New Dido album - copy controlled

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's an excellent album. And the B-side to the single is very, very nice.

The album is "copy-controlled" which is EMI's, Virgin's, and now BMG's so-called piracy deterrent.

But it's really not an effective deterrent. On the back of the record it states explicitly that the record does not play on Macs. This is bull. It's a bluff. The disc plays on Macs, and rips to iTunes just fine.

And if I ever launch Poisoned to find something that I already own but can't find the disc or had left in storage in the US, these tracks will surely be shared from my library for the benefit of those people who bought the disc, and had trouble playing it on their Windows machine or ripping it to their Rio. It's only fair. They own the music. They have the right to download it from a source that can successfully rip it (me).

The whole point is that "copy-control" serves one purpose and one purpose only: to make it difficult for legal owners of the disc to play it in the way they should expect any CD to be played. Oh. Did I mention that these discs legally cannot be called "Compact Disc audio"? They are not CDs. But that doesn't mean the consumer should accept having less rights.

I

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    For some reason, I own three store-bought copies of her last album. I can't explain it.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Well I for one won't be buying it. They can stick their mac hating labels in their anuses (collectively)
  • Reply 3 of 24
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually i'll be buying it.

then exchanging it.

then exchanging it.

then exchanging it.

then exchanging it.

until i get my money back, and/or they stop making crippled music cd's. (that aren't really cd's)
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I would like, on behalf of the citizens of Britain, to apologise to the rest of the world for the existence of Dido.We're really sorry.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

I would like, on behalf of the citizens of Britain, to apologise to the rest of the world for the existence of Dido.We're really sorry.

Gosh darn it! I thought I'd get through the day without wetting my pants.... CURSES!!!
  • Reply 6 of 24
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

US is worse. Britney. Christina. J-Lo. Jewel. Avril. Ugh.

um, avril is canadian. and i can say her image is a hell of a lot better north of the border... must be the difference between mtv and muchmusic.

now if you want a canadian to be ashamed of, i hear celine is packin' 'em in out in vegas...

• Reply 7 of 24
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

In fact, I can't name a single American pop or dance artist that I like. I can name hundreds of Brits, current and past, in both genres. Why the hell is there no good American pop or dance music?

That's because you are only considering crappy music. Pop or dance? WTF is up with kids today?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    The reason Dido is worse than all the US acts is the dreary pretensions she has towards "her art " of dreary music and vocal performances. Tonton is right, we in Britain do have a very well tuned pop ethic, i love good pop, Dido is shite. Beyonce's Crazy in Love is an outstanding pop tune, relentless energy and hooks -and real brass too.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

actually i'll be buying it.

then exchanging it.

then exchanging it.

then exchanging it.

then exchanging it.

until i get my money back, and/or they stop making crippled music cd's. (that aren't really cd's)

We can do it together, it'll be a bonding thing.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    hehe.. Cantonpop is even worse...
  • Reply 11 of 24
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You have to wonder if Robbie Williams has been almost totally hidden from the U.S. because he'd put all of the rest of our "artists" to shame.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    Hmmm... I don't think the US version is "copy controlled." I looked all over the CD case and the CD and see nothing mentioning it and the case even has a "Compact Disc" label. OK, I guess I just outed myself as a Dido fan but I do have a guilty passion for crap pop music. However, this album is much much better than her first, IMHO.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by gyc

Hmmm... I don't think the US version is "copy controlled." I looked all over the CD case and the CD and see nothing mentioning it and the case even has a "Compact Disc" label. OK, I guess I just outed myself as a Dido fan but I do have a guilty passion for crap pop music. However, this album is much much better than her first, IMHO.

Let's see how well this album does without being sampled by Eminem to start up the buzz.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Let's see how well this album does without being sampled by Eminem to start up the buzz.

Hmm... her first album was released IIRC ~2 years before Stan and already very popular before Eminem sampled it. So maybe she wouldn't have sold 12 million but would still have sold a lot.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by gyc

Hmm... her first album was released IIRC ~2 years before Stan and already very popular before Eminem sampled it. So maybe she wouldn't have sold 12 million but would still have sold a lot.

The increase in sales from 3000 copies per week to 40000 copies per week came after getting exposure in the US from Roswell, Sliding Doors, and especially 'Stan'.

From a recent CNN story:

Quote:

"No Angel" was en route to modest success in the United States, and hadn't even been released in Europe, when Dido received an unexpected package in the mail.

It was from Eminem. One of the rap star's friends had heard Dido's song "Thank You" in the movie "Sliding Doors." Eminem sampled a portion of the song for the chorus of "Stan," his own epic story of a suicidal fan. He wanted Dido's permission to use it.

Dido was thrilled. She figured it would make her hip among her friends. She had no problem giving the OK, and even acted in the "Stan" video as Eminem's pregnant girlfriend.

No one could have anticipated that music fans -- millions of them _ would be so intrigued by the six lines of "Thank You" in Eminem's song that they would buy Dido's own disc.

• Reply 16 of 24
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Where the hell did I say I only liked pop or dance? I like good pop and I like good dance. And there is none of either coming from the US. Perhaps if you're only familiar with pop and dance artists coming from the US you might think all pop and all dance sucks. I would.

Incidentally, I also like good rock, jazz, metal, reggae, experimental, industrial, alternative, even some (only a little) hip-hop and a lot more. There is some good non-pop stuff coming from the US and elsewhere around the world. My point was that there's no good pop or dance coming from the US. And that there is good pop and dance coming from the UK, as there has been consistently since the Beatles.

Oh... and I guess I'm a 32 year-old "kid".

A kid who is currently listening to Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain -- one of my favorite albums ever. Just because I like Dido doesn't mean I have bad taste. Because you dismiss all pop and dance as "crappy music" means you are limiting your exposure. Were the Police "crappy music", Mr. Been-around-the-block? How about the Beatles? Pure Pop. And good music. No one who reallyy gave it a fair listen would call Faithless and Underworld and other great British dance artists "crappy music".

Um I wasn't insulting your taste in music. I was discussing the context of your post(s). You only mentioned crappy pop (Britney, Xtina, etc). Don't be so defensive
  • Reply 17 of 24
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I bought the UK imported version of No Angels.... fabulous.

I found the partial album of Life for Rent over iTMS.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

The increase in sales from 3000 copies per week to 40000 copies per week came after getting exposure in the US from Roswell, Sliding Doors, and especially 'Stan'.

From a recent CNN story:

OK, but she had already sold a million copies before all that exposure, which was still pretty successful.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

The album has been released for one day. On Poisoned, if I search for "Dido life for rent" I get 570 responses first try. All songs are there multiple times. At up to 196kbps. Some piracy deterrent.

I actually have, in my iTunes library, the entire album @192 kbps, with 'date added: 2003-09-25 12:44'. THAT is the true power of usenet for you.

[and before you get the wrong idea, I have a friend who's into Dido, and I'm usually the supplier of all things musical].
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Funny thing about these "copy protected" CDs: sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I keep accidentally buying these, because I don't pay attention. I stick them in my CD drive, and start ripping. Usually, I get only a few songs (the first few), and then it can't read anymore.

[cut]