New Palm Machines

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This caught my N*wton-seeking eye:

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/h...s/tungsten-t3/

Bigger screen, write anywhere (I think?), icons in a menu bar....

Closer and closer....

Still lots of great features and synchronization for WINDOWS.

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    My same thought... the form factor is essentially what I've been dreaming of for the Newton for years (and we were *so close* dammit...)

I still want to strip out the battery pack in my 2100, and the connection ports, place a LiIon flatpack battery in it, and make a new case with almost no screen bezel...
  • Reply 2 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    You know, Palm OS 6 was due this summer, with a great big raftload of enhancements (including, for instance, the abstraction of the handwriting recognition interface, so that Palm or third parties could substitute different engines than Graffitti without forcing application rewrites) and cool things like preemptive multitasking.

That's a nice handheld - certainly, the most appealing thing that Palm's released as far as I'm concerned - but I think we'll see the niche that the Newton invented come into its own with Palm OS 6, based on the rumors from last year.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    I almost got the new Tungsten T3 to replace my trusty Message Pad 2100, but thought better of it a moment later. I'm waiting for the "A" to be put back in PDA. I couldn't live without the assist button on my Newt. Plus Grafiti still sucks, period.

However the landscape view, 64 MB ram, bluetooth, ect are all very compelling features. I think I'm going to wait for the T4.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    I just bought a MP2100. Still waiting for it (should be here real soon!), but I am so excited about it. You are right about the "Assist" part of the PDA being compelling and also the fact that the Newton has a longer battery life than the 3 hour Tungsten T3... That, to me, is the deal-breaker.

I've got a little Zire here that lasts for months without bothering with the recharging...

Is Fran still using his Newton like he was?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    He?!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Until someone *cough*Apple*cough* can come out with a Newton reborn, I'm going to be using my PocketPC. I hate the fact that it's windows with it's attendant .dll crap, but in terms of functionality, it's way closer than Palm's gotten to a Newton. With the missing sync and pocketmac now out and working relatively well, I'm happy with the way things are going thus far.

Personally, I think the Palm OS stinks. It hasn't changed substantially in years and its extremely limited in what it can do. PPC's, for better or worse, have a file system that can be navigated. Just like the Newton. It has system wide categories, just like the newton. It has decent HWR, almost like the Newton. Sure, there is no 'assist me' function, but that may never happen again. I miss my Newt 2100, but the iPaq I've got is ok in its own right.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

He?!

"Fran" is an abbreviated "Francis".
  • Reply 8 of 27
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    Nobody remembers that this forums moderator Fran411 "used" to be the biggest Newton supporter of them all?

Are you still using it Fran? Hello, paging Fran....
  • Reply 9 of 27
    bagubagu Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Personally, I think the Palm OS stinks.

Quote:

It hasn't changed substantially in years

Same can be said for PPC which hasn't changed much since Q1 2000. PPC2003 was a disappointing update (.NET framework means little to the end-user), and the next update will be another baby step. PalmOS 6, on the other hand, will be finished by Dec 29th.

Quote:

and its extremely limited in what it can do.

Agendus or DateBk5, advanced PIMs

HandPainter Pro

Kinoma Player, movie player

MMPlayer, divx, mp3 player

NesEm, NES emulator

Phoinix, freeware GameBoy emulator

Power48, free HP48 emulator

ScummVM, plays LucasArts games

Warfare Incorporated, RTS game

ZiPCAD

.. just to name a few.

Your perception of Palms being limited stems from that mindset when in 2000 PPCs gave Palm a run for their money. That trend has been reversed.

Quote:

PPC's, for better or worse, have a file system that can be navigated.

Although it's still true that PalmOS lacks a real filesystem on RAM, it does on expansion cards. Also, I can mount CF and MemorySticks on my desktop, from my Clie, as a mass-storage drive. So, yes, you can navigate a real filesystem from within and outside the PDA.

Quote:

It has decent HWR, almost like the Newton.

Transcriber sucks unless you like going back to correct every third word or so. I prefer switching between Decuma and the built-in keyboard.

I would more concerned about the PPC's future than Palm:

PocketPCs rumoured dead

?The PocketPC market is pretty much dead, and HP will tell you the same if you talk to them. They will give you a realistic view?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bagu

Same can be said for PPC which hasn't changed much since Q1 2000. PPC2003 was a disappointing update (.NET framework means little to the end-user), and the next update will be another baby step. PalmOS 6, on the other hand, will be finished by Dec 29th.

Agendus or DateBk5, advanced PIMs

HandPainter Pro

Kinoma Player, movie player

MMPlayer, divx, mp3 player

NesEm, NES emulator

Phoinix, freeware GameBoy emulator

Power48, free HP48 emulator

ScummVM, plays LucasArts games

Warfare Incorporated, RTS game

ZiPCAD

.. just to name a few.

