Problems downloading on OSX

anaana
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just bought a new12" powerbook and decided that I wanted to put Virtual PC 6 on my machine. The only problem is that everytime I go to download Virtual PC 6 it gives me an error message saying that I need to run Mac OS Extended or HFS+. Is this another version of OSX that I have to buy? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Perhaps you should try buying Virtual PC and maybe you wouldn't have such trouble.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

Perhaps you should try buying Virtual PC and maybe you wouldn't have such trouble.

jeeez, someone's jumpy... ya know, you can also buy and download VPC directly from the website...

regarding the original question, well, unless you've frmatted your hard drive, I dont see what the problem could be.

What gives you the error? VPC? Disk Copy? The OS?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Mac OS Extended/HFS+ is the file system of the hard drive. Look in Disk Utility to tell what your hard drive is currently using.

It'd be surprising that the new powerbook wasn't formatted in HFS+ by default. Though OS X technically runs on UFS (and does it run on normal HFS?) I don't think it is supported as well.

You may have to format and reinstall. (or maybe the System Restore CDs will give you formatting options)
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by ana

I just bought a new12" powerbook and decided that I wanted to put Virtual PC 6 on my machine. The only problem is that everytime I go to download Virtual PC 6 it gives me an error message saying that I need to run Mac OS Extended or HFS+. Is this another version of OSX that I have to buy? Thank you in advance.

Where is this error coming up? I've never heard of DOWNLOADING something that cares what your hard drive is formatted as. Very odd.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Just to make things clearer...

I did buy Virtual PC 6. I got the version that puts Windows 2000 Pro on the computer. When I put the cd in to start downloading the program the error message comes up. I also checked the disk utility function and under format it says HFS+, so I don't know what the problem could be.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ana

When I put the cd in to start downloading the program the error message comes up.

I think he means to say installing, not downloading.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Yes I mean install. Thank you.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Downloading from the CD.

Did you check the VPC website for information?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I did check the website and there was nothing that resembled my problem. Is there any way that there is something wrong with the cd, and that is why it is not installing?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ana

I did buy Virtual PC 6.

My apologies for 'lashing' out before. I just have a very low tolerance for software pirating.
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

ya know, you can also buy and download VPC directly from the website...

Where? I'm genuinely interested if this is possible because I'm looking to purchase Virtual PC in the near future. But all I see is this.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soosy

It'd be surprising that the new powerbook wasn't formatted in HFS+ by default. Though OS X technically runs on UFS (and does it run on normal HFS?) I don't think it is supported as well.

I don't think OSX can be run HFS.

As for UFS, stay away from it. There are a lot of problems you will encounter by using it.

Ask Brad for more info.

I don't think you can download VPC anymore. Connectix would let you(for that I hate them, long story), but it doesn't look like MS is going to carry that on.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

As for UFS, stay away from it. There are a lot of problems you will encounter by using it.

So very, very true. \

ana: Do this: Open Disk Utility and select your drive's name and see what is says by "Format:". If it's UFS, you're going to need to reformat your drive. We'll give you instructions if this is the case, but go ahead and check for us first.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    I looked under my disk utility and by format it says HFS+ for my HD. I then put the cd in and clicked on it in disk utility. Under the CD part it said format HFS.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ana

I looked under my disk utility and by format it says HFS+ for my HD. I then put the cd in and clicked on it in disk utility. Under the CD part it said format HFS.

ana, are you by any chance double-clicking Virtual PC 6 on the CD? To install you drag Virtual PC 6 to the Applications folder on your hard drive. Trying to run it from the CD would cause the error message you mentioned.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    ana

The only time I had a problem downloading

was when my firewall was activated.

I turned it off and things went smoothly.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Here is what I did. When I put in the cd I put the little cd icon in the applications folder. After I did that I opened the folder in the applications folder and then draged the VPC6 icon over to the program applications folder. After that it started istalling. Thank you so much for all of the help everyone. I have used a pc all my life and decided to switch to mac. I was not very sure about the istalling process, and the instructions that came with the program were not very clear. Now that everything is working wonderfully I just wanted to express my gratitude to all of those who helped.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by ana

Here is what I did. When I put in the cd I put the little cd icon in the applications folder. After I did that I opened the folder in the applications folder and then draged the VPC6 icon over to the program applications folder. After that it started istalling. Thank you so much for all of the help everyone. I have used a pc all my life and decided to switch to mac. I was not very sure about the istalling process, and the instructions that came with the program were not very clear. Now that everything is working wonderfully I just wanted to express my gratitude to all of those who helped.

Probably what was happening before was that an alias(similar to a shortcut in pc lingo) was being copied rather than the actual CD. CDs (and harddrives) generally default to creating an alias when trying to copy to another HardDrive. Holding down the option key (while dragging and dropping) will force it to copy the whole CD/HD (the cursor/mouse pointer will be appended by a plus + sign). In your case you probably didn't need to copy the entire CD but rather just the VirtualPC folder, in which case it would have defaulted to a copy operation rather than an alias. Generally if you look at a CD installer in icon view (four little squares button on Finder window) it will some sort of instructive text as to which folder to drag and drop for install (some applications such as some Abode products will run a double clickable installer off of the CD). Good luck!