Reselling a TiBook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a 15" 800Mhz Ti that I was considering putting on ebay. I kind of want something smaller (I bike to school everyday with it, so the 12" would be better for me).

I don't have any experience selling on ebay yet though. Any tips? Any guesses on how much it might go for? It's in good condition except for the paint on the outer bevel being pretty chipped away.

If anyone has suggestions or is interested in it, let me know.

Thank!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Pics please... (chipped paint)

Oh and some specs too...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Specs are:

800 MHz

40.0 GB hard drive

512 MB SDRAM (1 empty slot)

DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive

I still have the original box and included items such as DVI/VGA adapter and Composite/S-video output adapter.

I don't have access to a digital camera right now, but I can tell you the chipping is bad in a couple parts (where my palms rest most of the time). Kind of corroded looking. The rest of the computer is in really good condition, such as screen, top lid, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Here's my completed eBay auction. I think I made out well.

My old 800 MHz TiBook on eBay

I've already been paid via PayPal, and the TiBook should be arriving in the buyer's hands any day now.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by bluesloth

Specs are:

800 MHz

40.0 GB hard drive

512 MB SDRAM (1 empty slot)

DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive

I still have the original box and included items such as DVI/VGA adapter and Composite/S-video output adapter.

I don't have access to a digital camera right now, but I can tell you the chipping is bad in a couple parts (where my palms rest most of the time). Kind of corroded looking. The rest of the computer is in really good condition, such as screen, top lid, etc.

Fortunately, I had no chipping of paint or major scratches. Some very faint scratches and very faint keyboard marking on the screen were the only signs of use. Otherwise, it looks you're looking to sell nearly the same computer I sold. The only tech-spec difference is that my 512 MB took up both slots as two 256 MB sticks. I added an extra battery and an original copy of Jaguar.

I shipped with the original box, manuals, and accessories. At the last minute, however, I had a few frantic hours of searching for the damned composite/S-video adapter that I'd thought I'd left in the box. It wasn't that important a piece of the system, but I felt an obligation to find it and live up to my claims about what I was selling.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I think the latest Ti rev has a different paint job.

I have my Ti for a year now ,no chipping, just minor scratches and U have to look really close to see them.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Thanks for the ebay link.

I think I would ebay if I could guarantee $1350 or so. With my educational discount, I wouldn't have to pitch in too much more for a new 12".

Any tips on getting the best response on the auction? Or know anyone who wants to buy a used laptop?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    i just got a bit over $1500 for mine this week on Ebay, same specs, 800/512mb/40gig/combo/airport.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by cjm0812

i just got a bit over $1500 for mine this week on Ebay, same specs, 800/512mb/40gig/combo/airport.

I thought I did well selling the same thing at $1360. Did you have some bundled software or left-over AppleCare coverage to throw in?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    no, it was basically stock. here is the link to the auction -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=14909&rd=1
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by cjm0812

no, it was basically stock. here is the link to the auction -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=14909&rd=1

Maybe I should have included more pictures in my auction. Same specs, and I included all of the original accessories and manuals too. I added an original set of Jaguar CDs and an extra battery, and my system was slightly newer at 17 months old. But yours sold for $152 more. Life isn't fair!