Practicality of iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm planning on getting a Powerbook, but not until the next upgrade of the G4 or the release of the G5. So I'm still stuck with a pc. You might wonder what this has to do with an iPod, so I ask you how practical is the iPod with a windows system? Could someone outline what I can or can't do with it and a pc?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It's iPod, dammit. It's all that matters here!

Anywho, the iPod is a well priced, functional product that you'll never regret buying.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    CAN DO: You can store and play music on it.

CAN'T DO: It will not cure genital warts.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It can play music and sync with your music library just like iTunes can on a Mac. I believe it can also store your contacts, provided you use .vcf files. You'd have to move them manually, I think.

I don't think you can use calendars with the iPod. You might be able to use notes - make a plain text file and put it in the "Notes" folder of the iPod. But I doubt you'd have the synchronization options that Mac users have. VCF files are cross-platform, and used by both MS and Apple, but the other stuff won't necessarily work.

Still, it's an excellent music player. That's all I really use mine for anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Can someone please change the title to iPod from I-pod... it is getting so annoying to look at

he he, sorry, just had to get that off my chest
  • Reply 5 of 14
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    ugh...i'm sorry, thanks for flame.

and those who helped me, despite my lack of experiance and familiarity with the forum, thanks aswell. more sincerely too.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    As you command.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Sorry for getting upset, I know how you must feel after hearing I-pod or other such mistakes from every noobie to grace the boards.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, no problem. it works ok on a PC, just the software isn't as nice as iTunes.

trust me, you'll enjoy it though. iPods are lots of fun.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Thanks. And there are no "versions" of it are there? Such as a version for only PC then only for Mac?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

CAN DO: You can store and play music on it.

CAN'T DO: It will not cure genital warts.

That's not yet been disproven!

Us at iPodsCanDoAnythingandEverything Corp. demand that you retract that statement.

Or else we'll send Jobbo round!
  • Reply 11 of 14
    two mods pass over this thread and fail to move it to Digital Hub?

Tisk, tisk...

(iPod = Digital Hub, btw)
  • Reply 12 of 14
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

Thanks. And there are no "versions" of it are there? Such as a version for only PC then only for Mac?

Used to be. Now it's one model for both platforms. Your only decision is how much to spend on one.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Two things not yet mentioned:

iTunes for Windows is due out by the end of this year at the latest. This will cure the major lacking areas with the iPod on the PC side, namely: access to iTunes Music Store, easily converting to AAC, and having to deal with MusicMatch.

Many PCs do not have a firewire port, so you may need to buy a USB2 cable (though you can buy firewire port cards or even combined firewire & USB2 ports for not much cash).
  • Reply 14 of 14
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by andym172

That's not yet been disproven!

Us at iPodsCanDoAnythingandEverything Corp. demand that you retract that statement.

Or else we'll send Jobbo round!

The thought of Steve's goons abducting me, tying a couple "Blue Dalmation" iMacs to my feet and dumping me off a bridge does keep me awake at night you know.