How my new moniter came er... kinda...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm currently on hold with Apple... Who woulda thought that a non tech support call would have taken this much time! JESUS!

Annnyways... My new 20" LCD came today ahead of my G5. There is a bit of a problem, well I guess a picture tells 1000 words!

LOOK at this thing:

http://homepage.mac.com/dareverandcu...toAlbum15.html

Is this typical? What should I do? Comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Okay, THAT clinches it. Screw mail order. I'm driving down to Atlanta to get mine.

• Reply 2 of 27
    Who shipped that UPS, FedEx?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Did you take the monitor out?

Definately send it back...hell, if FedEx (or whomever delivered it) had the nerve to show up at my door with that, I would refuse delivery and explain why.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    It was Fed Ex...

I was not the one who accepted it unfortunately. : P

I'm going to run it over to the local Apple Store and have them give it a looksies.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    That's nothing.

When I ordered my PowerBook a few years back, I was going to be out of town during the delivery date. So I gave FedEx the address to my father's work. Everyone there knows me and I trusted the secretary enough to let her accept my delivery when it showed.

I get home and call his work. No package. I check my online order status, and it says "Delivered". I call his work again, they insist no delivery was made. I call FedEx and they insist the package was delivered...

As it turns out, the FedEx deliver guy was having trouble finding my dad's work, and dropped the package off at an entirely different building about 1/4 mile away. My dad's place of business is called Kurz-Kasch, and they dropped it off at a Ryder Truck facility! WTF!? The box just sat in this other place for 4 days for anyone to open and steal if they pleased.

And FedEx even refused to reimburse me for my shipping costs after it was all taken care of.

To paraphrase a line from a truly classic movie:

"[FedEx] can die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie?"
  • Reply 6 of 27
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You know, with You know, with technology it ether works or it doesn't. Yea I'd be worried about it too, but I would plug it in and check for scratchesn before I make a decision. Just make sure everything works and if it does you'll be fine.

That is what a box and padding is for! To protect the contents.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    when i orderd my qs 867, i waited all damn day for it to come, always being told it was in transit, not knowing where the hell it was except somewhere between the hub and my house. finaly, a little after 5pm, my neighbor who lives down the street that just got home from work at the bank called me and asked if i was expecting a computer or something to be deliverd to me that day. The dummass driver just left it on her porch, didnt even mark it delivered, and just drove off. a 2000$ machine, simply left there, no sig, no marked delivery. What The Fµck??

i wish apple would allow people to choose their shipping company, i have had so much shitty luck w/ fedex its not funny anymore.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

That's nothing.

When I ordered my PowerBook a few years back, I was going to be out of town during the delivery date. So I gave FedEx the address to my father's work. Everyone there knows me and I trusted the secretary enough to let her accept my delivery when it showed.

I get home and call his work. No package. I check my online order status, and it says "Delivered". I call his work again, they insist no delivery was made. I call FedEx and they insist the package was delivered...

As it turns out, the FedEx deliver guy was having trouble finding my dad's work, and dropped the package off at an entirely different building about 1/4 mile away. My dad's place of business is called Kurz-Kasch, and they dropped it off at a Ryder Truck facility! WTF!? The box just sat in this other place for 4 days for anyone to open and steal if they pleased.

And FedEx even refused to reimburse me for my shipping costs after it was all taken care of.

To paraphrase a line from a truly classic movie:

"[FedEx] can die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie?"

What movie is that from?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    The Sound of Music?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Wow, that's terrible. I never would have accepted it... too bad it wasn't you at the door.

Ebby, he couldn't have tried it out - the G5 hadn't arrived yet. I don't think I'd take a chance on a smashed up box like that.

