Canon Digital Cameras

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Any one have one...i was looking at getting a PowerShot A70 as i read alot of good reviews from people that have it. Anyone have the A70 or any canon dig cam? Any comments? should i go for it or is there a better model/brand? Any help is welcome....that is if you give it

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I have an A40 and it is awesome. The girl I work with has an A60 I think and that is awesome as well. I like the way they set their cameras up and I never really needed too much help from the manual to figure out what things do or how to do things, so I'd say the UI is pretty well thought out.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have a Canon EOS D60. It's a SLR camera and costs a hefty penny. The only problems I had with it are the slow USB port, buggy software, and it has a real hard time focusing in low light/dark places. The D60 is not sold any more and was replaced by the Canon EOS 10D witch has the same sensor and guts as the D60 but can focus in the dark and has some other great improvements and new options.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I also have the A40 and it is freaking great. I haven't used any other digital cameras so I have nothing to compare it to but I have no complaints with the A40.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Frank,

I have a Canon A20 and a 10D. They're both great cameras, and I don't think you'll have any problems if you go with Canon.

The A70 is a very good camera, and seems to be very highly regarded in all the reviews. One thing to think about is that there is a new model coming out soon, the A80. But the A70 is a greaat camera .

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I've got an A70. I really like it.

It seemed to get really good reviews and was available for substantal discounts.

Any specific questions?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    A70 is the best n its class, its a great little thing, love mine.. I lust after a 300d tho now but no money helps stop those urges
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I have owned an A20 and now an IXUS 400 (S400 is the US). Here's what I had to say on the IXUS 400 in a post on MacNN:

Quote:

Yep I've got one. I had an A20 for 2 years and it did a fantastic job but I decided that I wanted a pocket sized camera that I could take anywhere and not know it was there. I considered the Pextax Optio S and Casio Exilim (something like that anyway). I decided on the IXUS because it was 4MP and had 3 X zoom.

Things that stood out to me when I first got it were it was faster to to use than the A20, the flash is better and the LCD is awesome. The LCD is 320 x 240 but only 1.something inches diagonal this makes it incredibly clear and detailed.

The interface is easy to use, despite the small buttons, actually it is easier to use than the A20 because most functions require less button presses. I have been surprised at how good the battery life is. I thought I would have to buy a second battery for sure but I have not found the need. I am yet to really test it though like go out sightseeing and taking pictures all day. The image quality is great, no complaints there at all. OS X support is typically built in and brilliant. The Canon software is also OS X native and quite good, especially the Panorama stitcher.

Anything else you would like to know? Oh BTW I bought a 256Mb CF card for it. Means I never have to worry about running out of space even when taking full length movies (3 min) there is plenty of room.

• Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

I've got an A70. I really like it.

It seemed to get really good reviews and was available for substantal discounts.

Any specific questions?

Yes...i hear the mirror around the LCD is a pain out side as all you can see is your self...and that battery door isn't that well made...what are your thoughts on that? is there any bad things about it? are pics clear or is there some type of pics that you take that don't come out as well as you hoped?

This is my first digital camera and so i'm a new user to this area and want the best i can get for my money.

Dave Abrey, yes i know the A80 is coming but i hear the LCD is of lesser quality as it swings out and is smaller.

Another issue i need help clearing up is if there such a big difference from 3 Mega pixels to 4 Mega Pixels? I've been told by a friend that it's only 2 inches more when you print a pic...and that doesn't look like much for the price difference out there from 3 to 4 mega pixels. I hope someone can clear this up for me.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Frank_t
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Frank,

The A80 LCD is of a lower resolution than the A70, but I don't know how much difference this will make in actual use. I guess the only way to find out is to see one in use . However, one thing to bear in mind is that the fold out ability could be useful for getting shots from odd angles (eg over peoples heads).

Regarding the 3 vs 4 MP issue, DP Review had an interesting comment about the differences in theire Canon G5 review:

DP Review Canon G5 Article

However, remember that this part was written mainly from the point of view of someone who is upgrading a camera, but I think the general points should at least be considered. Conversely, the advantage of 4 MP is that you would be able to crop your image a bit more than a 3 MP image without losing too much image quality. But having said that, a 3 MP camera can still take very good pictures.

