Networking Questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What I have/will have:

(1) 4 port + uplink port Hub

(2) Computers that need land line connections

(1) PowerBook that needs wireless

(1) D-Link Dl-624 (will order this I think)

What do I have to do to get these to all work in harmony?

I think I have to go Cable Modem --> D-Link --> Hub --> Land line Computer right?

Also I know you can't host internet games when you are behind a router, which is what this thing is so how do I set it up so I can host games?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Also I know you can't host internet games when you are behind a router, which is what this thing is so how do I set it up so I can host games?

Probably you can't. This is why NATs are bad.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Probably you can't. This is why NATs are bad.

I don't know about your particular setup, but I'd imagine that it is possible if you do some port forwarding and open the ports on your router.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I don't know about your particular setup, but I'd imagine that it is possible if you do some port forwarding and open the ports on your router.

Well I know it's possible, I just don't know how Think documentation will say that comes with it?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Well I know it's possible, I just don't know how Think documentation will say that comes with it?

Yes documentation that comes with it should tell you, basically they all now a days configure through a web browser,basically you tell it what ports go to what machine on your lan, so you could say forward port 80 to 192.168.1.105 and anyone that goes to your external IP address with a web browser would automatically go to the 105 machine on your internal network
  • Reply 5 of 17
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Port forwarding will work. You have to find all the ports for your games. UT2K3 uses 2 ports, first port 80 (web) and another game port. Quake uses one.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Do routers mess your IP no matter what? My ISP gives our two IPs and it would be more convenient to get a real IP so I don't have to do all that forwarding and then split the other one for my brothers computers.

That possible?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Do routers mess your IP no matter what? My ISP gives our two IPs and it would be more convenient to get a real IP so I don't have to do all that forwarding and then split the other one for my brothers computers.

That possible?

To the outside world, your IP does not change at all, at least due to your router. My IP - the one that's assigned from my ISP - is 209.x.x.x. As long as my DHCP lease does not renew, that's the one I'm going to have. Now, internally, your IPs will change but not often. It doesn't matter to the outside world what your internal IP is. They will get the computer that has that port mapped to it. So, I can have 2 computers set up behind a router, computer A serving web services (port 80) and computer B serving ftp stuff (port 21). Now, if I've done the port mapping correctly, going to my IP address from the outside for http requests would go to computer A and ftp request would go to computer B and the person doing the typing doesn't know the difference.

With my ABS, if I want to do port mapping, I have to manually assign my internal IP address (ABS uses IPs from 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.50 or something). Again, I'm doing nothing to the REAL IP address of my network, this is just internal. So, on my network, I've got port 80 mapped to my computer and I've given it an IP address of 10.0.1.201. If you wanted to access my website, you'd type in my IP address (209.x.x.x). Does that make any sense?

Now, you've probably got a dynamic IP address and that's where it's going to get a little tricky because it's not going to be the same all the time. You can get an ast3r3x.dyndns.org domain name and there's software that will update your current IP address on the dyndns servers automatically to get around that. I haven't done that in a while, though, so you'd have to get someone else to tell you how.

-t

ps - I realized after I typed my first 2 paragraphs that you probably meant the DHCP server "messing" with your IP address, but I wasn't going to erase it all.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Ok explain to the stupid person...

Right now I am connected with a cross over cable to my brothers G3 and he is sharing his internet connection to me. My computer says my IP is 192.168.2.4...but it isn't because others can't get to me under that IP. Now my brothers G3 assigned that to me so that when it gets information I requested I guess it sends it to that IP?

Now what will my IP look like when I am behind my router. Will I have that fake IP address that doesn't work or will I have one of the two real IPs that my ISP assigns?

Also on a kinda related note. What happens if my brothers computer and I both request information from the same server for say FTP (port 21 or whatever?) To the server doesn't it look like the same IP asking for the same thing?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Ok explain to the stupid person...

Right now I am connected with a cross over cable to my brothers G3 and he is sharing his internet connection to me. My computer says my IP is 192.168.2.4...but it isn't because others can't get to me under that IP. Now my brothers G3 assigned that to me so that when it gets information I requested I guess it sends it to that IP?