Of course, I'd also be taking into account my ability to sell it on eBay - having decent original packaging helps alot.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Yea, the G5 didn't arrive yet, but he was still going to an apple store. Where there's a will there's a way.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    I think Airborne is the only good bunch out there. I'm sitting here right now waiting for UPS to drop off a phone. It was supposed to be here 3 hours ago, and they can't even tell me if it's going to get delivered today. Fedex has always been a cut above UPS for me, but Airborne has never given me trouble.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

FedEx will only reimburse the shipper, so you have to go through them if you want a refund under these circumstances.

Anyway, i've had consistently great service with FedEx over many years, but I have to say that is one beat-up Cinema Display box!

-- Mark
  • Reply 14 of 27
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    My condolences on your loss.

Sadly, Fed Ex is the best shipping service that is out there. Better than UPS, and a world better than Airborne express. USPS? Don't make me laugh. I wish that you could pay some extra money and say that certain packages are packages that:

Require a signature to be dropped off of either the recipient/spouse/appartment manager

Must be handled with care

The deliverer will give a phone call when the he is about 15 minutes away from delivery

Give the recipient a time window for when their package will be dropped off

Having worked in the mail order industry (ClubMac), I would say that quite a few people would pay extra money for this. BTW, FedEx knows precisely when they are going to be delivering a package to within about 15 minutes (a byproduct of finding the best route for their delivery men is that they know when and where their delivery men are at a given time)
  • Reply 15 of 27
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Mother of God! Worst. Delivery. Evar.

Quote:

Originally posted by Sith

I think Airborne is the only good bunch out there. I'm sitting here right now waiting for UPS to drop off a phone. It was supposed to be here 3 hours ago, and they can't even tell me if it's going to get delivered today. Fedex has always been a cut above UPS for me, but Airborne has never given me trouble.

Um, no, most certainly not. However, this discussion lends to my theory that it's not necessarily per company but per region or the hiring practices of individual centers.

A few years back my original rev. A Airport Base Station got hit by the Blinking Lights of Death Syndrome nine months into its one year warranty. So I called and Apple sent a replacement via AE. It was delivered into the vapor. I mean gone. The status was delivered but they couldn't prove anyone had signed off on it. Apple had to send me another one (after an initial incredulous, "Well we're not going to send you another one." "Um yeah, love, yeah you are..." Solved).

I have received other boxes via UPS that look like they were used in a rugby match.

So it's all of them and none them. It's really the knobheads they hire.

Screed
  • Reply 16 of 27
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Um, no, most certainly not. However, this discussion lends to my theory that it's not necessarily per company but per region or the hiring practices of individual centers.

It is most certainly about the delivery centers. I love in the SO Cal area and our delivery from Fed EX is pretty good. Pretty stupid, but pretty good. For example, they left my roommates copy of Office X on our doorstep. They could have left it with the apartment manager who signs for all this stuff, but no, they leave it on the doorstep. On the bright side, at least they took the iPod to the manager to sign for.

It is totally location based. Some shippers are good, some are bad. I had customers who swore by airborne express for their local area and who had horrible experiences with Fed Ex.

In general:

Never ship things by ground

The more money you pay for shipment, the more likely you are to get it whole.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Something not unlike that happened this week when I ordered a new pen from Levenger's. When it arrived, the box looked like this.

We've been having horrible trouble with UPS and FedEx. Packages are arriving crushed and even opened.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Wow, now that is a crushed box. It looks like it almost folded in half. But how big of a box do you really need for a pen.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

As it turns out, the FedEx deliver guy was having trouble finding my dad's work, and dropped the package off at an entirely different building about 1/4 mile away.

My girlfriend ordered a laptop from Gateway. They delivered it to a computer store 4 miles away from her apartment.

??
  • Reply 20 of 27
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Wow, now that is a crushed box. It looks like it almost folded in half. But how big of a box do you really need for a pen.

I'm just glad the box was as big as it was. My pen was safe and sound inside. But the box looked like an elephant had sat on it.

Meanwhile, my Radeon 9000 Pro arrived today via fedex just fine. Go figure.