Official MLB Division Series Topic

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Matchups:

*Will be updated as needed*

American League

AL Central Division Champions Minnesota Twins vs. AL Eastern Division Champions New York Yankees

Game 1: Twins 3, Yankees 1 @ New York

Game 2: Yankees 4, Twins 1 @ New York

Game 3: Yankees 3, Twins 1 @ Minnesota

Game 4: Yankees 8, Twins 1 @ Minnesota

Yankees win series 3-1

AL Wild Card Champions Boston Red Sox vs. AL Western Division Champions Oakland Athletics

Game 1: Athletics 5, Red Sox 4, 12 innings @ Oakland

Game 2: Athletics 5, Red Sox 1 @ Oakland

Game 3: Red Sox 3, Athletics 1, 11 innings @ Boston

Game 4: Red Sox 5, Athletics 4 @ Oakland

Game 5: Red Sox 4, Athletics 3 @ Oakland

Red Sox win series 3-2

National League

NL Central Division Champions Chicago Cubs vs. NL Eastern Division Champions Atlanta Braves

Game 1: Cubs 4, Braves 2 @ Atlanta

Game 2: Braves 5, Cubs 3 @ Atlanta

Game 3: Cubs 3, Braves 1 @ Chicago

Game 4: Braves 6, Cubs 4 @ Chicago

Game 5: Cubs 5, Braves 1 @ Atlanta

Cubs win series 3-2

NL Wild Card Champions Florida Marlins vs. NL Western Division Champions San Francisco Giants

Game 1: Giants 2, Marlins 0 @ San Francisco

Game 2: Marlins 9, Giants 5 @ San Francisco

Game 3: Marlins 4, Giants 3, 11 innings @ Florida

Game 4: Marlins 7, Giants 6 @ Florida

Marlins win series 3-1

The series are obviously a best of 5 and the winners of the series will play in their leagues championship series (which is best of 7 games). The winners of the ALCS and NLCS will advance to the World Series (which is also best of 7 games).

Make your predictions now, if you already haven't.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 92
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    By chance I scored two bleacher tickets online this morning to today's Giants game, so I went. We broke the single game attendance record, woohoo for PacBell Park.

I'd like to see the Yankees beat the Twins because the As seem to have problems against the Twins, but won the season series against the Yankees. Plus, the should the Giants make the World Series, I'd like to see them play the best from the AL, and that's not the Twins.

Dude, Braves fans are so lame. There are more Cubs fans at Turner Field tonight than Braves fans. If the Braves lose the series, the fans are gong to have to blame themselves first and foremost.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    Those 10 PM start times are going to kill me. Go Sox!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 92
    "Schmidt has recipe for Fish batters"

Worst Division Series Game 1 Headline Ever.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    Cubs had the bases juiced, nobody out. Dustiny peeks its head out...

EDIT1: Actually, I think I want the Cubs to beat the Braves. Then the Giants would have homefield in the NLCS and victory against Dusty would be so much sweeter.

EDIT2: 8TH INNING, DUSTY. GIVE KERRY THE GAME BALL AND HAND THE GAME TO THE BULLPEN. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.

EDIT3: HERE HE COMES!!
  • Reply 6 of 92
    Cubs Win Game 1.
  • Reply 7 of 92

• Reply 8 of 92
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    So with 3 games played so far, does anyone want to make a prediction about any of the series?
  • Reply 9 of 92
    here's what i hate about fox's coverage, twice cubs had bases loaded with none out, down by one run. how was atlanta's infield playing them, were they conceding the run for the dp? were they playing in? you'd never know listening to the announcers and no camera shots of how the defense was set up.

but the announcers kept telling us how long it'd been since they won on a tuesday with a full moon on the road...it was before lindburgh flew the atlantic! before they landed on the moon! jeez.

and we had plenty of of close-ups of dusty and his tooth pick, kerry wood's wife, bobby cox, and leo mazzoni (what's with this guy and his rockin'? 10 years now i've watched him doing this, is he retarded or something?)

