Turn off a G5 without a monitor?

jbljbl
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay, I did something stupid. I attached an old monitor (which turned out to be non-functional) to my new G5. Result: I now have a G5 which is on, but without a screen to see how to turn it off. What is safest thing to do? With other Macs pressing the power button brings up a dialog box on which the default is "shut down", so pressing the return key shuts down your mac. Unfortunately, when I do this "press the power key and then return, the G5 does something (I can't see what but the fans come on briefly), but it does not turn off. So with the G4s at least, holding the power key down for a few seconds shuts down the computer. This appeared to do little or nothing on the G5. Is there something I can do to turn it off short of pulling out the power plug?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Okay, I did something stupid. I attached an old monitor (which turned out to be non-functional) to my new G5. Result: I now have a G5 which is on, but without a screen to see how to turn it off. What is safest thing to do? With other Macs pressing the power button brings up a dialog box on which the default is "shut down", so pressing the return key shuts down your mac. Unfortunately, when I do this "press the power key and then return, the G5 does something (I can't see what but the fans come on briefly), but it does not turn off. So with the G4s at least, holding the power key down for a few seconds shuts down the computer. This appeared to do little or nothing on the G5. Is there something I can do to turn it off short of pulling out the power plug?

If you hold down the power button for 5 seconds, the G5 will shut down (you'll hear everything spinning down and turning off). This is mentioned in passing on page 15 of the manual (under "Power button").

It definitely works though; I had to do it a couple of time when I turned on my G5 and my mouse and keyboard didn't respond. Until I found that little blurb in the manual, there I was, pulling out the power cord!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Hmmm. I tried that a couple times with no luck and than I tried it again and it worked. My guess is that if the computer is asleep, pressing the button for however long just wakes it up. However it could be that if you hold it down for longer than 5 seconds it will start up again. It is hard to tell exactly what is happening when you have no monitor\
  • Reply 3 of 5
    raimacraimac Posts: 68member
    Try conect from another terminal and in the prompt tipe

#sudo shutdown -h now

, type your password and that'll do it.

I use a program called putty to connect from a pc to make some file copying and backup. It's very simple.

Good luck
  • Reply 4 of 5
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by raimac

Try conect from another terminal and in the prompt tipe

#sudo shutdown -h now

, type your password and that'll do it.

I use a program called putty to connect from a pc to make some file copying and backup. It's very simple.

Good luck

That's great and all, but to do that, you need to have ssh enabled, an option that isn't on by default and many users never touch it, let alone know what you can do with it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    raimacraimac Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

That's great and all, but to do that, you need to have ssh enabled, an option that isn't on by default and many users never touch it, let alone know what you can do with it.

On my iBook(800-early 2003), remote login and ftp were the only two services on by default