12" Powerbook headphone output

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My powerbook seems to have a fault - the headphone socket only seems to be delivering an output to only one channel (i.e one speaker/headphone-can seems to be vastly louder than the other).

I've checked the other hardware (i.e my stereo and headphones) and they're fine.

Is there a hidden balance control inside OS X or iTunes that could have inadvertantly been triggered or am i dealing with a hardware fault that needs a repair?

advice please!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    This happens to me when the plug is not inserted all the way. You might want to see whether you haven't pushed it that last 16th of an inch into the jack.

Alternatively, it can be caused by a short in the headphone jack, in which case you'd need service.

-- Mark
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Try going to the "Audio MIDI Setup" in your utilities folder and make sure your levels are equal, this problem occasionally happens on my 15 superdive 800 iMac and it's always because their off balance.

Hope this helps
  • Reply 3 of 4
    David..how do you like your 12" powerbook? Is the screen quality as good as the 15"? How about playing DVD's? Good quality too? Any advice or "I wish I would've bought XXX" would be appreciated!! Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Ok, thanks for the reponse guys.

I thoroughly checked all connections (i.e the phono inputs at the back of my stereo, and the mini jack) to make sure they were all fully pushed home and they were.

Then i opened this Audio MIDI setup utility and hey presto one of the channels was low a quick fiddle with the settings and we were back to normal. The question is why should this have happened? I've never opened this utility before and have made no changes to any audio settings so why did this hapen of it's own accord.

chikan: I love my powerbook. It's a standard Rev A with no additional RAM (i.e it has 256MB). The screen is truly excellent and makes my IBM T22 at work look like a cheap piece of rubbish. Can't comment on the 15" as i haven't experienced one. The DVD playback is excellent - either on it's built on screen or on an external monitor. I'm viewing it on a 19" NEC TFT and the sound is coming through my stereo. The playback can get a little jerky if you have monitor spanning mode enabled, but if you have the monitors set on mirroring mode then it's fine (although you get a little blur on fast moving white text - e.g end credits on films etc - this is a TFT issue rather than the powerbook's playback though). I occasionally output it through my 28" Widscreen TV through an S-Video connection and i'd say it would rival dedicated DVD players at the cheaper end of the market. I use my powerbook mainly as a very expensive jukebox which is why i was so alarmed when i came up with this volume problem.