they cant take a wide shot of the field to save their life. except from the blimp which travels millions of miles every year to give you useless overhead shots of sporting events at the sake of showing you how the infield is set up!
  • Reply 10 of 92
    That's all you hate about Fox's coverage? I could probably type a rant for about 2 hours about why I wish ESPN/ABC had the contract instead of Fox. But even then, I'd rather see local coverage of the games with announcers that have been following the team all season rather than the national announcers who read everything off of a computer or get information through an earpiece.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

That's all you hate about Fox's coverage? I could probably type a rant for about 2 hours about why I wish ESPN/ABC had the contract instead of Fox. But even then, I'd rather see local coverage of the games with announcers that have been following the team all season rather than the national announcers who read everything off of a computer or get information through an earpiece.

I agree 100% the ethusiasim, and the feeling that you get when you get hear the home announcer is what makes baseball. Do you think they'd have let Harry Carry announce the cub seriers at home if he was still alive?
  • Reply 12 of 92
    oh yeah there is a ton more i could bring up......i like brenneman for the most part, but psycho lyons really dropped the ball last night.

but your right espn's coverage is vastly superior to fox, sutcliffe and gwynn are very insightful and informative, and i know many don't like joe morgan, but morgan and jon miller are the best duo in the booth.

espn's big problem is "boomer" berman, yesterday he was not bad, but usually he's horrible at baseball (i don't watch football, but when i do catch his sunday pregame sctick i want to vomit) and does he ever comb or trim his hair? has anyone told him he's on tv? he usually looks like he just rolled out of bed.

as a cub fan you get spoiled, steve stone is sometimes scary with his comments before something happens, chip caray's better now that he's back with stone but when he was paired with a bad color man (last year) his weaknesses really come to the front.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    Anyone watching this Marlins/Giants game? It's been back and forth with various tie scores as well. Pretty good baseball.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    Quote:

Anyone watching this Marlins/Giants game? It's been back and forth with various tie scores as well. Pretty good baseball.

I'm watching the ESPN feed muted with the local radio broadcast. There's a bit of a delay, but I'll survive. The 6-8 batters for the Giants are stone cold right now, and Ponson absolutely squandered an opportunity to run away with the game. On to Florida. With Urbina and such, I very much doubt the Giants are going to be pulling any miracles out of their collective asses this game.

EDIT: Berman is awful. "Pedro Feliz .. NAVIDAD!" *groan*
  • Reply 15 of 92
    This being AppleOutsider, I've got to throw in some conspiracy talk.

The Giants/Marlins first 3 games are all outside of primetime. The first two Cubs/Braves have been in primetime. The Yankees have a funky schedule where they played a day game yestderday and have no game today. The Red Sox have a primetime game tonight.

The conspiracy is this, the MLB and networks are pushing hard for a Cubs vs. Red Sox World Series and are going to influence it with biased officiating and scheduling.

Such a World Series would be the most compelling in a very long time. TV ratings would skyrocket.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    Quote:

The Red Sox have a primetime game tonight.

I know you're on the west coast, so I'll let it slide a bit, but the Red Sox game isn't on until 10 PM on the east coast, meaning it won't get over until 1 or 2 AM. We can't watch it if we have to get up and go to work or class tomorrow morning.

Whoever made this schedule wasn't thinking.... \
  • Reply 17 of 92
    Quote:

So with 3 games played so far, does anyone want to make a prediction about any of the series?

The Yankees are in trouble. Ditto for the Braves. I never expected the Marlins to get past the Giants anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

The Yankees are in trouble. Ditto for the Braves. I never expected the Marlins to get past the Giants anyway.

The Giants are in trouble too. Homefield advatange goes to Pro Player stadium, where it is a biiiiig deal.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    Quote:

I know you're on the west coast, so I'll let it slide a bit, but the Red Sox game isn't on until 10 PM on the east coast, meaning it won't get over until 1 or 2 AM. We can't watch it if we have to get up and go to work or class tomorrow morning.

Whoever made this schedule wasn't thinking.... \

The schedule suits the players, and that's what I'm talking about.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    I can't believe they let Kim into the game to pitch. Pedro had to go 9 if they wanted to win that game.