I can hear my G5 processors!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

. (Creating a compression envelope around the higher frequencies.)

?

Thats sounds very trekky

However i just pick up one of my g5 at my reseller the 1,6. He is just next to my G4 533. And you canno' t hear the 1,6 while the G4 is on.

The difference of noise level between this two machines is amazing.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Hi, I have the same problem. Apparently downloading something called CHUD (Computer Hardware Understanding Development) Tools can help. It installs a control panel called Hardware which lets you turn off processor napping. This apparently fixes the problem. I haven't tried it yet tho. Will report back later.

I found this at:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/7

The link to the tools is:

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_C..._3.0.0.dmg.bin

(You'll probably need to FTP there and navigate manually to the directory).

tM
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Mactivist

This apparently fixes the problem. I haven't tried it yet tho. Will report back later.

So I came home for lunch and installed it. It has fixed the problem completely. Very quiet now.

YAY!

tM
  • Reply 24 of 35
    This thing is driving me nuts.

On top of the "heart rate monitor"-like beeping sound, I get another that sounds like a high pitched disk access while I'm dragging windows or scrolling in a browser.

I will download the CHUD tools tonight and hpefully get rid of the "beeping".

Also, whenever you do anything that requires a lot of processor power, the fans howl. All in all, this thing is not as quiet as I thought it would be.

Looks like it's going to have to go under the desk.

Disappointing!
  • Reply 25 of 35
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    you're a very talented whiner indeed

I compared the G5 to a MDD in a local store.

The MDD was audible in the whole store

the G5 was not, even in the closest vicinity.

I think you have never experienced an MDD, if you think the G5 is loud.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

you're a very talented whiner indeed

I compared the G5 to a MDD in a local store.

The MDD was audible in the whole store

the G5 was not, even in the closest vicinity.

I think you have never experienced an MDD, if you think the G5 is loud.

Whiner maybe. But talented whiner?

I guess I haven't heard one of the loud MDDs. We have a dual 1.42 at work and it's not that bad.

Going from my dual 1 ghz Quicksilver to this is very different though.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    My Ti's Hard Drive is louder than the G5 when its just running. Haven't compared G5 super blower mode or my Ti w/ fan noise.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    What I want to know is do ALL G5's make this noise? If not why only some of them, and why is the solution a software one when they are all running 10.2.7?

I am willing to install thee CHUD once someone at Apple tells me it is an official, supported fix for the problem. Before that, I shouldn't have to do ANYTHING to my new G5, for what it cost. It ought to be perfect (or officially fixed to perfect by Apple) out of the box. I'll wait on installing CHUD.

Besides, what happens when 10.3 comes out? CHUD for 10.3 is the new solution?
  • Reply 29 of 35
    you are definitely not alone. I too have the same problem. I can live with it, but it would be nice to get rid of the cricket noises in my computer. I'm with you on waiting to install CHUD. A fix in Panther would be sweeeet... (so would a discount on the upgrade )

Any geeks, ahem, knowledgable techies out there wanna tell us what disabling Napping via CHUD really does to the computer??

thanks.

(btw: dual G5 1GB Apple RAM)
  • Reply 30 of 35
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    supposedly it just disabled the CPUs ability to go into some kind of "idle" mode. that most likely means that disabling it means it's fed with 0-ops all the time instead of napping.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    I think Apple will offer those who got G5s within 30 days of Panther's release the usual Up-to-Date options ($20 shipping and handling for a "free" upgrade to 10.3).

If Panther ships around Oct 24, it's cake (with thick chocolate icing).

yummm
  • Reply 32 of 35
    CHUD worked for me too. Fans a spinning slightly faster, but the white noise of the fan is so much better than the beeping.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Yah, thanks everyone for the CHUD tools, now my machine is MUCH quiter! The fans may kick up just a little, but it's much better sounding than a constant chirp!
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by twinturbo

Yah, thanks everyone for the CHUD tools, now my machine is MUCH quiter! The fans may kick up just a little, but it's much better sounding than a constant chirp!

I'm kind of mystified about why this is causing so much trouble for people. Is it because everyone's putting this computer on top of their desks rather than underneath? I have a few computers and they all sound like deafening rattles compared to the G5.

Thing is, I got one of these:

http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/fire.asp

It makes a chirping sound that's louder than all the G5 noises put together, and it has NO MOVING PARTS.

Huh.

-- Mark
  • Reply 35 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Personally, I think the Energy Saver "Automatic/Highest" speed setting should be impacting this NAP feature but for some reason on the new hardware I think there is a disconnect. Perhaps in Panther the Highest speed setting will disable napping.