Does the iPod battery wear down after a while?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have read about this concern in several places. The concern is that batteries used in digital devices wear down after a period of time and the amount of time they work for goes down after being recharged so much.

The problem with the iPod is that you can't buy a new battery, b/c it's internal. Has anyone had this experience with their iPod? Does the battery performance go down after a while? Does anyone know if Apple will make an iPod with a battery that can be replaced?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I have one of the original 5gb iPods and it is still running strong. I easially get 2+ hours of life. I bet I could get more than 2 hours, but that is all I need at one time.

I think that one of the 'secrets' is to make sure that you never run the battery down to nothing.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Wasn't the original battery life advertised around 10 hours? I'd say that 2.5 is quite a degradation in capacity.

The internal battery is easily the worst aspect of the iPod. While it may make the size possible, it is the most likely the component most prone to failure (though it happens gradually)

Two AAA cells would have extended the iPod's usable life. Apple could ship the iPod with a li-ion cell that fits a dual AAA format. Then, when that battery no longer holds charge, you could then start using two Alkalines, or buy another cell that charges in the iPod (just like their proprietary cell now does).

As it stands now, when your iPod battery no longer holds charge, you're fvcked.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    So is there anyway to prolong the life of it?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

So is there anyway to prolong the life of it?

Yo. LINKAGE
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    And there's also this. Sure, it's kind of big and bulky, but if your iPod's battery dies and it's out of warranty, you can still use it. It only works with the third generation ones though.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

http://www.ipodbattery.com/

Thanks, but does Apple endorse that product? It seems like if you take your iPod apart to try to install this and it gets messed up in the process, then your waranty doesn't cover it anymore and you're screwed.

Does this thing really work?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    If your battery is dead before the warranty has expired, you don't need to buy this, because you can get Apple to fix the battery, I would expect.

If your battery is dead after the warranty has expired, there's nothing to lose.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by tchwojko

If your battery is dead before the warranty has expired, you don't need to buy this, because you can get Apple to fix the battery, I would expect.

If your battery is dead after the warranty has expired, there's nothing to lose.

I don't have one, I'm just thinking of buying one and looking at my options.

BTW, how long is the iPod's waranty?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    One year. No extended warranty is offered by Apple but I think CompUSA or some other places might offer one.