dumb question about iPod sharing...

zozo
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was under the impression that you can use an iPod with 2 Macs / PCs... as in, share the music.

Isnt that the case?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Question 5: I have a computer at home and one at work. Can I update my iPod music collection from more than one computer?

Answer: Yes. When you first connect iPod to your computer, iPod recognizes that computer as its "home" computer. Each time you connect, iPod automatically downloads the music library stored on it. When you connect iPod to a different computer, iPod asks for permission before synchronizing with this music library. If you choose Auto-sync, iPod recognizes the second computer as its home computer and breaks the link with the original computer. If you do not choose Auto-sync, iPod switches to manual update mode, allowing you to selectively drag songs, albums, or playlists from the second computer to your iPod.

Synchronization occurs only in one direction, from your computer to your iPod. This means you cannot transfer music, automatically or manually, from your iPod to a computer, and you cannot use iPod to copy a music library from one computer to another.

you can kindly lock zee thread, thanks...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    its also possible to take songs from the ipod and put them onto another computer. it takes a little bit of work in terminal though (or with any number of no-cost programs avail at the ipodlounge).
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

its also possible to take songs from the ipod and put them onto another computer. it takes a little bit of work in terminal though (or with any number of no-cost programs avail at the ipodlounge).

Thank you for your suggestion. I bought an iPod yesterday and have been trying to share songs across my macs in vain.

But what is your impression about the reliability of those sharewares at the ipodlounge? I don't want any bug-prone shareware screws my brandnew iPod.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Download Podmanager here . It is stable, drag-and-droppable, and beautiful. Totally worth it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ttfanttfan Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thedustin

Download Podmanager here . It is stable, drag-and-droppable, and beautiful. Totally worth it.

Thank you. I'll give it a try.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

can you do the command line hacks through DOS as well?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    It would really make sense if the iPod supported the computer authorization like iTMS AAC files do.... If I can legally put the songs on 3 computers, why doesn't the iPod support it.

Now, I realize that the iPod's piracy protection was in place before iTMS, so it could be a pain to change that... but it really should be consistent... At least it would be nice \