"News Comments" is on top? yuck!

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Now, come on, why is the new "News Comments" on top above Future Hardware, yuck! YUCK! YUCK!!!!!!!! but it below the "Suggestions" .... yucK!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

Now, come on, why is the new "News Comments" on top above Future Hardware, yuck! YUCK! YUCK!!!!!!!! but it below the "Suggestions" .... yucK!!!!!!!!

Agreed.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I'm gonna tell yous where to sick it!

In the middle...
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Couldn't you guys have created another forum inside the "Suggestions" one, inside creating a whole separate one?

Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

we are open to feature suggestions. Please post them here or in the suggestions forum.

So what is the point of the News Comments one if people are directed to post at both forums?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I just noticed that the only link to appleinsider.com is at the bottom of the page. Maybe it should be added to the top.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I just noticed that the only link to appleinsider.com is at the bottom of the page.

Did you miss this one?

• Reply 6 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I realize that it's a significant change to have a forum up above Future Hardware, but it reflects a significant change in AppleInsider: We not only have an active front page again, but we have a direct link to the forums that we've never had in the form of the News Comments forum.

So the obvious thing to do, given such a close link, is to make it prominent. After all, the idea is that people reading the articles will come here to discuss them, and people who lurk in the forums will read the articles. If you think about it this way, it's kind of silly to come to the AI Forums after reading an AI article and find the news comments section down near the bottom! The organization before - which is still intact and which will remain intact, except for being shifted down by one - emphasized the AI Forums as essentially autonomous, which made sense when they were.

I'm excited about this. It's a whole new chapter in the AI forums. I know it'll take some getting used to, but it's right up top there because it's a significant change, and those have to be made boldly.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I like it. Nice work peeps.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    How about an Insider forum? You know, where we make cracks about how the mods look funny?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Why not just have a new auto-thread in the proper forum. In the case of the "Apple Continues to Tweak Interface in Panther Builds 7B80, 7B81" have the auto-thread in the Mac OS X forum. Make this new thread a "Sticky" thread so it's always at the top. Also, include a link at the bottom of the artical that leads the reader directly to the thread.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    i dont know just how dirty vB is, but is it possible for users to order the forums and save the order in their profile. i dont frequent future hardware often, so i'd prefer it lower in the list, and yet i realize that many people here do go there often.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Ummm, we're a good ways from being able to offer that kind of flexibility.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Ummm, we're a good ways from being able to offer that kind of flexibility.

hmm, that sounds like a challenge. by any chance are you guys willing to offer up the source code so that an independant coder could possibly implement such a thing, and throw you back the changes? i'd be willing to have a try at it, and i'll offer my assurances that i won't do anything evil.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I think it's cool and all having it on top, I just think it should also be added to the bottom in the footer with the rest of the forums.

• Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

by any chance are you guys willing to offer up the source code so that an independant coder could possibly implement such a thing, and throw you back the changes?

No. We cannot do that because vB is not open source. It is a commercial product.

See here: http://www.vbulletin.com/
  • Reply 15 of 17
    bah!

test....
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I just noticed that too.. I thought noone posted on the "future hardware".. then I realized that I clicked on the "News Comments" room
  • Reply 17 of 17
    also, you might want to turn off the image upload option in "News Comments" ...right?