Anti-aliasing turned off

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So there's that trick to just manually edit the .GlobalPreferences.plist file in your ~/Library/Preferences/ folder: set the Anti-Aliasing threshold to something higher than usual - like 22. It works for almost everything. Menubar, Dock, _most_ Carbon apps like the Finder, X11's quartz-wm...

...but why not Cocoa? It looks like Cocoa disregards OS X's anti-aliasing setting for its UI elements (including the titlebar). And why not iTunes, either?

I smell inconsistency.

Oh and... Aqua is ugly when it isn't anti-aliased. As in, really ugly. I think it must be Quartz's fault, or rather, DisplayPDF's: PDF was always meant to anti-alias anything (IIRC), so it doesn't work well with pixelized stuff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

So there's that trick to just manually edit the .GlobalPreferences.plist file in your ~/Library/Preferences/ folder: set the Anti-Aliasing threshold to something higher than usual - like 22. It works for almost everything. Menubar, Dock, _most_ Carbon apps like the Finder, X11's quartz-wm...

...but why not Cocoa? It looks like Cocoa disregards OS X's anti-aliasing setting for its UI elements (including the titlebar). And why not iTunes, either?

I smell inconsistency.

Oh and... Aqua is ugly when it isn't anti-aliased. As in, really ugly. I think it must be Quartz's fault, or rather, DisplayPDF's: PDF was always meant to anti-alias anything (IIRC), so it doesn't work well with pixelized stuff.

i've been trying to switch off the accursed anti-aliasing as, for me, it renders osx practically unusable. i cannot find the item you refer to in the /Library/Preferences/ folder. how come?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    - not /Library/Preferences, but ~/Library/Preferences (i.e., not at the root dir, but at the home dir)

- it's a dot file, i.e. it's invisible in the Finder