Questions from a 17" pb newbie.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, so after surfing the board a bit it looks like 17" owners are a minority. Just to report though with all the issues and problems out there with latest revisions, that the only problem I'm really having is a sticky left arrow key. The overall keyboard didn't seem installed all that well at first, but after some use is working fine. I had to press down on a few keys where it looked like the keyboard was rolling waves. I have to say the big size is nice. Two web pages side by side, helps with multi-tasking, perfect for wide screen movies. Of course, in comparison to my brothers Dell 8200 labtop(only other labtop I have much experience with), the Apple is less bulky and lighter, while having a bigger screen. Gotta love Apple for its superior enginering.

Anyway, I've had mine for about a week and am wondering if the fan that comes on periodically is supposed to sound like it's about to die? Up in the left corner near where power adapter plugs in. It just sounds bad, and it took 4/5 days before I even first heard it. Guess I had to really get the computer working to generate enough heat. Yes I plan to use it for more intensive tasks, just feeling my way around right now.

Also, I am new to OS X, upgrading from the original bondi blue 233 iMac(system 8.1 anyone?). So is grey and blue really the only two colors for windows appearance sake? Also, I have read on here before that it's better to keep the computer on a flat surface for heat disapation versus raising it up even a little. Anyone know how true that is? So, yes I am completely new to pb and system 10, so I am going to sound lost sometimes. Thanks for input.

-Meeces(still working on signature)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    gnypgnyp Posts: 37member
    i never hear the fan operate. how many hours did u use until you hear the fan's start spinning? i mostly use for about 2- 3 hours, or maybe my fan doesn't work at all... any way to test the fan work or not?

gNYp
  • Reply 2 of 9
    regreg Posts: 832member
    When the laptop is on a desk or table, the fan seldom comes on. The fan will come on after about 1.5 to 2 hours if it is on my lap. The fan speed is slow so that may be why yours sounds like it is dying.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 9
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    It's a variable rate fan and I too wondered about the sound when mine first came on. It almost sounds as if it's rubbing against something. When it speeds up, it sounds more normal. I'm pretty sure there are two fans and the second one comes on when I'm really working the CPU and disk.

As for heat, I keep my 17" model on a homemade plexiglass platform with rubber feet on top, allowing a quarter inch of breathing space under the computer. I would expect keeping the computer flush to a flat surface would make it hotter, not cooler. Opinions?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

It's a variable rate fan and I too wondered about the sound when mine first came on. It almost sounds as if it's rubbing against something. When it speeds up, it sounds more normal. I'm pretty sure there are two fans and the second one comes on when I'm really working the CPU and disk.

As for heat, I keep my 17" model on a homemade plexiglass platform with rubber feet on top, allowing a quarter inch of breathing space under the computer. I would expect keeping the computer flush to a flat surface would make it hotter, not cooler. Opinions?

air is not a good heat conductor especially if they are not any airflow. I should suggest to put your powerbook directly to a flat surface. A glass surface should be better than a wood one. An alu one should be perfect.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

air is not a good heat conductor especially if they are not any airflow. I should suggest to put your powerbook directly to a flat surface. A glass surface should be better than a wood one. An alu one should be perfect.

Interesting. Then what's the theory behind the CoolPad®-like devices which raise your PowerBook slightly off the desk surface?

Perhaps my thinking has been wrong since getting my first notebook computer. I usually use my PowerBook on my lap so most of the reasoning for using a "platform" has been to keep the heat off my legs, but I also thought I was keeping the computer cooler.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I doubt that raising it off the desk would have an adverse effect on cooling ...

but your lap, or a pillow, or the bed (or any soft surface) will tend to make a really good insulator, thus keeping it hotter) ....
  • Reply 7 of 9
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    Someone asked about how long before fan comes on. An hour or more at least, and it usually requires multiple tasks, such as importing music from a CD while listening to what's being imported, working with iCal and browsing internet. But it was really weird that it took a week before I heard it. It also feels like heat radiates out the keyboard(with lights off), especially around the space bar every once and a while. I do really wish there were a way to test that fan though, it just sounds so agonizing to me. Maybe it's just me, or the various speeds sound different. I run a separate small fan pointed at the computer sometimes to keep that fan off. Also, havne't really worked with it in my lap, it feels hot enough sitting on my desk!

Something else about the overall orginization of os X, it seems like there are multiple copies of the same thing orgainized on the computer. The whole folder with users in it is throwing me, because I go to find certain things where I think they would be and they aren't. I don't need a folder under users labeled desktop to duplicate what's actually on my desktop, if that makes sense. Anyone recommend a good book for working through and around the operating system? Or a good guide to Mac os X? Thanks again for input. Think I got my signature down for now too.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The heat from the 17 is nothing compared to what my old Ti 500 would put out. As for books I would wait another month and get one after 10.3 comes out. I like the O'Rielly's series, the missing manual and the Coriolis Black Book series.

reg
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

Someone asked about how long before fan comes on. An hour or more at least, and it usually requires multiple tasks, such as importing music from a CD while listening to what's being imported, working with iCal and browsing internet. But it was really weird that it took a week before I heard it. It also feels like heat radiates out the keyboard(with lights off), especially around the space bar every once and a while. I do really wish there were a way to test that fan though, it just sounds so agonizing to me. Maybe it's just me, or the various speeds sound different. I run a separate small fan pointed at the computer sometimes to keep that fan off. Also, havne't really worked with it in my lap, it feels hot enough sitting on my desk!

Something else about the overall orginization of os X, it seems like there are multiple copies of the same thing orgainized on the computer. The whole folder with users in it is throwing me, because I go to find certain things where I think they would be and they aren't. I don't need a folder under users labeled desktop to duplicate what's actually on my desktop, if that makes sense. Anyone recommend a good book for working through and around the operating system? Or a good guide to Mac os X? Thanks again for input. Think I got my signature down for now too.

Mac OS X: The Missing Manual. I don't have it but that's what most will recommend.

If you haven't done this already do it now. In the finder, select column view in the view options. Voila! The structure of OS X is magically revealed.

OS X is a multiple user os. Presumably you have a user account and a home folder in the users folder. If other accounts were set up then they would get their own home folder in the users folder. My computer is single user only so I could be completely wrong (I know someone will correct me if I am) but I've always asssumed that the desktop in your home folder represents your desktop prefs. So you log in and you get your desktop set up. Another user logs in and it changes to their desktop.

I migrated from 8.5 a little over a year ago. I am no tech head by any stretch of the imagination but it's been easy peasey so far. And X still blows me away - defintely an OS with its fancy pants on. I'd suggest just exploring for a while. Provided you don't fiddle around in your system folder or terminal (unless you know what you're doing) OS X is pretty hard to upset. Far as I'm concerned, OS X is the jewel in Apple's crown. Welcome to the party.