Buying Advice: Displays

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know my Dual G5 isn't going to get here for a few more years-err weeks, but I thought I'd get a move on with deciding what display I should get.

I'll be using my system for heavy reading (web, email, etc.), heavy 3D and Photoshop stuff, heavy gaming, HTML, and a perhaps some light DVD watching.

I want the display to be at least 20", an LCD and under $1,400 (USD). And please, no Squintronics? displays.

Currently I am looking at the 20" Cinema Display with an educational discount for $1,169 and the NEC MultiSync LCD2080UX for ~$1,300.

I really like the idea of a wide screen display. But I don't like the idea of some of some of my favorite games being stretched (*cough*StarCraftDiabloII*cough*) and I don't know how much I'm really going to make use of the widescreen. Than again, the viewable area of the 20" Cinema (when I've looked at in stores) seems so much bigger than what I imagine the viewable area of a 20" 4:3 screen is going to be. I also like the idea of having just one cord for my monitor.

Are there any displays that I've over looked (something in a widescreen format)? Maybe an option that I've missed completely? Are there any obvious flaws in 4:3 or 16:10?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    There is the Formac Gallery 2100 Platinum.

Part-No. Platinum: FGD 2010-1 (DVI+ADC), Oxygen: FWD2010-1 (DVI)

Interface: Formac Display Connector (DVI and ADC) / Cable: 5' and 1"

Size: 20,1 inch diagonal (viewable) / Screen: W: 16.3" H: 12"

Technology: 24-bit ColorProof VA active matrix (16.7 million colors)

Resolutions: 1,600 by 1,200, 1,024 by 768, 800 by 600

Dot pitch: 0.255 mm

Viewing Angle: 170 degrees horizontal / 170 degrees vertical / 160 degrees conical

Brightness: 250 cd/m2

Contrast Ratio: 600:1

2 Choices...one ADC + DVI: $1399/ Just DVI: $999

www.formac.com
  • Reply 2 of 10
    And the contrast ratio is much higher than Apples (Apples is 350:1). IF it really performs that well, it makes a huge difference if you do a lot of reading from the screen. Higher contrast ratio is much easier on your eyes when trying to read text for extended periods.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I cut out some pieces of card board to get an idea of the (physical) screen sizes, and I think I'll be going with a 20" 4:3 aspect ratio.

The Formac is looking better and better to me. Although, I was thinking about mounting my monitor on arm so the thin bezel of the NEC would make a nice floating display. On the other hand, the Formac does look pretty cool even when it's floating, and it has better specs.

Also, I cannot for the life of me figure out what the schmeg the ISO 13406-2 standard means. Can anyone else figure it out?

Right now it's looking like the Formac.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    No matter what people say. I will still strongly recommend the Cinema Display

Why? Because I own one!

Also....the Gallery Display's warranty.....while many parts are covered for 3 years...but the BACKLIGHT ONLY IS COVERED FOR ONE YEAR!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

No matter what people say. I will still strongly recommend the Cinema Display

Why? Because I own one!

Can't argue with a happy customer.

I don't suppose you have any games that are supposed to run in 640x480/800x600/4:3? If so, how noticeable is the stretching?

And can the resolution really only go down to 1024x640?

Oh yeah, any defective pixels (that you've noticed - don't go looking for them)?

Quote:

Also....the Gallery Display's warranty.....while many parts are covered for 3 years...but the BACKLIGHT ONLY IS COVERED FOR ONE YEAR!

Yes, I noticed that. Kind of put me off. I had also heard about bad customer support from Formac, but I just don't know what to believe anymore. \

Semi-related: does anyone know of an aesthetically pleasing display arm that can hold 18.9 lbs (the weight of a 20" Cinema Display)? All of the ones I've seen are just ugly and/or obnoxious.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

I don't suppose you have any games that are supposed to run in 640x480/800x600/4:3? If so, how noticeable is the stretching?

I haven't used the 20" Cinema, but on my dad's PowerBook G4, the screen can do a normal 4:3 resolution with black bars along the right and left sides. My dad's does 1024x768 with bars nicely, with the same sharpness as when it's at native resolution (because technically it is still at native resolution). Also he can select from a wide variety of other resolutions - 1024x768 stretched, 900x600, 800x600, 800x600 stretched, 720x480, 640x480, and 640x480 stretched. Anything that requires a 4:3 aspect ratio is no problem.

