Why people line up for the Apple Stores' openings???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Everytime when those Mac sites post photos of each Apple Store's opening what I always see is the huge line up of people waiting for the door to open....some even start lining up a night before

Seriously.....I really don't get it........it's just a computer store opening.....people are going to see the things that that have seen already....

Seeing those people lining up and waiting to get in a store makes me feel kind of....hm.....

Even my favourite artists come to my town for concert I don't do the line up for the autograph or pics....

still don't get it......

If there's an Apple store opening in my area I definitely will not go there on the first day....a week later probably

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    shirts
  • Reply 2 of 24
    and posters, IIRC
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Actually, Apple hires these people to show up and make things look really exciting. Most don't buy anything. OK. That's not it. It's a communal thingee, a modern day version of a hippie get together (without the pot - for the most part) .
  • Reply 4 of 24
    wasn't there some dude who documented his waiting around for 2 days for the apple store to open up?

well...on the one hand he was waiting around with his friends, they had their laptops and multiplayer games and all that

but this dude was also set on being the first person to purchase something, so that he could have the 00000001 receipt.

I never got it either.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis Seriously.....I really don't get it........it's just a computer store opening.....people are going to see the things that that have seen already....

Are you sure about that? Speaking as someone currently living in a town with NO Mac outlets (yeah, hard to imagine, huh?), there's a real chance that TONS of people haven't "seen this stuff already". Put it this way: I'm the biggest Mac freak going and even I haven't seen the new PowerBook or an iSight in person. So I'd venture to guess that there are your more casual, non-obsessive types living in smaller, more out-of-the-way towns who've never had the opportunity to see an LCD iMac, an iPod, a TiBook, etc. Maybe, to them, this is their day. As for the other type, read my last paragraph below...

Quote:

Seeing those people lining up and waiting to get in a store makes me feel kind of....hm.....

If you ain't dating them, then so what?

Quote:

still don't get it......

Nobody said you had to. To each their own.

In any case, you should know as much - if not more - than anyone that it's more than just "a computer store". You know the kinds of feelings being a Mac user fosters.

I don't get it either, but it's probably why I drove down to the San Diego Apple Store last year on the evening Jaguar was released. I could've gone the next day or the following week. But I knew it would be a cool, party atmosphere (and it was) and I knew that, chances are, I'd be around a lot of cool, passionate people who "get it" and meet some of them and have a good time (I was and I did).

Really quite simple, L.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

wasn't there some dude who documented his waiting around for 2 days for the apple store to open up?

well...on the one hand he was waiting around with his friends, they had their laptops and multiplayer games and all that

but this dude was also set on being the first person to purchase something, so that he could have the 00000001 receipt.

I never got it either.

Yeah I notice this guy too. He seriously needs to have a girlfriend to help him to waste his time
  • Reply 7 of 24
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Openings make me wet.

I'm sorry.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    I don't get it either.

MacWorld.. sure. line up earlu in the AM for the keynote but not a store opening. OK maybe if they were giving away something of more value than a T-shirt. Say an iMac.

Also, if they are high school kids or even college kids, then hey do whatcha want i just hope thete'es a social twist to it or drugs....

MSKR
  • Reply 9 of 24
    hmm... let's see.... people who do this for the most part have two options.

1. sit inside their room/basement/cave in the dark and stare at a computer screen and giggle at internet message boards while moaning about how they are unemployed, have no life and still live with their parents all while pretending to be someone they arent on the said message board

or

2. get out of the house and go wait online for an Apple Store to open.

Leonis, you may not "understand" these people but at least it gets them out of the house.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

2. get out of the house and go wait online for an Apple Store to open...

"... [to] stare at a computer screen and giggle at internet message boards while moaning about how they are unemployed, have no life and still live with their parents all while pretending to be someone they arent on the said message board"

Been there! Done that!

But yea. For me it was the shirts. But I also met some cool people.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

It's a communal thingee, a modern day version of a hippie get together (without the pot - for the most part) .

i think i was at the wrong opening. oh well.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Hehe, I was just at the University Village opening in Seattle (in fact I am wearing the shirt now). I got there 1.5 hours early. I went for the free t-shirt (my first Apple 'threads'), the party atmosphere, and the other like minded individuals. Plus, it is fun getting high fives from 10 of the employees as you run in.

I missed the other Seattle area store opening (out of town), so I made sure to get to this one.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I lined up about 6 hours before the opening of the Glendale Galleria store, but that was the first west coast Apple Store, so it was kind of an event for me.

I even cased the location about three weeks before when rumors were posted on the 'net about it being a Apple Store location - I asked the workers what was being built and always got a "no comment".

I got tons of pictures before and during the opening and published them on my .Mac site.

That link quickly got posted on MacSurfers, so that was kind of cool, but definitely no more openings for me.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Plus, it is fun getting high fives from 10 of the employees as you run in.

I just got this mental image of these nerds running in and getting high fives
  • Reply 15 of 24
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adpowers

Plus, it is fun getting high fives from 10 of the employees as you run in.

Too bad they didn't give you any special discounts
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

I just got this mental image of these nerds running in and getting high fives

your image is deadly accurate. a couple of the customers had their powerbooks waving high in the air as well.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    I think it is just the thing that hard core MacGeeks® do, simply said.

I have been to thee Apple Store openings, two in DC area, the other SoHo.

I know I will see the same stuff I already know, but they have the computers with ALL the software on them, much better than mine. Also, I wanted to see how the SoHo store looks, how the DC stores LOOK, and...of course...get the free t-shirt... it is an event, something that we can get excited about it..

• Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Openings make me wet.

I'm sorry.

It's ok... As I see it... Hard things are easy to find at openings.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    It's where I pick up hot babes.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I get it.

Lemon Bon Bon