Dell's "free" memory upgrade....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok so im watching cable tv ^^ (just got it last week or so) and I see a TV ad for dells 499.99(after main in rebate) computer. and there saying that it comes with a "free" memory upgrade. now get this the "free" upgrade is from 128 memory to 256. LOL!!! I mean come on...

128mb of memory on a computer these days is outdated...

thats not even the worst part... the worst is that people who know nothing about computers will see that tv ad and think "wow a free upgrade 128 must be standerd and not for free im gettin 256".

and of course when they end this offer thell start having 256 as standerd..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Ahum....

(just in case the link doesn't work: this is the apple store page for the eMac, Apple's main competitor on the ultra low-end: 2 lower models sport 128 MB of SDRAM, and I wish I could capitalize those capitals, but alas).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wireless

I mean come on...

128mb of memory on a computer these days is outdated...

Uhm, Apple is not bundling more memory in a computer that cost about twice as much as the Dell computer. Apple got a long history of selling computers with so little RAM they wont be able to run the next OS revision.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by blabla

Uhm, Apple is not bundling more memory in a computer that cost about twice as much as the Dell computer. Apple got a long history of selling computers with so little RAM they wont be able to run the next OS revision.

lol lets take a look at the RAM offerings...

Power Books: 12" 256mb, 15" 512mb, and the 17" 512mb

iBooks: 128mb, 128mb, 256mb

iMacs: 15" 256mb and the 17" has 256mb

eMacs: 128mb, 128mb , 256mb

PowerMac G4s: 256mb, 256mb, 512mb

PowerMac G5s: 256mb, 512mb, 512mb

So basicly.... apples RAM on consumer models is horrible while there pro models come with the ammount that should be on the consumer models...

But the iMac comes with a resonable amount of ram, but NOT for the price.

The line ups that they just updated have a resonable amount of ram.

Just give them time to update the eMac and iBook

But really all I was stating is that there making something look better then it really is.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Are they charging a professional installation fee ?