What to do with old 68k Macs?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok I have one LC 520 and a LC that just sit in my room. What are somethings I can do with them? Both have NICs and I have a vga adapter for the LC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Bolo. Need I say more?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    What is the point of clustering them if I still have no job to give them. I need job ideas that inprove my life.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    [Neo]

"Woh!"

[/Neo]

bolo is also a old game...

this is what you were talking about...

It is also a resturant, cluster program and some guys homepage. Google knows too much.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Bolo the sweet multiplayer tank game. There are STILL people playing it on BoloNet (I'm watching a game right now)

GOD I love these guys...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Funny, I was going to suggest bolo as well.

Alternatively, you could write your own ROM and turn the LC into some sort of appliance, but that's on the geekier side of dork.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    when he said Bolo ... i thought he meant you should tie them together at either end of a length of rope (or old cat5 cable) to be used as a weapon !!!

of course they also make really good paperwieghts !
  • Reply 7 of 12
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    install NetBSD UNIX and run then as web servers!

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/

The lowest end web server I have seen so far was a Mac Plus...

Or download the RC-72 distributed net client to contribut to the macnn team8)
  • Reply 8 of 12
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    For the LC 520, get a modem and give it to kids for the Web. Put on iCab and Netscape 4.

And:

*Claris E-mailer or Eudora light.

*ClarisWorks 4 or AppleWorks 5

*KidPix

*Various old games. Sokoban. Bachman and other games from there. Solitaire till Dawn.

*System 7.5.3. And System 7.5.5 updater.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Bolo, I suck at Bolo, though I know a complete animal. Four people ganging up on him (behind his back) and he creams them.

Will have to advise him off the link - maybe we have a new contender!

As for the LC's - cherish them. Not historic but still an important step.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Gave mine to a local school
  • Reply 12 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    There's actually quite a bit of software you can run on those old machines. A lot of it isn't particularly useful, but it is actually pretty amazing what you can do. For example, my physics teacher in high school still runs old IIsis for various scientific graphing software. He has a serial interface for connecting a geiger counter, and the software measures how many clicks the counter registers. I saw some friends of mine using this old IIsi to measure the radioactivity of orange Fiestaware, and they figured out which kind of radiation it consisted of by how far away they had to be before it started registering lots of clicks. They did the same with a smoke detector.

Another old program you can run is Voyager 1.x. I still have a copy that my parents bought me to run on my SE/30 when I was a kid. I'm planning to install it on my PowerBook 520c (once it arrives of course). A fun astronomy program, even though it's a bit dated.