3.8GHz P4

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is great news huh.... A 3.8Ghz P4 2MB L3 and a 950Mhz bus. the chipset on the new motherboards also are ready for the P5. even more great news. IBM start working on the 980 cause the 970 just got pasted up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    still pricey ... a regular 3.0 ghz p4 will work just fine.

wait for a price drop on the new intel chip
  • Reply 2 of 33
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0814021317.htm

Yes, it appears that the P4 might hit 3.8 GHz by the end of next year.

Pentium 4s top out at 3.2 GHz right now. They're not at 3.8 GHz yet, and they don't have L3 cache yet. I don't know if they ever will, as the article I linked to has no mention of it.

Are you referring to that weird Apple-imitation site? They talk out of their ass constantly and hide behind their fine print legal statements.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    I thought you were working on the next processor design for apple...you better kick it into gear friend

got a link? edit: looks like luca got it.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Pentium 4s top out at 3.2 GHz right now. They're not at 3.8 GHz yet, and they don't have L3 cache yet. I don't know if they ever will, as the article I linked to has no mention of it.

Are you referring to that weird Apple-imitation site? They talk out of their ass constantly and hide behind their fine print legal statements.

Agreed. How about we compare the things that are shipping right now instead of comparing what things will be like in November of 04? Besides, the G5 will be at 3GHz by then and it will absolutely crush a 3.8GHz P4. We'll do future benchmarks when the time comes around.

Where the 2MB of L3 cache will undoubtedly provide a nice speed boost, it will also cost quite a bit of money! This won't be a cheap CPU.

BTW, nice headphones.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:

The author of the blurb in your link seems pretty doubtful that they're going to pull of a 3.8 Ghz P4 by the end of this year. (edit: sorry, you said end of next year, not this year...)

Anybody here work for Intel? Do you trade your soul to the devil at the time of initial hiring, or do they wait until the next big product release and trade the newly acquired souls at that time?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    THe p4 at 3.8 is already released. Go to this site http://www.go-l.com/desktops/index.htm.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

THe p4 at 3.8 is already released. Go to this site http://www.go-l.com/desktops/index.htm.

Ummm... is that link a subtle joke?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Until I can buy one from pricewatch it doesn't exist.

That's a lot of googlehurtz.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

The materials appearing on this Site could include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. Liebermann Inc. does not warrant that any of the materials on this Site are accurate, complete, or current... Liebermann Inc. does not, however, make any commitment to update the materials. All prices and configurations are subject to change without notice or obligation... Some products and services many not be available for all locations.

Yeah, basically they're saying they can make up any specs they want and not take any responsibility for them. If you call up and order a 3.8 GHz P4 system, they will gladly take your money but you won't get it until it actually comes out. And because of their legal disclaimers, they won't have to give you anything until it's available.

This is as if the G5s were pre-announced in late 2002. Sure, Apple would let you send them money to pre-order one, but you wouldn't get one until the G5 actually came out.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    In case nobody noticed, the 3.8 was an Athlon, not an Intel... Notice the laptops are spec'ed normal, but the desktops are faster... This is because they are using massive cooling systems to crank up the "googlehertz"!!!

I think this site is for real. The reason I say this is because #1, do you know how long it would take to develop a site that looks like this? #2, they have an extensive product line with prices up in the stratusphere!!!!! ($3999 to $7799 for the aforementioned 3.8 ghz machine)

Yeah, this is what Apple computer would look like if they sold PCs...
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Try again. There's no mention of any such beast on Intel's web site.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    3.8 is not an athlon, Look at the specs of the computer. P4. The athlon is only at 3400+
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by palter

Try again. There's no mention of any such beast on Intel's web site.

Wow... a joke gone so far as to have a toll free order line? 1-877-279-6155... So its just some eccentric millionaire sitting there messing with people's heads?

Folks, this is either the most expensive joke ever or its for real. The PuRam option (non-volatile ram-based hard drive) is a $4999 option.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    if its a joke, then Apples in on it:

http://www.macnews.com/2003/09/22/grandcanyon

Heres the taskbar replacement they use:

http://www.truelaunchbar.com
  • Reply 15 of 33
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

3.8 is not an athlon, Look at the specs of the computer. P4. The athlon is only at 3400+

Are you sane?

No one ever said it was an Athlon. Go look at Intel's product page. A chip like this does not exist.

(Now it may be possible with overclocking and major cooling, but that is another story entirely. And yes, Intel does allow retailers/OEM manufacturers to sell O/C'ed chips as long as it is made clear that they are O/C'ed.)
  • Reply 16 of 33
    I strongly believe that g-lo site is trying to mock apple.

like *sarcasm on* "look at us...we're apple, we make expensive computers with 18 gigabloopers, our computers are soooo fast AND we're artsy and innovative, la dee dah" *sarcasm off*
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Well, I just called their toll-free number.

Amazing. I think they are the real thing. It's weird though... I mean, it's such a blatant copy of Apple's website! Not just "in a similar style" or anything, it seems as though everything is the exact same, to the point where it's hard to believe it's real. But I have no idea why someone would bother setting up a toll free number and hire receptionists for a hoax. I only asked why there were 3.8 GHz desktops advertised if the fastest available processors today were only 3.2 GHz, and the guy just gave me an explanation that was a euphemism for for "overclocked." So apparently, they just overclock their P4s and sell them like that. Doesn't actually seem too weird now, it's just their website that confuses the hell out of me. I would think that Apple would have sent them a notice or something by now. Maybe they're just ignoring it.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

Well, I just called their toll-free number.

Amazing. I think they are the real thing. It's weird though... I mean, it's such a blatant copy of Apple's website! Not just "in a similar style" or anything, it seems as though everything is the exact same, to the point where it's hard to believe it's real. But I have no idea why someone would bother setting up a toll free number and hire receptionists for a hoax. I only asked why there were 3.8 GHz desktops advertised if the fastest available processors today were only 3.2 GHz, and the guy just gave me an explanation that was a euphemism for for "overclocked." So apparently, they just overclock their P4s and sell them like that. Doesn't actually seem too weird now, it's just their website that confuses the hell out of me. I would think that Apple would have sent them a notice or something by now. Maybe they're just ignoring it.

They have all sorts of one-off PCs that use Peltier (sp) and other exotic cooling systems. This is nothing unusual or illegitimate. They work... The only thing is your power consumption is through the roof.. I have a buddy that built his own peltier cooled overclocked PC. Whatever... for the extra .6 Ghz, I think I can wait and save myself $10,000. Though it looks like they've actually customized Windows XP in a very cool way.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    No, currently there is no 3.8GHz P4 and as stated above, any site who is offering the chip at that speed is over-clocking it (the extreme cooling methods shown may give that away as well). However, Intel did just release a 3.2GHz P4 'Extreme' edition which adds a 2MB cache to the current beast.

Also, in the next month or two Intel is going to be updating their Pentium line with the 'Prescott' chip which is to debut at 3.2GHz, 3.4GHz, 3.6GHz and will be eventually be scaled as high as 5GHz (0.09 micron process, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2, Advanced Hyper-Threading, new instructions etc.) With specs like this, I think a name change is in order? 'P5' anyone?

http://www.hwextreme.com/articles/prescott/
  • Reply 20 of 33
    It's a real company. The 3.8ghz PC is an overclocked 3.2. Look at the cooling on this thing, it's basically a refrigerator. As for the design of the site, I say flattery is the highest form of complement. I mean, it's not like Apple is really trying to compete with this small company. I would be more worried about Dell's rip off of the iTunes music store.