Automotive question. (don't bother reading unless you are a 'car person')

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi, on the way to work today I pushed one of my cars (92 Ford Taurus) harder then usual to merge with traffic (almost flooring it). I didn't notice anything till I got to work. At the last traffic light near my office I saw a light trickle of white smoke coming out of the driver side of the hood. I thought it was the exhaust from the car infront of my coming up through my car. Well... to make a long story short. I got to the office and it was still there. Now I had just driven through a large puddle on the ground and thought it might be steam. (*not sure if it is or not). I opened the hood and it smells kinda... sweet (if that makes any sense). In any case I didn't see water 'everywhere', in fact there WAS moisture toward the center of the engine in an area which I would say is just slightly off center in the direction of the battery in the bottom right.

Code:

diagram:

---------------------------

| |

| |

| |

| here |

| |

| |

---------------------------

(liquid/fluid where the 'here' is.)

It is rather close to the air filter (to the left and below). I am not *too* worried since I got to work alright, but am I going to walk out at 5 o'clock to a dead car? Does this sound like a broken something or likely just some water which splashed up from the puddle? (is there anyway to be sure?)

Thanks for your help guys, I know SOMEBODY out there must have some experience like this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Ut oh.

Normally I'd say your radiator or hose was leaking but based on the location I'm going to say your cracked, popped, somethinged an engine part that's now allowing the cooling to leak. If there's nothing funny coming out the tailpipe you can limp it to the shop at the end of the day but I wouldn't put more miles on than that. Could be a cheap fix or a death sentence.

Oh that sweet smell is the anti-freeze. It does taste sweet which is why cats drink it up. Poor kitties.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    sound like one of your radiator hoses or heater hoses has a leak. The hoses can rupture under hard acceleration from the pressure being built from:

high revs of the water pump and/ or the higher temps the engine creates under a load.

check near the ends of the hoses (near the clamps) that is usually where they wear through first, sometimes you can just trim the end of the hose

off and reattach it to its mount. Be careful though, heating/cooling systems are under high pressure when the engine is hot and can severely scald you if you get sprayed. The work on them should be done when the engine has sufficiently cooled.

worse case could be the radiator itself is leaking or the waterpump has blown a seal. either of those will cost much more to repair than a bad hose.

Best advise, take it to a pro. Good Luck, Randy
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Thanks guys. I'll take a look at it at lunch time, and then decide if I want to 'risk' the ride home on the interstate. (which usually takes about an hour, maybe less) I'll try to figure out where the fluid is coming from.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Definitely sounds like radiator fluid. It usually has a greenish tint to it (although in a '92, it may be just rusty. ,) is quite slick to the touch, and has that sweet smell.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    If your engine is a V6, then it could also be a blown manifold. Ford's V6 engines (and most of its SOHC 4.6L V8's) have issue with manifolds (intake I believe, its too early to do any serious thinking) blowing which allows anti-freeze to leak externally AND into the engine.

This is a known quality control issue with Ford (using cheap plastic parts). Ford refuses to do anything about it.

Oh course, it could just be a cracked hose.

Whatever you do, don't take it to a Ford dealer. More than likely, they will give you the big shaft with no lube (and not even a reach around). I have a Ford, so I've seen what the dealers can do
  • Reply 6 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

sound like one of your radiator hoses or heater hoses has a leak. The hoses can rupture under hard acceleration from the pressure being built from:

high revs of the water pump and/ or the higher temps the engine creates under a load.

check near the ends of the hoses (near the clamps) that is usually where they wear through first, sometimes you can just trim the end of the hose

off and reattach it to its mount. Be careful though, heating/cooling systems are under high pressure when the engine is hot and can severely scald you if you get sprayed. The work on them should be done when the engine has sufficiently cooled.

worse case could be the radiator itself is leaking or the waterpump has blown a seal. either of those will cost much more to repair than a bad hose.

Best advise, take it to a pro. Good Luck, Randy

It could also be a broken thermostat, which could also allow the radiator to overheat.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Who would have thunk a bunch of 'computer geeks' were so car savy? I really appreciate these comments. The laser printer @ work is printing out all your comments and I'm also printing some automotive website stuff too...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Here is a list of recalls and service bulletins for your car:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/921912_en.html

just pick which engine you have. Beware, it's a pretty extensive list.

you can also go to the NHTSA web site for more info. click on recalls or service bulletins database and enter the requested info.

I was a car nut long before I became a Geek

Good luck
  • Reply 9 of 15
    from what you describe though, i'd guess it's just a pinhole leak in one of the hoses. probably spraying on the engine, hence the smoke. problem is it will get bigger rapidly, and eventually the hose will flat-out burst and you'll see a cloud of white smoke.

get it fixed ASAP.

(oh, and let us know what it really is when all is said and done.)
  • Reply 10 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It's too far back in the engine to be a hose IMO. Fill up gallon jug or three and try to drive home. If the temp shoots up ... give up.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    OTOH, if the temp *doesn't* rise *at all*, stop the car. Nasty trick - the temp gauge is measuring the coolant temp at a point in the piping.

If that part of the piping isn't getting flow due to low fluid levels, etc, you can have a low temp reading but cook the engine quickly.

Urk. Would someone else please explain this more clearly? I'm not thinking straight right now.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

It's too far back in the engine to be a hose IMO. Fill up gallon jug or three and try to drive home. If the temp shoots up ... give up.

It could be a heater hose springing a leak or with a loosening clamp. That happened to me once where it was just in the right position to aim spray on a nearby exhaust shield, which resulting on whiffs of white steam.

Not Unlike Myself,

I still wouldn't discount the more serious explanations given further above, however. Head gasket repair won't make your pocket book happy. Another check you can do is to take a look at the coolant level where you fill. Is it low? If so, fill it up before you take off (or don't go too far while you stop somewhere to pick up a bottle of water/coolant).

Also look at the appearance of the fluid. Clean green should be promising. Rusty means you should get a flush. If you see oil drops/globs or oily, white foam, that's a bad sign.

Now check your oil on the dipstick. If you see water drops or oily, white foam deposit, that will be a bad sign, too.

In addition to all that, a blown head gasket may also manifest itself as a newly appearing overheating problem.

Good luck, though (hopefully it is just a hose you can tape up until you get it replaced). I'd be very careful/cautious if you go ahead with that 1 hr hwy trip.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i'd guess it's just a pinhole leak in one of the hoses. probably spraying on the engine, hence the smoke.

Problem Solved!

BANG ON MATE! Good call! I took it to the shop yesterday afternoon. Pinhole in a hose, but when they did a pressure check they discovered a leak in the radiator also. In any case, thanks for your help guys. Almost $500 later I have new hoses, a new radiator, a new thermostat and a new 'heater hose' (whatever that is).

Gracias Amigos!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I agree with everyone else on it being a leak in the hose. There's always the chance that there's a leak in your radiator, or in the worst case, if white smoke comes from your tailpipe then it would be a cracked head gasket.