Now what will my IP look like when I am behind my router. Will I have that fake IP address that doesn't work or will I have one of the two real IPs that my ISP assigns?

Also on a kinda related note. What happens if my brothers computer and I both request information from the same server for say FTP (port 21 or whatever?) To the server doesn't it look like the same IP asking for the same thing?

What's happened is that your brother's computer is serving as DHCP server. You have a locally defined IP address. It only works on your network. If your brother were to try to get to you from his computer, it would work. OUTSIDE of that network, the IP address that your computer thinks it has has no meaning.

To get to your computer from the outside world, he'd have to do some port mapping on his computer (it's serving as the router in this case) to tell request for, say port 80, to go to your computer. People on the outside would type in your ROUTER's (your brother's computer) IP address and the ROUTER (your brother's computer), would direct traffic to your computer.

To find out what the IP address you need to give to others is go to: www.whatismyip.com . If you set up port mapping right, you should be able to do everything you want. Otherwise, no traffic AT ALL is going to make it to your computer.

edit: when connected to a router, it takes the real IP address and assigns local IP address to computers connected to it (IP addresses like 192.168.x.x 10.0.x.x are locally defined and don't work outside of the network). If you've go a router connected, unless you disable NAT, it will take the IP address. The way around it is through port mapping.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Ok I think I understand now. So I guess besides how (documentation will tell me I guess), if I want to run personal websharing and so does he...how does that work, can I even do that? If I have to map port 80 or whatever to my computer that means he can't host it?

Edit: I really should have read this CISCO book I got from my school that is sitting 5ft away from me.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Based on my experence you can only forward one port to one computer. If you have 2 FTP servers they would have to use different ports like 21 and 22. You or your brother would have to change the web sharing port on onee of your computers to something other that 80 so one computer is using port 80 and the other 88. However, anyone trying to access the web pages on port 88 will have to add ":88" to the IP address. (192.168.123.100:88 ) 192.168.123.100 would be replaced by your IP address from the www.whatismyip.com site.

EDIT: Port number turned into smilies "8)"
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Based on my experence you can only forward one port to one computer. If you have 2 FTP servers they would have to use different ports like 21 and 22. You or your brother would have to change the web sharing port on onee of your computers to something other that 80 so one computer is using port 80 and the other 88. However, anyone trying to access the web pages on port 88 will have to add ":88" to the IP address. (192.168.123.100:88 ) 192.168.123.100 would be replaced by your IP address from the www.whatismyip.com site.

EDIT: Port number turned into smilies "8)"

That's true, but there should be some way to do this via dyndns.org. I'm not sure, but one would think that they would allow that. That way if you each register your computers to dyndns.org maybe it'll work (if dyndns.org allows you specify port numbers, that is). Hmm.

edit: https://www.dyndns.org/support/kb/nat.html has some good information about all this. And it appears that there is NO WAY for the 2 of you to have the same services running at the same time.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    This works for me:

network.jpg

Ast, you said:

"I think I have to go Cable Modem --> D-Link --> Hub --> Land line Computer right?"

I think you have to go Cable Modem --> Hub --> (branch 2-ways) 1. D-Link & 2. Land line Computer.

As per my image.

Happily play XBox via Comcast cable.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

This works for me:

network.jpg

Ast, you said:

"I think I have to go Cable Modem --> D-Link --> Hub --> Land line Computer right?"

I think you have to go Cable Modem --> Hub --> (branch 2-ways) 1. D-Link & 2. Land line Computer.

As per my image.

Happily play XBox via Comcast cable.

Some OmniGraffle fun?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but before I purchase I have a simple question. If I want to have more then two computers online (two ground line based and one wireless) is using a router (NAT) the only option I have?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    The NAT will work or you could purchase more IP addresses from your ISP. Some computers can also do NAT stuff too. Look for "internet sharing" features.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

The NAT will work or you could purchase more IP addresses from your ISP. Some computers can also do NAT stuff too. Look for "internet sharing" features.

Yeah I know how to do that but I'd still have a ghetto IP. Ok thanks