When carrying your beloved laptop.....

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Do you carry it around in "sleep" mode or shut it down completely before carrying it around? Just wondering...this is my 1st notebook and the manual doesn't really say what's best (don't want to injure/maim or kill my new beast!) Thanks again for all replies...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Sleep.

I don't think I've ever shutdown my 12"PB in the three months I've had it - only restarts for updates/installs.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Sleep. Always sleep. I only shut my computer down if I leave for a while and it's not going to be plugged in (like a few days). Even then, if it's plugged in, I'll just let it sleep indefinitely. Under normal circumstances, there is no reason to shutdown. At all.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Sleep.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Sleep!

How else can you gloat having an uptime of 30+ days!
  • Reply 5 of 31
    chikanchikan Posts: 34member
    "OK"....sleep it is! Fedex just dropped off my new 15" Brenthaven carrying case. It was a tight fit, but it's definately well protected in it. Thanks for the responses! Great forum!
  • Reply 6 of 31
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Hey,

I have password enabled for screeneffects. Before I put it in the Brenthaven (awesome!) I just mouse to the lower left, trigger a saver and close the lid. Sleeps automatically. Opens and asks for password.

Also I changed my machine name to my phone number, so instead of "johnq's computer" the screeneffect says 555-555-5555. This way, if an honest person finds my laptop, they can call me, yet my stuff is moderately secure from casual snooping. (not to be confused with actually secure, which is impossible until Panther and it's File Vault (yay!))...

The Brenthaven I have for iBook holds soooo much. I love the end pockets, which hold a digital camera (Canon rules) in one and an iPod in the other.

And my Sony MD-700 DJ headphones fold up really nice, with room for an O'Reilly book, iBook power adapter and Apple Wireless mouse.

And the Brenthaven doesn't bulge, even with all that!

Not going to find many "honest people" with that little bundle of joy, eh? Ahhh...I have faith in humanity. Wait - no I don't. Nevermind.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    How long do you estimate a PowerBook can stay in sleep mode without running down the battery? I leave mine* in sleep for a few hours at a time, but I've been shutting it down when I figured I wouldn't get back to it for 12 or more hours.

*Not that I have a PowerBook right now... my old one is sitting somewhere in Australian customs, awaiting paperwork from its new owner, and my new 1 GHz 12" PB, which supposedly has finally been built and boxed up, is waiting to ship out Monday.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Is crumpler the only people who make not ugly bags? I've seen some other nice ones but non look as good. Brenthaven I'm sure makes quality bags but all black couldn't be cooler
  • Reply 9 of 31
    I have been known to let m iBookSE sleep (without being plugged in) for 2-3 days at a time .... and it has never woke with less than 50% battery.

And I don't bother with a carrying case... just toss it in my suitcase and go... these clamshells are indestructible
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

The Brenthaven I have for iBook holds soooo much. I love the end pockets, which hold a digital camera (Canon rules) in one and an iPod in the other.

And my Sony MD-700 DJ headphones fold up really nice, with room for an O'Reilly book, iBook power adapter and Apple Wireless mouse.

And the Brenthaven doesn't bulge, even with all that!

Amen to that. I've had my Brenthaven for over a year and it is the best backpack I have ever owned. 15" AlBook, Canon Powershot S30, iPod, Tungsten T2, cables, tapes, batteries, books, all fit perfectly in my pack. I have a digital production studio to carry with me everyday...so it's nice.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    in may estimation: 10 hours uses apx 5-8% battery life in sleep mode, so go ahead and leave it for a day, it won't be a big deal
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Is crumpler the only people who make not ugly bags?

Yak Pak
  • Reply 13 of 31
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
  • Reply 14 of 31
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    This is why we need "Save and Shutdown" or "Hibernate" to shut off the computer after saving the ram contents into a file on the drive.

Regarding bags, I'm looking for a hard case that has a zipper that goes all the way around, so I can use my 12" PBG4 without taking it out of the bag, and with holes on the sides. There was this site that had something looked interesting, but is kind of expensive and ugly. Lost the link, I'll look for it to better explain what I mean.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    For what it's worth, here is my analysis of the power consumption of my G5. Your laptop can't consume this much power, so the numbers would be even better:

Quote:

I was curious how much power my 1.8 GHz G5 consumed when it was running and when it was asleep, so I measured it last night.

Awake, no applications running, using an Apple 17" LCD and Apple keyboard and mouse (supplied with the G5). Total power = approx. 170 watts.

Asleep, using the button on the LCD screen = 10 watts.

Total power off, still plugged into the outlet = 2 watts.

Interesting huh? Seems like putting it to sleep is just about as good as turning it off.

• Reply 16 of 31
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

This is why we need "Save and Shutdown" or "Hibernate" to shut off the computer after saving the ram contents into a file on the drive.

According to rumors, this was originally supposed to be a feature of 10.2 but was pulled before the OS shipped. Might make it into Panther, but I doubt it.

I'd love it, personally. It's a great feature of Virtual PC, and would make a killer function for Powerbooks.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    paispais Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

... It's a great feature of Virtual PC, and would make a killer function for Powerbooks.

Personally, I much prefer sleeping the laptop. Reading and writing a very large file (640 MB for my PowerBook, for example) would take quite some time and drain the battery a little bit, as well. Sleeping and waking, however, is instantaneous, and requires no disk access.

I've got an old Toshiba Libretto 100CT that would automatically hibernate to disk if it was running low on battery. (That is, if it was sleeping and found itself at a critically low battery level, it would sync the contents of RAM to the hard disk.) That seemed like a good idea.

The problem with Toshiba's implementation was that the location of the saved RAM was hard-coded into the BIOS. If a drive was incorrectly partitioned (i.e. if you allocated all of the disk's space), it stupidly overwrote any data at the end of the disk, corrupting your data. If you left that space open, however, you had a pretty reasonable guarantee that your computer would start right where you left it, regardless of your battery life.

Perhaps if Apple implemented a similar feature correctly, we'd have a good compromise.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    What about a screen protector? Anyone here who owns a powerbook have some kind of cloth "thingy" to protect the screen from the keys?????
  • Reply 19 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    My 12" PowerBook came with a very thin foam insert between the keyboard and display, and I have just kept using it. No marks on the screen so far.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

My 12" PowerBook came with a very thin foam insert between the keyboard and display, and I have just kept using it. No marks on the screen so far.

I got my 12" PowerBook and it came with that piece of thin foam placed between the keyboard and the LCD when it is closed. I used it for about a day or two but it got annoying really quick. Plus, there's a bit of space between the LCD and the keyboard (with those tiny rubber knobs at the top left and right corner), so the keyboard never really comes in contact with the LCD (unlike the 15" and maybe the 17", I don't remember), unless sufficient pressure is placed on the LCD. Trust me, if there's enough pressure to make your keyboard touch the LCD, I would say keyboard marking on the LCD would be the least of your concern. Personally, I don't use it and there's no marking on my LCD whatsoever, but if you *really* like to keep things neat, feel free to use it.