Cloning MAC address on Airport Base Station

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need to clone my ethernet MAC address on my Airport Base Station. I have heard there is a way to do this, but I can't find any info on Apples site about it or any other forums for that matter. I can't use it on the network with out going through a lot of trouble and it would be easier to just clone the address. If anyone can give me any info I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Oh come on!
  • Reply 2 of 17
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    bump*
  • Reply 3 of 17
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Geez, at least give your thread a day before bumping it.

Are you trying to clone the ABS MAC address onto your Mac or vice versa?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I am trying to clone my ethernet MAC address onto my Airport. I want to be able to plug my airport into the network and be able to connect through it to the internet instead of having this damn ethernet cord pluged into the back of my powerbook
  • Reply 5 of 17
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Are Airport Base Stations actual routers, or just wireless hubs? You'd need a router to do something like that.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Is this for an ISP connection. I know I had to register several addresses with telewest before they would let me use the link.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    ABS Extreme doesn't have a button that says "Copy MAC address from computer?" hmm... that's what is says on my Asante router.

There used to be a JAVA program to configure ABS, way back in the day before Apple made WEP keys reasonable. Maybe that had that functionality built in. I'll see if I can even still find it.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    bobwbobw Posts: 49member
    On My Base Station I can do this in the Airport Admin Utility under the Access Tab.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    How do you do this in the access pane? I don't see anything about MAC adresses... I know there is a way to do this because a friend of mine has his working but his dad did it for him and he doesn't know how.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Why not just register your ABS MAC address with your ISP? It should be pretty straightforward; you do it through a web browser.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Damn it I'm at college the only way to change is to go down to their office wait in line for an hour and then have then screw it up and have to go back three times to get it to work. Trust me it's not worth it.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    If you are running the ABS in normal (NAT disabled) mode, the ISP will see your AirPort card's MAC address, not the ABS's MAC. So you need to clone your Ethernet port's MAC onto your AirPort card; this should be possible, but the last time I tried it I got a kernel panic.

Try
    Code:

ifconfig en1 lladdr <new MAC address>

• Reply 13 of 17
    didn't work

I think I need to clone my ethernet MAC address onto my Airport BaseStation
  • Reply 14 of 17
    You are correct.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Hey... Ok I got a D-link router. Is there any way to get rendezvous to work through it to my college network. It works when I plug my computer in directly but the router seems to stop it.

Also do any of you know of a way to clone my ethernet MAC address onto my airport's mac address?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Rendezvous doesn't work through routers. Did I mention that NAT is bad?
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Rendezvous doesn't work through routers. Did I mention that NAT is bad?

Okay, will rendezvous work trough Airport BS to LAN network?