!!

There had better not be any problems with the book when it finally arrives. I don't think I'm going to be in the mood for any more hassle.

P.S I do realise I'm lucky to be getting it this early anyweay in the UK, but that doesn't justify 12 days for deilvery IMHO.

Sorry if this was a little over the top, but I really needed to vent a little anger
  • Reply 193 of 336

Sorry about yours, Wifty! Hopefully TNT isn't the EU equivalent of Airborne. What a bunch of Keystone Kops.
  • Reply 194 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wifty

OK, so an update on my shambolic Apple order. My last entry was when Apple realised they were idiots and were going to send out my powerbook "as a matter of urgency" to arrive with me definitely today.

So after constant calls (and waiting listening to f%^&ing Enya)...

I had to listen to f**king Enya for 21 MINUTES!!! today (I phoned from work cos the Boss isn't there and its my last day before Uni anyway) - the whole room *enjoyed* Enya on speakerphone

But I am so pissed off... (BTW I?ve now been waiting close to half-an-hour on auto redial to get through to "Customer Serivces" (Joke) at my insurance company ?cos they got my student policy wrong- they classed my PB G4 as a "desktop")anyway...

Quote:

Just to remind you, it shipped on the 17th September and then sat in Luxembourg for a full 7 days while it waited for my laptop case to arrive so they could send the out together. The same laptop case that arrived at my house on 24th September.

Please someone tell me I've jsut been unlucky?!! )

Err... nope. I ordered my 1.25 15" PB 5400RPM on Wed 17 Sep by phone. I got an email about 2 days(!) later, confirming my order that had been placed on the 18th(!) and that's it so far.IT HASN'T EVEN SHIPPED!!!

After waiting on hold for aaaaages today, they said it MIGHT ship Mon 29 Sep, and arrive in the second week of OCTOBER. "Excuse me?!" I said, genuinely shocked. Then she said - maybe on Mon 6 Oct. FFS!!! So, what is that - 18 days from date of order!!! I'm gonna have to travel home from Uni just to pick up my laptop.

\

Quote:

There had better not be any problems with the book when it finally arrives. I don't think I'm going to be in the mood for any more hassle. )

Ditto
  • Reply 195 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Nope, I just turned on the laptop and let it drain. I thought my way was the correct procedure.

It is REALLY hot on the backside, and the wrist area is warmer than when I wrote earlier. Much more so than the Ti which was barely warm to the touch. This would, during the hot summer months, make my hands sweat I think. Perhaps the 10.2.8 would fix this?

Ah Dave, just to point you in the right direction.....from Apple's KB:

DISCUSSION

The Lithium Ion battery of an iBook or PowerBook computer has an internal microprocessor that provides an estimate of the amount of energy in the battery during charging and discharging. The battery needs to be recalibrated from time to time to keep the onscreen battery time and percent display accurate. You should perform this procedure when you first use your computer and then every few months thereafter.

Follow these steps:

1. Plug the power adapter in and fully charge your computer's battery until the battery indicator lights turn off and the adapter plug ring goes from amber to green, which indicates that the battery is fully charged.

2. Disconnect the power adapter and use your iBook or PowerBook. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen. Continue to use your computer until it goes to sleep. At that point the battery has been sufficiently drained for calibration.

3. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

Note: You have to fully charge and then discharge your battery only once to calibrate it. After that, you can connect and disconnect the power adapter when the battery is at any charge level.

Important: When the battery reaches "empty", the computer is forced into sleep mode. The battery actually keeps back a reserve beyond "empty", to maintain the computer in sleep for a period of time. Once the battery is truly exhausted, the computer is forced into shutdown. At this point, any open files could be lost. Therefore, it is important that you find an electrical outlet and connect the adapter before the forced shutdown occurs.

There you have it.

I posted this cos I needed clarification myself and wanted to share the knowledge
  • Reply 196 of 336
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Well, I've seen the 15" in person. Two words sum it up for me.

1) Too big

2) Underwhelming

So the 12" it is then... I'll probably get myself one at christmas (with Panther... I hope)

Barto
  • Reply 197 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Well, I've seen the 15" in person. Two words sum it up for me.

1) Too big

2) Underwhelming

So the 12" it is then... I'll probably get myself one at christmas (with Panther... I hope)

Barto

What was under the mark for you about it? Did you have your heart really set on the 12 before you saw the 15's anyway?

heheh I like the tism line
  • Reply 198 of 336
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I was totally gonna get a 12", then Apple introduced the Aluminium 15". It looks totally cool in Apple's product shots, and then I saw it in person...

It's just too big for a really-portable computer. On top of that, the industrial design is identical to the 17", in fact you need the 17" next to it to tell them apart...

Seeing it next to a 12" shows how much better the 12" is, at least for my needs anyway.

And yeah, it's SCARY how many TISM fans there are on AppleInsider.

Barto
  • Reply 199 of 336
    Got my 1.25 today. Love it...and NO DEAD PIXELS. I have one or two of the VERY slight white anomalies, but I barely notice them, if they even exist (it could just be my paranoia) Anyway, great product Apple...two thumbs way up
  • Reply 200 of 336
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    I have had my 15" 1.25 Aluminum Powerbook for several days now and have not found any flaws.