12" PB "On or before 09/25/2003"... tick, tick, tick

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It's now the last day for my "On or before 09/25/2003" estimated shipping for a new 12" PowerBook to be true. It still lists as "open". It's a BTO (added Airport, increased to 80GB), and I would have hoped to at least see the status show that it's being built by now.

I'm cynically expecting a last-minute e-mail bumping the ship date at least another week. I'd happily have that particular expectation end in disappointment.

In the meantime... may the Deity or Cosmic Forces of your choice shed his/her/its/their blessings upon eBay! My 17-month old 800 MHz TiBook (40GB, 512MB, Airport, extra battery, original Jaguar CDs) sold for $1360. My net cost of upgrading to a new 1 GHz, 80 MB, Airport Extreme 12" PowerBook, after adding 512M of third-party RAM, will be about $800. Gotta love how used Macs maintain value!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Right there with you buddy.

Since it will hopefully ship today, I probably won't actually get it until Monday (or Tuesday given Airborne Express's dodgy track record).

Screed
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Right there with you buddy.

Since it will hopefully ship today, I probably won't actually get it until Monday (or Tuesday given Airborne Express's dodgy track record).

Screed

You are telling me! My iPod shipped friday the 19th and it isn't here yet but it had the 23rd as the est. date of arrival but it isn't here yet or and update on their website tracking. Also my powerbook shipped the 22nd and it should have been here yesterday (didn't really expect it though) but I hope tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind if it took longer like it is as long as I knew where it as and could actually TRACK it I'm just impatient I suppose.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    A sign?

Apple Online Store -- PowerBooks

Until today, the 15" and 17" models had captions reading Available today. Those captions are gone now, putting the 12" on equal footing with the other models. Hopefully this doesn't mean that all models now take longer to ship.

Both a 12" and a 15" showed 5-7 days to ship for an order placed today.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Damn! My PB's status just changed to "On or before 10/03/2003". Eight more days. Until maybe they bump later it again.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I'm still trying to figure out if I should get the 12" or 15" powerbook. I went to my local Apple dealer and they only had the 15" and 17" models in. I played around with the 1Ghz 15", played a DVD on it etc..and the drool factor was VERY high! Unfortunately, it's quite costly too! They said they won't be getting the 12" in for another 10 - 14 days?? Grrrr. Since you guys ordered a 12", what are your thoughts on it? How do DVD's look on the screen (good quality)? etc..etc..

I like the fact that I can save $1250 Cdn ($900 US), if I get a 12" compared to the 15" (w/student discount). This beast wouldn't be for gaming, just writing...Next summer I plan on a G5 3 ghz (if Steve Jobs keeps his promise!). Take care...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Heh, my cubicle neighbor just received his 15" Powerbook. He's away at meetings and has yet to open it. I want to rip it open!

He will be officially a new convert. Heh heh. I didn't do it directly or with heavy pressure. I brought in my iPod and soon after he bought an iPod for Windows. And then he started asking about the Powerbooks.

My 12" is still slated for today. He ordered his a few days after I did mine and his is sitting here. Rat bastard... switched rat bastard, but still...

Screed
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I live in the UK and I received an email on the 18 Sept saying:

Quote:

"Thank you for your order dated 17-SEP-2003... Allow 4 - 6 days to build your order.

Allow 3 - 6 business days(after shipping) to deliver.

I make 6 Oct the absolute latest my order could arrive (counting 18 Sep as Day One and counting 12 Business days after that for build time and delivery time.) Is this right?

Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Damn! My PB's status just changed to "On or before 10/03/2003". Eight more days. Until maybe they bump later it again.

Another thing: What's all this 'Airborne Express' stuff. I have never heard of them through Apple and I have not been given a tracking number for them with my order. Does this come later or what?

• Reply 8 of 16
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

You are telling me! My iPod shipped friday the 19th and it isn't here yet but it had the 23rd as the est. date of arrival but it isn't here yet or and update on their website tracking. Also my powerbook shipped the 22nd and it should have been here yesterday (didn't really expect it though) but I hope tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind if it took longer like it is as long as I knew where it as and could actually TRACK it I'm just impatient I suppose.

Same deal with my iPod, shipped the 20th... only showed status in Shanghai until yesterday, as "picked up at shipper's door" in Illinois, so Airborne says it should get here by tomorrow.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Airborne is a bunch of idiots. My mom has done graphic design work for over twenty years and the only carrier she won't use is Airborne. Some companies insist on them because they're a few cents cheaper, but they usually run into nothing but problems. Of course, now things have changed and she usually just emails PDFs instead of shipping color proofs back and forth.

If you have the option to not use Airborne, do take it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    !!!NO!!!

My ship date got changed to 10/3!!

Screed
  • Reply 11 of 16
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Okay... it's 10/03, the last day of my second ship date. Sounds like some people have started to see BTO 12"-ers ship, but no signs of progress on mine yet, as of this time today.

I feel another bumped ship date coming on. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    No change in my online status... but 1-800-MYAPPLE says that my order is "being processed". Which should mean it will ship today.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

No change in my online status... but 1-800-MYAPPLE says that my order is "being processed". Which should mean it will ship today.

on thursday apple wrote my pb 12" SD/60GB will be shiped next week. but today they wrote again it has been shiped it´s on the way!!

have fun with your pb´s

enduristo /germany

ordered 09/17 edu-store
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Okay... it's not quite shipping today. In fact, I got another one of those dreaded new shipping date e-mails, this time saying (yikes!) 10/15/03.

Another call to 1-800-MYAPPLE -- a call which the e-mail actually says that you have to make or your order can be cancelled -- once again assured me that my new 12" PB was being processed, had been built and boxed up, and should ship out on Monday.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    I bought my 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 last Sunday and it was suppost to ship 10.14.03 but Apple sent me an email saying it shipped on Wednesday, so it will be here, at my door on Monday. almost 3 weeks early!

So those emails can sometimes be good, but in your case, it isn't
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Looks like I don't have to wait until Monday for shipping. I got my FedEx tracking number today.

It's shipping directly from Taiwan. Expected arrival date is Wednesday. I'll probably get my new PowerBook at around the same time as the guy who bought my old PowerBook gets the old one out of Australian customs.