Pixlet (split from Panther Discussion)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

when apple says 6GB of video, they are talking about something like 2 minutes of very high quality video. 3MB/s would still make for a movie that is over 10GB in size. Sorry for the dashed hopes, folks.

Yeah, but it would shrink a DVD to a very palatable size: less than 500 MB.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    No, it wouldn't. Pixlet is larger than DVD-quality MPEG2 video. It compresses UNCOMPRESSED video to 20 or 25 times the original size, as opposed to 60 or 70 times on DVDs.

But it's WAY better quality.

Barto
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I've yet to see MPEG2 or MPEG4 video without artifacts.

Barto

Well in a sense of course you are correct. But it depends on what you mean by artifacts. If you look at the uncompressed original and then the Mpeg you can mostly see a difference, but if you only see the Mpeg, it's hard to pick out the details that are wrong. Any good compressor leaves no compression squares, motion lags, etc... it also depend on your palyback hardware. Many cheap Mpeg 2 chips found in cheap DVD players show compression squares when the DVD is scratched, this is the fault of that chip. I guess it's a bit like saying you never listened to an mp3 or acc that sounded as good as the CD no matter the bitrate. and since the compression is lossy you are probably right, but if it has a high enough bit rate and encoded and decoded well, you need a studio grade system to tell them apart. The issue is that most mp3s/Mpeg2/4 is compressed to a smaller bit rate than unnoticeable to save file size. The expection are few well encoded DVDs. Maybe you just see better than i do. So it's possible to create Mpeg footage where i can't see the artifacts, I've done this. But almost all the encoded things you'll see are at lower bitrates becuase of downloadtime or decompression overhead. perhaps you just see better than I do.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Why is Pixlet being pushed with Panther?

You've got to look beyond Pixlet. The result of Pixlet, is that although files will be smaller than uncompressed, they will still be huge, and they will still need machines with 16GB of memory to manipulate, and you will need panther to access those 16GB of RAM, on a G5.

Its a synergy effect
  • Reply 25 of 26
    8 GB of RAM, 8GB. Oh god, 16. Right now I would have no need for a hard disk at all to run all my programs, of course I would need one for storage.

BEN
  • Reply 26 of 26
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sumoftheparts

<snip>

What bitrate is required (assuming good encoding) for (noticiable) artifact-free MPEG4 or MPEG2?

But even when you cannot make out the specifics artifacts in MPEG2, it still looks lower quality than the uncompressed footage, even without side-by-side comparison.

Barto