Bottom line, I don't think you'll go wrong with the A70 .

Hope this makes sense .

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Thanks for that Dave.....from that link you posted

Resolution upgrades and if they make sense:

- Three to Four megapixels - 725,760 more pixels - 23% increase (Not worth it)

- Three to Five megapixels - 1,893,120 more pixels - 60% increase (Average)

- Four to Five megapixels - 1,167,360 more pixels - 30% increase (Not worth it)

Three to Four megapixels point i have to agree with ....sure it would help if you crop a pic to have that extra 1mp...but in the end when you look at how much more money your handing over just for 1mp more it doesn't ad up as 'worth it'

But i also guess if i go for a 3mp now the next one will have to be a 6mp to be worth it's price and value...i guess in the end if your a 3mp owner you need to be more careful when taking pics of your subject so you don't need to crop too much to get all you want.

But truth be told how many pics does one crop once they take them? %10? %20...as for sharping them up or taking out red eye...now that happens more so than cropping.

Thoughts?

Frank_t
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I just read at a few places that user's have had a error pop up with there PowerShot A70...E18 error...what does this error mean and can it be fixed?

Frank_t
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

I hear the mirror around the LCD is a pain out side as all you can see is your self...and that battery door isn't that well made...what are your thoughts on that? is there any bad things about it? are pics clear or is there some type of pics that you take that don't come out as well as you hoped?

* The mirror has never bothered me. It's only a thin border and if you're focused on the image I can't imagine it being a problem (there is also a proper viewfinder). The only thing wrong with it is the writing above the buttons can be difficult to read as it is printed white on mirror so you need a dark reflection. Having said that there are only four buttons and one is a different shape from the others so again, no real issue for me.

* The battery door did surprise me in it's erm... 'awkardness' (best word I can think of to describe it). Certainly not a dealbreaker as everything else feels very solid.

* The picture quality has been very good. The various auto settings for portraits, scenery, night shots etc. also seem to do a good job for no fuss shooting in less than perfect circumstances.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

Thanks for that Dave.....from that link you posted

Resolution upgrades and if they make sense:

- Three to Four megapixels - 725,760 more pixels - 23% increase (Not worth it)

- Three to Five megapixels - 1,893,120 more pixels - 60% increase (Average)

- Four to Five megapixels - 1,167,360 more pixels - 30% increase (Not worth it)

Three to Four megapixels point i have to agree with ....sure it would help if you crop a pic to have that extra 1mp...but in the end when you look at how much more money your handing over just for 1mp more it doesn't ad up as 'worth it'

But i also guess if i go for a 3mp now the next one will have to be a 6mp to be worth it's price and value...i guess in the end if your a 3mp owner you need to be more careful when taking pics of your subject so you don't need to crop too much to get all you want.

But truth be told how many pics does one crop once they take them? %10? %20...as for sharping them up or taking out red eye...now that happens more so than cropping.

Thoughts?

Frank_t

Frank,

I don't think you'll be dissapointed with the A70 . It should last you a few years, so that when you come to upgrade, those 6MP cameras will have come down a lot in price .

I don't do a lot of cropping with my images, but I do occasionaly feel the need - my compositional eye isn't that good, so I often end up with something in the frame that shouldn't be there .

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Can someone tell me what this E18 error is all about?

Does it have to do with the memory card you use? or is it random?

Frank_t
  • Reply 15 of 16
    According to this thread:

http://www.greenspun.com/com/imaging...S100/S100A.HTM

It has something to do with the lense retracting.

Never seen it myself but seems to span the entire Canon range. Considering how many cameras they sell I'm not sure if this is a big problem statistically or not.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Hmm...i hope it's not something that will pop up after the warranty finish's \

I know the A80 is coming but that is 4mp...what is the next 3mp canon cam after the A70? the A75? Hmmm....i'm buying in December so i got time to see updates :-)

Frank_t