Your perception of Palms being limited stems from that mindset when in 2000 PPCs gave Palm a run for their money. That trend has been reversed.

Although it's still true that PalmOS lacks a real filesystem on RAM, it does on expansion cards. Also, I can mount CF and MemorySticks on my desktop, from my Clie, as a mass-storage drive. So, yes, you can navigate a real filesystem from within and outside the PDA.

Transcriber sucks unless you like going back to correct every third word or so. I prefer switching between Decuma and the built-in keyboard.

I would more concerned about the PPC's future than Palm:

PocketPCs rumoured dead

?The PocketPC market is pretty much dead, and HP will tell you the same if you talk to them. They will give you a realistic view?

Umm, thanks for that. I've been a Palm user for years. I know what it can and can't do. I personally don't care if either Palm of PPC go away. Right now, the PPC is more functional. However, these new machines from Palm add absolutely NOTHING to what they have. Some more memory and less battery life. Great. And now Palm users have to put up with Graffiti 2. Wonderful.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    bagubagu Posts: 23member
    Quote:

However, these new machines from Palm add absolutely NOTHING to what they have. Some more memory and less battery life. Great.

It's an incremental update. So what. Have you seen the Tapwave Zodiac? or the flip-and-twist clamshell from Sony? the GPS Garmin? Samsung smartphone? Palm's own lineup may look plain, but if you see the big picture, PPC hardware designs haven't changed much at all, since the original iPAQ.

Since you're waiting for something that stacks up to the Newton, wait for OS6, or just stick with your MP 2100.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    The new palms seem promising. They seem to be making decent advances now. Most of the newer models sport high resolution, speedy processors and generous memory.

The only PPC machines that seem interesting are the ipaq 19xx series. Very nice size for a PPC and replaceable batteries are a nice feature too. The 19xx series actually seems decently priced as well.

I'm waiting for a more Mac-centric device before I upgrade my Clie 710 though. I would love to be able to use all the .mac services from a nice small handheld.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Thread Title: New Palm Machines

Quote:

Originally posted by Bagu

It's an incremental update.

Thank you. Nothing new here.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Apple and Palm (or their current and shitty new name, pa1mOne) should join forces in some way and make a new Newton. Or Apple could commision them to build it, and Apple could design it, or Apple could make it and use the Palm OS, or some other arrangement could be made.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    T3 caught my eye too. I'm getting access to a slush fund at work and may get the T3 to help me with my work
  • Reply 16 of 27
    The most frustrating part of the Palm OS has been its growing pains. I bought a Sony Clié NX60 as soon as they came out and had Palm OS 5. It's a great handheld, perfect for what I wanted it to do. The 320x480 screen with virtual graffiti is great as well.

Unfortunately, a lot of Palm applications out there don't take advantage of the additional resolution, or are still made for 160x160 screens. There is also no functionality built-in to rotate the screen on the Sony, though I understand that the T3 has that option. Really though, I think a lot of that stuff should be in the OS, not specially made for a device.

The other issues are a lack of a file system, and the fact that when I download software now, I actually get like four copies of a program.... one is for black and white devices, one is for colour, one is for high res colour, and one is for high res colour with Palm OS 5 sound. That's kind of annoying.

I think the Palm OS is still maturing, and those growing pains are really rough and frustrating. I give the platform another two or three years before it starts getting really interesting.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

"Fran" is an abbreviated "Francis".

Thanks for the correction.

I remember, long ago, seeing an AI pictures thread which contained pictures a beautiful Asian woman frolicking at the beach and somehow associated those pics to Fran.

/too much Guinness?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Thanks for the correction.

I remember, long ago, seeing an AI pictures thread which contained pictures a beautiful Asian woman frolicking at the beach and somehow associated those pics to Fran.

/too much Guinness?

That would be Kate.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    That was Kate. Fran is our man in Beantown.

Anyhoo, I'm the happy owner of a Palm Zire, and while on one hand i'm concerned about Palm not offering compelling reasons to upgrade/expand the market, on the other I ask myself if I really want to deal with bloatware. I'll take incremental and qualitative over the silly MS approach of feature-itis at any expense. I honestly still have a real problem with handhelds that are much bigger than a Palm now. This device is pretty nifty in that it expands to a limited degree, but IMO there just isn't a compelling reason to deal with anything smaller than a notebook but bigger than a wallet. I think Palm is smart in that it has always recognized this limitation and incorporated it as a design criteria, but it is being pushed increasingly by the need to satisfy on spec sheets and in marketing hype.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

The other issues are a lack of a file system, and the fact that when I download software now, I actually get like four copies of a program.... one is for black and white devices, one is for colour, one is for high res colour, and one is for high res colour with Palm OS 5 sound. That's kind of annoying.

They could probably glob 'em all together into one runtime which would detect your device on the fly but then you'd have a program 4x the size it needs to be to get the job done. The PPC's have fairly similar screen/processor configs so they don't have this issue.