What will the U.S. do about Korea?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, that well-known "Axis of Evil" nation has come out today with the news that

"?North Korea was in possession of a nuclear deterrent and was continuing to strengthen that capability." (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s958690.htm; cf. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/3157328.stm).

Apparently, they've "repurposed" reprocessed nuclear fuel for weapons use, enough to build about six nuclear weapons...

So with the U.S. forces stretched in Afghanisatan in Iraq: what are they going to do about Korean brinkmanship, given their previous strong statements on the subject?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

I believe the military terminology is "put your head between your legs and kiss your @ss goodbye..."

I'm more worried about 1 Infinite Loop being vapourised than my arse as such... (although, I do have a lot of feelings for my arse as well).
  • Reply 2 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

So with the U.S. forces stretched in Afghanisatan in Iraq: what are they going to do about Korean brinkmanship, given their previous strong statements on the subject?

Do you read/watch/listen to the news? The US is pushing multilateral talks on this issue.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Do you read/watch/listen to the news? The US is pushing multilateral talks on this issue.

I do indeed. (Well, I read and listen, anyway).

The point is that this is a significant escalation ? Korea previously denied the existance of a nuclear weapons programme.

Given that it seems pretty clear that Korea will not back down without a non-aggression pact (which the US is unhappy about (what, us aggressive?)) and a significant aid package (which the US is also unhappy about, it seems because they don't want to be seen to be bowing to illegitimate pressure of this kind), it's unclear what scope there is for negotiation without the US taking a more realistic view of what the negotiating parameters Korea are happy to work within are.

[deep breath]

So: will the US stick to multilateral talks, and if so will/should it change its tactics within them?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Saddam's probably watching this right now and kicking himself from the Tigris to the Euphrates and back. If he had told everyone he had a bunch of WMDs (nuke etc)...perhaps he might have saved his ass and brought the US to the bargaining table..

Peace through strength. Isn't that the motto?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    staphbaby:

Quote:

The point is that this is a significant escalation ? Korea previously denied the existance of a nuclear weapons programme.

Define: previously.

NK was banging their tiny nuke drum during Clinton's term, maybe even before that.

This is not new.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

Well, that well-known "Axis of Evil" nation has come out today with the news that

"?North Korea was in possession of a nuclear deterrent and was continuing to strengthen that capability." (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s958690.htm; cf. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/3157328.stm).

To what extent do you believe the North Koreans?

These guys are even more hilarious than the Iraqi Information Minister.

http://welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com

They've already starved 15% of their population to *maybe* build one or two nukes. My guess is that after they starve the rest of the population to build 15 of them, we won't have to worry very much about North Korea, because Kim Jong Il will be farming a rice paddy to feed himself.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Nothing they claim can be taken at face value; even an admission of nuclear weapons posession. Wouldn't be surprised to find out next week that they *don't* have a nuclear weapon, "but are actively trying". This is how they get people's attention now. There is no other means for them to do so short of invading S. Korea.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

staphbaby:

This is not new.

Perhaps not, but the Bush administration's demonstrated willingness to commit significant ground forces to forward the nebulous goal of world peace/stability/anti-terrorism certainly is.

How can Bush reconcile his rhetoric with the evidence that North Korea is continually reminding the world of, that it is a country with the nation-state equivalent of paranoid schizophrenia?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Nothing they claim can be taken at face value; even an admission of nuclear weapons posession. Wouldn't be surprised to find out next week that they *don't* have a nuclear weapon, "but are actively trying". This is how they get people's attention now. There is no other means for them to do so short of invading S. Korea.

Surely whether it's true or not isn't necessarily important; ultimately any government will have to take threats like this seriously ? and who knows what public opinion, which Bush etc. will ultimately have to look to, is going to make of the situation.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JamesBSD

To what extent do you believe the North Koreans?

These guys are even more hilarious than the Iraqi Information Minister.

http://welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com

They've already starved 15% of their population to *maybe* build one or two nukes. My guess is that after they starve the rest of the population to build 15 of them, we won't have to worry very much about North Korea, because Kim Jong Il will be farming a rice paddy to feed himself.

Ohhhhh, now I must respectfully disagree. A nuke! We'd better surrender right away!

Run Away!

Aries 1B