Newspaper Software?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Which app would you suggest my school use for Newspaper production. Money is not a issue, but would still like to keep it a reasonable price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    InDesign, as you won't have to worry about problems that are inherent with Quark, and it'll work the same in OS 9 or OS X.

Any other specifics you care to mention?

What you are printing to (press, laser)?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Actually I'm a bigger PageMaker fan. I say build it like you see it. (plus Adobe has a fine history of upgrades and support) UNLIKE Quark.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    InDesign is what we use for our newspaper production, and I think it will become the standard for such.

I think it's what your school should go with, since you should learn what the Pros will be using anyway.

I did my high school magazine on a Mac, and used that experience on my resume when I was starting out to get an intern position with one of Canada's largest publishers.

We are Pagemaker veterans here too (1994-2001) and that's from even back before it was an Adobe product. It got me to where I am now, but facts are facts, the product is at a dead-end.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

I think it's what your school should go with, since you should learn what the Pros will be using anyway.

reality check time. i'm no big quark fan, but let's get real. indesign has a long way to go before it unseats quark from it's throne atop the publishing/design world. you want to get a job in most markets, then you need to know quark, or be able to adapt real fast to the way it works. people bitch and whine about it (myself included), but quark still gets the job done and will be a major player for years to come.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quark yeah is probably alittle to far from what we'd like to spend. It's $800+. I'm looking into indesign right now. Does indesign have support for dual 604e's? We'd probably be using temporarily on my 9600 dual 200Mhz which I'll have to part with until we can get a G5 passed by our school board.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Quark yeah is probably alittle to far from what we'd like to spend. It's $800+. I'm looking into indesign right now. Does indesign have support for dual 604e's? We'd probably be using temporarily on my 9600 dual 200Mhz which I'll have to part with until we can get a G5 passed by our school board.

indesign is not multi proccessor aware, as far as i know (not that quark is either). you may also have issue trying to get it to run on old hardware such as a 200mhz 604e machine. indesign, like most recent adobe software, is very demanding of your hardware. if it run at all, it will be really, really slow. i hope you have plenty of ram in that old box. regardless of which app you go with be sure to see what kind of educational discounts you can get. could save you a bundle on software and even hardware.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Yeah, i have that baby almost maxed 1.2GB's interleaved.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

reality check time. i'm no big quark fan, but let's get real. indesign has a long way to go before it unseats quark from it's throne atop the publishing/design world. you want to get a job in most markets, then you need to know quark, or be able to adapt real fast to the way it works. people bitch and whine about it (myself included), but quark still gets the job done and will be a major player for years to come.

I understand what you mean. But he's asking about Educational use. Quark is ahead right now but InDesign is now a 3.0 product and Quark still has to work the bugs out of their first OS X version.

With every Photoshop user having access to an InDesign upgrade price and the return of the Pagemaker Control Palette and Story Editor. ID will gain a lot more ground. Maybe even level the field.

I'm not predicting Quark's total demise as much as saying that up and coming designers will need to know InDesign to get ahead in New Normal for the Print industry.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Also keep in mind that there are plug-ins for InDesign to export files to Quark 4 format, and that ID can read Q4 documents (for future reference).

Having said that, Quark 4 is the industry standard, not Quark 6 - Q6 can't even save as version 4 format! If you can find someone who will sell you an old copy of this on the cheap, go for it, as the 604e post makes me believe you will be running OS 9. But if you get Quark below version 6, you will need Adobe Type Manager to make the fonts WYSIWYG.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Altivec_2.0 View Post

Which app would you suggest my school use for Newspaper production. Money is not a issue, but would still like to keep it a reasonable price.

Hi,

I am also looking for the newspaper software. If you find this please also tell me about this.