Quote:

Yes, I noticed that. Kind of put me off. I had also heard about bad customer support from Formac, but I just don't know what to believe anymore. \

I have no idea what Formac's customer support is like, but you do have to remember that Apple's warranty is one year for the ENTIRE display. So even though Formac tries to hid their skimpy backlight warranty, it's still better than Apple's warranty. The only advantage is that Apple is more up front about it, so you know they're not trying to hide anything else from you.

Quote:

Visit EVula.com | .net | .org today!

Ah, so you frequent the EV Nova forums as well? I go there off and on.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MadFax7

Can't argue with a happy customer.

And can the resolution really only go down to 1024x640?

Oh yeah, any defective pixels (that you've noticed - don't go looking for them)?

What is game? Can't find that word from my dictionary

Dead pixel....is just a pure luck. If you are lucky you may get a "perfect" display....if not......make sure to check it out at the store before you pay them your cash.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I haven't used the 20" Cinema, but on my dad's PowerBook G4, the screen can do a normal 4:3 resolution with black bars along the right and left sides. My dad's does 1024x768 with bars nicely, with the same sharpness as when it's at native resolution (because technically it is still at native resolution). Also he can select from a wide variety of other resolutions - 1024x768 stretched, 900x600, 800x600, 800x600 stretched, 720x480, 640x480, and 640x480 stretched. Anything that requires a 4:3 aspect ratio is no problem.

Yeah, I have a TiBook as well right now. I am aware that you can run with black bars - what annoys me is that some games force you to be stretched. It's not really an issue on the Titanium because it's such a little difference, but I noticed when I was at Mac World in 2002 that WarCraft III (at least the interface) looked quite stretched on the 17" iMac.

Quote:

I have no idea what Formac's customer support is like, but you do have to remember that Apple's warranty is one year for the ENTIRE display. So even though Formac tries to hid their skimpy backlight warranty, it's still better than Apple's warranty. The only advantage is that Apple is more up front about it, so you know they're not trying to hide anything else from you.

All true. Though I was thinking about getting extended AppleCare for the G5, so it might actually have a better warranty than the Formac.

Quote:

Ah, so you frequent the EV Nova forums as well? I go there off and on.

I tend to stick to the boards without the mobs of new comers, but to say I frequent Moki's forums would be an understatement.

Quote:

Dead pixel....is just a pure luck. If you are lucky you may get a "perfect" display....if not......make sure to check it out at the store before you pay them your cash.

How do I check it out at the store? Do they let you open up monitors and scrutinize them for several hours before purchase?

Anyways, I've been quite anxious about this. It's actually the only thing I'm really worried about. I'm not sure if I can live with even one dead pixel. Guess I better go dig up a good luck charm to hold while I order.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MadFax7

Yeah, I have a TiBook as well right now. I am aware that you can run with black bars - what annoys me is that some games force you to be stretched. It's not really an issue on the Titanium because it's such a little difference, but I noticed when I was at Mac World in 2002 that WarCraft III (at least the interface) looked quite stretched on the 17" iMac.

Wouldn't you be able to set the resolution on the screen BEFORE starting up the game? Also, Blizzard's Mac support seems pretty good (hell, they're one of the few game companies that includes the Mac version on the same CD as the PC one), so if they get enough requests they might fix it. Wide screen displays have been popular for Macs for 2-3 years, and they're just becoming popular for PCs now too.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Wouldn't you be able to set the resolution on the screen BEFORE starting up the game?

Well, I'll be... I never even thought about doing that. I just tried it and it worked. At least for some games - StarCraft seems to want to run in 640x480 non-stretched, but that's what I want anyways. Didn't try Diablo II.

Quote:

Also, Blizzard's Mac support seems pretty good (hell, they're one of the few game companies that includes the Mac version on the same CD as the PC one), so if they get enough requests they might fix it. Wide screen displays have been popular for Macs for 2-3 years, and they're just becoming popular for PCs now too.

Indeed. Blizzards support of their games in general is just highly commendable. I never expected an OS X patch for StarCraft, muchless 5 years after it came out for Mac. And I think WarCraft III actually supports widescreen displays - it just stretches the interface.

I also just realized I don't actually have any games other than StarCraft and Diablo II that don't "support" widescreen displays. (Except for Myth III, but MythDev has stated they're going to add support.)

Plus the 20" ACD is only 3" smaller than my TV when playing a widescreen DVD. (Not to mention the ACD is flat and it doesn't have a big purple splotch in the lower right corner!)

Now I want the Cinema Display again.