Mot blows yet another deadline

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There's a withering article in the Chicago Sun-Times [attr: MacSurfer] about Mot's latest flub: Not getting camera phones to two customers (Verizon and Cingular) in time for the Christmas shopping season. The article contains too many gems to quote, but these two stand out.

First, Verizon vs. Motorola:

Quote:

Jim Gerace, spokesman for Bedminster, N.J.-based Verizon Wireless, said: "Motorola has missed an opportunity to sell camera phones during the busy holiday season."

He said it is "premature" to say whether a Motorola cam phone will ever be sold by Verizon. "We have to get our hands on the phone, and put it through our testing process," he said.

Buddendeck said Motorola has "a great relationship with Verizon." The company developed a phone with the push-to-talk feature for Verizon, putting at risk its longtime relationship with Nextel for which it had originally developed such technology. Buddendeck said the Verizon models are "selling like hotcakes."

Second, proof that Motorola President and COO Mike Zafirovski should not take over for Chris Galvin:

Quote:

"While we are encountering some variation in our introduction of certain new models, we believe [the Motorola cellphone unit] is making strong progress overall in its ability to meet market needs by working closely with customers all over the world and successfully testing and launching new products in a timely fashion throughout the year."

"Encountering some variation in our introduction of certain new models?" I don't know whether to laugh or cry. You blew a promised introduction, shooting both yourself and a large customer in the foot is what you did. If you can't own up to that without spinning like a quasar, you're just going to run the company even farther into the ground.

I really try to keep a positive outlook on Motorola, because they're a great old company and because they're strategically important to Apple, but this kind of thing makes it awfully hard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The glory day of Moto is over. Time for ALL Moto's customers to LEAVE!

I for one will never buy anything with Moto stuff. My next Mac will not be using Moto chips...my next cell phone will never be Moto anymore
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

The glory day of Moto is over. Time for ALL Moto's customers to LEAVE!

I for one will never buy anything with Moto stuff. My next Mac will not be using Moto chips...my next cell phone will never be Moto anymore

Wanna bet?

I bet if you rip any number of electronic devices in your house apart you will find moto chips.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Including your IBM-powered Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Wanna bet?

I bet if you rip any number of electronic devices in your house apart you will find moto chips.

I don't have many electronic stuff at my place
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Dude, your cable/DSL modem has moto chips in it.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    and your standard PowerMac has parts from Intel in it?just btw.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

and your standard PowerMac has parts from Intel in it?just btw.

Defiant that is unrelated and wildly inappropriate
  • Reply 8 of 9
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Don't forget the AMD components in Macs .
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Dude, your cable/DSL modem has moto chips in it.

That modem is my landlord's not mine